The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ianuam
Any idea what percentage of those who received a VC award also get research council funding? I know I shouldn't be greedy, but...

I'm afraid I don't know, though I will make some enquiries and see whether there are official figures anywhere...
Reply 381
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
I'm afraid I don't know, though I will make some enquiries and see whether there are official figures anywhere...

Many thanks!
Reply 382
Hi,
I applied for Lucy Cavendish is the March round of admissions, and in the acknowledgment it said that we shouldn't expect to hear back before the 14th of March. Does that mean everyone will hear back on that day? Or does it mean anytime after the 14th?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by bubaloo
Hi,
I applied for Lucy Cavendish is the March round of admissions, and in the acknowledgment it said that we shouldn't expect to hear back before the 14th of March. Does that mean everyone will hear back on that day? Or does it mean anytime after the 14th?

Thanks in advance!

The majority of applicants should have heard back by close of play on the 14th, yes. A small handful may be contacted slightly later, if there have been extenuating circumstances which delayed the processing of their applications.
Good Afternoon

How do a couple of short interviews inform as to whether an applicant has enough resilience to cope with the intensity of the Cambridge workload?
Original post by Ladders
Good Afternoon

How do a couple of short interviews inform as to whether an applicant has enough resilience to cope with the intensity of the Cambridge workload?

The short answer is, interviews alone don't inform any judgement of this nature: interview performance is considered only in conjunction with other evidence relating to the "fit" between the candidate and their chosen course, including prior and predicted attainment, reference, and score in any subject test. That said, interviews can themselves yield some broad insight into an individual's capacity for stress management, and applicants to mature colleges in particular may be asked to assess or evidence their own resilience, and appetite for hard work.
Reply 386
Hi!
I applied to Lucy Cavendish for law this year in the second round (so, I submitted my application by March 2014) and I just heard back. I don't have a place, but I got this message:

"Our Admissions panel for Law have looked at your application and written work thoroughly and would like to consider your application in a gathered field of Affiliated applicants for Law for 2016 entry. Because of this we will not be inviting you for interview at this stage but our Admissions panel suggest that you reapply through UCAS for 2016 entry by the closing date of 15 October 2015."

and I am wondering what exactly it means? I mean - is it just the rejection letter that they send everyone? Or is it that they genuinely would like me to re-apply?

Sorry if this is obvious: I'm a little confused and I would like to have a clear understanding.

Thanks!
Reply 387
Hello Emily,

Could you please let me know if you have a email address I can send a personal message to?

Best wishes,

Zamir
Original post by ararar
Hi!
I applied to Lucy Cavendish for law this year in the second round (so, I submitted my application by March 2014) and I just heard back. I don't have a place, but I got this message:

"Our Admissions panel for Law have looked at your application and written work thoroughly and would like to consider your application in a gathered field of Affiliated applicants for Law for 2016 entry. Because of this we will not be inviting you for interview at this stage but our Admissions panel suggest that you reapply through UCAS for 2016 entry by the closing date of 15 October 2015."

and I am wondering what exactly it means? I mean - is it just the rejection letter that they send everyone? Or is it that they genuinely would like me to re-apply?

Sorry if this is obvious: I'm a little confused and I would like to have a clear understanding.

Thanks!

No, that's not a rejection letter: it's genuinely inviting you to re-apply along with other candidates for 2016 entry, in October.
Original post by Zamir07
Hello Emily,

Could you please let me know if you have a email address I can send a personal message to?

Best wishes,

Zamir

If you pm me, I will provide a direct e-mail address.
Reply 390
Hi again!
Thanks so much for your reply. So, what does that mean - why would they want to consider my application in a gathered field of Affiliated applicants? Would it be because I wasn't as competitive as the other applicants this round, or...?
I hope this isn't too many questions - thank you so much for your patience!
Original post by ararar
Hi again!
Thanks so much for your reply. So, what does that mean - why would they want to consider my application in a gathered field of Affiliated applicants? Would it be because I wasn't as competitive as the other applicants this round, or...?
I hope this isn't too many questions - thank you so much for your patience!

The March Round is not technically open for Law applicants, so there would have been few if any other applicants with whom to compare you, making it impossible to form a judgement on how competitive your application was.
Reply 392
Okay, I see. If the March round is not technically open for Law applicants, do any ever get admitted? I had read online that the March round wasn't open for law but I assumed that because it was possible to submit an application, that it was open after all.
Original post by ararar
Okay, I see. If the March round is not technically open for Law applicants, do any ever get admitted? I had read online that the March round wasn't open for law but I assumed that because it was possible to submit an application, that it was open after all.

At present, no applicants for Law are admitted in March, no, though the situation is under review. The reason you were able to submit an applications is that there's a loophole in the UCAS system allowing applications for deferred entry to go through, while applications for entry the same year are blocked.
Reply 394
I understand. Thank you for answering all of my questions! I really appreciate it.
Hi everyone,

My colleague from Christ's has hosted a number of threads allowing students to ask any questions they have about the admissions process at Cambridge, and sometimes got some rather tricky queries from older students, and those with non-standard qualifications. I'm the Admissions Tutor at Lucy Cavendish, which focuses on the education of students aged 21 and over, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applying to Cambridge as a mature student, affiliate, postgraduate, or simply a little bit later than the norm.

If you are going to be 21 or over at the time you start University, you might want to bear in mind that applications to Cambridge stay open beyond October 15, in many subjects.

I look forward to answering your questions, anyhow!

Hi I was referred here by another student from another post. I was hoping if you could help me out on my query?

I believe I have an affiliated status, being 24 and already a graduate of a BA degree. I am half Swiss-Filipino but I graduated from a Philippine University, I took up BA Communication Arts (Media, PR, Advertising, Intl Law (minor units that I took as elective).

I'm currently working as a paralegal and at the same time year 2 in a law school here. I'm actually wondering if I can take up Law at Cambridge for 2016 entry (I'm willing to start from year I)? My university Gen Ave. was a 4.2/5 or 93-95%. I am not sure whether I still need to take other tests since I don't know the a-levels and whether my grades may be considered? Or whether my 2 years in law school would actually help to give me a level perhaps from your educational system? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by missushannoying
Hi I was referred here by another student from another post. I was hoping if you could help me out on my query?

I believe I have an affiliated status, being 24 and already a graduate of a BA degree. I am half Swiss-Filipino but I graduated from a Philippine University, I took up BA Communication Arts (Media, PR, Advertising, Intl Law (minor units that I took as elective).

I'm currently working as a paralegal and at the same time year 2 in a law school here. I'm actually wondering if I can take up Law at Cambridge for 2016 entry (I'm willing to start from year I)? My university Gen Ave. was a 4.2/5 or 93-95%. I am not sure whether I still need to take other tests since I don't know the a-levels and whether my grades may be considered? Or whether my 2 years in law school would actually help to give me a level perhaps from your educational system? Thank you! :smile:

Hi there,

In order to qualify for affiliated status (which enables you to go straight into Year 2 of the Law degree here), you need to have the equivalent of a UK Honours degree, with a 2.1. The notes I have indicate that Cambridge would usually expect candidates for second degrees to hold a Master's Degree from the University of the Philippines, the Asian Institute of Management, University of Santo Tomas, Ateneo de Manila University, or De La Salle University, with 87%+. However, it is worth checking the 'value' of your degree, on the UK scale, with UK Naric (https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/).

If you're willing to start from Year 1 of the Law degree, then I think your original BA would in itself count as acceptable preparation, if it was from one of the Universities listed above. Your two years at Law School would also certainly help, though I might be able to advise further on that if you let me know which Law School you're attending, and what grades you have secured to date?
Hi there,

In order to qualify for affiliated status (which enables you to go straight into Year 2 of the Law degree here), you need to have the equivalent of a UK Honours degree, with a 2.1. The notes I have indicate that Cambridge would usually expect candidates for second degrees to hold a Master's Degree from the University of the Philippines, the Asian Institute of Management, University of Santo Tomas, Ateneo de Manila University, or De La Salle University, with 87%+. However, it is worth checking the 'value' of your degree, on the UK scale, with UK Naric (https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/).

If you're willing to start from Year 1 of the Law degree, then I think your original BA would in itself count as acceptable preparation, if it was from one of the Universities listed above. Your two years at Law School would also certainly help, though I might be able to advise further on that if you let me know which Law School you're attending, and what grades you have secured to date?

Oh I understand. Thank you. :smile: I do want to actually start year 1 so that I can understand fully the common law which is pretty much different as well from here. I'm just caught between using my BA Degree grades or my law school grades. Would it be possible for me to get your email so I can personally respond to your questions? (I don't know if I messaged you correctly on your wall as well) :smile:
Hi there!

Thanks for directing me to your page.

I have some more questions:
1) I realise that Cambridge conducts most of its interviews in December, if I were to only submit an application in March, when would I be interviewed?
2) Because of the nature of my national service, I have two chances to apply for Economics at Cambridge. However, if I get rejected the first time, will it affect my if I re-apply to the same college? Or should I apply to a different college when re-applying? (I am only looking at Hughes Hall and St Edmunds anyway)

Thanks!
Original post by jemmmylim
Hi there!

Thanks for directing me to your page.

I have some more questions:
1) I realise that Cambridge conducts most of its interviews in December, if I were to only submit an application in March, when would I be interviewed?
2) Because of the nature of my national service, I have two chances to apply for Economics at Cambridge. However, if I get rejected the first time, will it affect my if I re-apply to the same college? Or should I apply to a different college when re-applying? (I am only looking at Hughes Hall and St Edmunds anyway)

Thanks!

March Round interviews generally take place 3-5 weeks after the deadline, though the precise timing varies depending on the date of the Easter public holiday in the UK (so, this year, interviews are taking place in the week commencing March 23; last year they were in April).

The standard advice is not to re-apply to the same college, but I can see no reason why you shouldn't apply to Hughes Hall and St Edmund's, or vice versa, in consecutive years: plenty of applicants get in 'second time round', to a different college.

Latest

Trending

Trending