The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
No apologies necessary - I'm quite happy to answer questions about Graduate Entry Medicine.

There are certain minimum requirements, in terms of A-levels, and we have no leeway when it comes to these. The requirements are: A-level Chemistry at Grade A, and A- or AS- levels in two out of Biology, Maths and Physics at grade C or above (though realistically, most applicants have As or better). It is likely that you would be exempted from the Biology requirement, given your current study, but exemptions from the Chemistry requirement are rarely granted, and I always recommend that people take Maths if they can.

The good news, however, is that we do regularly exempt people from the practical element of science A-level, if they can demonstrate that they have gained some practical scientific experience during their studies. So you could, for example, sit the Chemistry theory papers only and submit the marks for those. I hope this helps!

Thank you very much. It is quite helpful to know that the practicals can be made exempt. If I can find a way to get them done, obviously I will but it is so costly.
Reply 681
Hi,

I am a 23 year old who has just completed a BSc in Financial Economics from Bangor University in North Wales, and am looking to apply to the MPhil Economics. I graduated with First Class Honours, with an overall average of 79.5%, was awarded a prize for academic excellence, was VP of the economics society and am now working at getting my undergraduate dissertation published with the help of a former professor.

That being said, do I reasonably have any chance given where I completed my undergrad? Is there anything that you can recommend to improve my profile?

Additionally, the economics faculty website asks people not to apply for more than one of their programs - is this a hard rule? I have seen a few people receiving offers for more than one program.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by masteroflendic
Hi again.. As far as I know, there are two interviews at St.edmunds for land economy; one for a subject based interview and the other one for a general/tutorial interview..
Could you please give some brief tips for preparing those interviews?
For example, I thought keep reading economics textbook and keep an eye on current affairs might be helpful for yhe subeject interview and closely looking up my personal statement anf SAQ form will be good for general interview... I have indeed no idea what kind of general questions will be asked especially for the mature student aimming for mature college...
If it is hard to specify, I will still appreciate any advice or tips for preparing interviews.

p.s I think chasing for the Dos of land economy at St.edmunds seems quite challenging!!!😅

Hi there,

Useful tips for preparing for interview and interview films are here:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/interviews
http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/video/interviews/

It sounds as though you already have some sensible ideas as to how to prepare for interviews. A general interview is likely to focus on your personal statement and SAQ, as well as your educational trajectory to date, general motivation, and realism about the demands of an undergraduate degree.

I've now had a look at some past Land Economy test papers, and I can tell you that these are essay based, with candidates given a choice of broad topics enabling them to demonstrate relevant reading and reasoning in areas such as urban growth and planning, climate change, and the politics of land ownership. All these topics can be illustrated and exemplified as the candidate sees fit. I hope this helps!
Original post by Sourestdeeds
AS Maths overall A:
C1 - 93/100 ums - A
C2 - 73/100 ums - B
M1 - 85/100 ums - A

AS Physics overall B:
Unit 1 - 98/120 ums - A
Unit 2 - 86/120 ums - B
EMPA - 41/60 ums - C

I missed about 4 weeks of lessons up to the exams due to illness, and my ability to properly revise was difficult due to having to kneel on the floor to revise as I couldn't sit down!

Candidly, I think an application to Cambridge with those scores would be ambitious. However, that is no reason not to give it a shot. The best advice I can give you is to explain the circumstances under which you took the AS levels in your personal statement and/or SAQ, as well as the challenges you are facing in terms of self-teaching A-level Further Maths.

There is no particular benefit in your sitting STEP 1 *unless* you are planning to apply after your A-levels, and want to use it as evidence, then. If you receive an offer from Cambridge we will ask you to sit STEP 2 & 3, rather than 1, anyway...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alex.D
Hi,

I am a 23 year old who has just completed a BSc in Financial Economics from Bangor University in North Wales, and am looking to apply to the MPhil Economics. I graduated with First Class Honours, with an overall average of 79.5%, was awarded a prize for academic excellence, was VP of the economics society and am now working at getting my undergraduate dissertation published with the help of a former professor.

That being said, do I reasonably have any chance given where I completed my undergrad? Is there anything that you can recommend to improve my profile?

Additionally, the economics faculty website asks people not to apply for more than one of their programs - is this a hard rule? I have seen a few people receiving offers for more than one program.

Thanks in advance.

I would think you do have a chance, yes, and I can't immediately think of anything that would improve your profile; what will determine whether you receive an offer is likely to be the strength of the gathered field, and that is difficult to predict, unfortunately.

The Economics Faculty really don't like people applying for more than one of their own courses. But, there is nothing to stop you applying for courses in other Faculties (e.g. Land Economy) or the Judge Business School.
Reply 685
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
I would think you do have a chance, yes, and I can't immediately think of anything that would improve your profile; what will determine whether you receive an offer is likely to be the strength of the gathered field, and that is difficult to predict, unfortunately.

The Economics Faculty really don't like people applying for more than one of their own courses. But, there is nothing to stop you applying for courses in other Faculties (e.g. Land Economy) or the Judge Business School.

Thanks for your response - hopefully the strength of the field turns out to be in my favour!

Are you able to give a rough outline of what the admissions tutors look for in the answers to the postgrad application questions? It's been a few years since I've written a personal statement or something similar!
Thats a shame, thanks for your reply though. Hopefully nothing is against me next year. :smile:
Reply 687
Hi I am taking a gap year but want to apply for uni in 2016. I meet the grades for my course - if they offer me a place with an unconditional offer is it likely to be before January (if I apply before then of course) or will I have to wait until admissions close - I am thinking of Leeds, Exeter, Birmingham, Loughborough and Surrey. Thanks
Original post by nippy
Hi I am taking a gap year but want to apply for uni in 2016. I meet the grades for my course - if they offer me a place with an unconditional offer is it likely to be before January (if I apply before then of course) or will I have to wait until admissions close - I am thinking of Leeds, Exeter, Birmingham, Loughborough and Surrey. Thanks

I'm really sorry, I can only answer on behalf of Cambridge - I don't know what the policies are at the universities you mention.
Hi, I am currently studying law at Chester university. I am interested in the LLM program. I had mostly 2:2s in first year. This year I have mostly 2:1s and a first so far (I had deferred some exams due to illness and will receive them shortly). I am predicted to achieve a first overall.
I wanted to ask what I would need to achieve in third year to be considered. I also wanted to ask whether my first year results would hold me back from having a realistic chance.
Reply 690
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me asking another question, sorry!

I took some time away from college due to illness, and self-studied to complete my A-levels at a later date, once I had decided that I wanted to study economics. I attended a university close to home at the time, in case of further illness.

I'm now applying for MPhil Econ. Do you think I should refer to this in the 'reason for wanting to undertake this course', or should I avoid it and focus solely on the subject etc.

Thanks
Original post by Alex.D
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me asking another question, sorry!

I took some time away from college due to illness, and self-studied to complete my A-levels at a later date, once I had decided that I wanted to study economics. I attended a university close to home at the time, in case of further illness.

I'm now applying for MPhil Econ. Do you think I should refer to this in the 'reason for wanting to undertake this course', or should I avoid it and focus solely on the subject etc.

Thanks

I think it depends how relevant you feel it is. If your illness has now passed, and you are applying on the back of good results at the university you attended, then I do not think there is any particular need to mention it: what is important, ultimately, is your academic rationale for the choice of course.
Original post by Alex.D
Thanks for your response - hopefully the strength of the field turns out to be in my favour!

Are you able to give a rough outline of what the admissions tutors look for in the answers to the postgrad application questions? It's been a few years since I've written a personal statement or something similar!

Sorry, I missed this post earlier. My general guidance would be, to keep the personal statement clearly focused on the subject you wish to study, and on your academic interests. For more specific guidance, you should probably consult the relevant Faculty, directly.
Original post by ComfortOOchefu
Hi, I am currently studying law at Chester university. I am interested in the LLM program. I had mostly 2:2s in first year. This year I have mostly 2:1s and a first so far (I had deferred some exams due to illness and will receive them shortly). I am predicted to achieve a first overall.
I wanted to ask what I would need to achieve in third year to be considered. I also wanted to ask whether my first year results would hold me back from having a realistic chance.

You will need to secure a First, overall, so your third year grades will need to be at a level that will make this possible. I don't think your first year grades will hold you back if there are clearly documented extenuating circumstances, and you are on course for a First now.
If a 25 year old were to start as an undergraduate at a non-mature college, where you advise him to meet people in a similar situation? Not that I would shun 17-18 freshers in any way, I just feel that I would be able to relate to people closer to my age a lot easier.

Would my best bet be through societies and night-life? Or, if I'm at a large college, will I find plenty of graduate students around my age to hang-out with?
Good morning, and thank you for doing this :smile:
I'd like to ask what is Cambridge's stance on self-driven study as opposed to study in the context of a sixth form or FE college? If I achieved better results when self studying A Level than when being instructed, what effect would that have on my application, if any?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FrankTeller1234
If a 25 year old were to start as an undergraduate at a non-mature college, where you advise him to meet people in a similar situation? Not that I would shun 17-18 freshers in any way, I just feel that I would be able to relate to people closer to my age a lot easier.

Would my best bet be through societies and night-life? Or, if I'm at a large college, will I find plenty of graduate students around my age to hang-out with?

There should be plenty of graduate students, wherever you are, though bear in that some colleges have separate undergraduate and graduate student unions and common rooms (or JCRs and MCRs, in Cambridge speak), which doesn't always help socializing across degree courses.

Societies and nightlife is a pretty good bet. All the mature colleges organize events ("entz"), which are open to University students generally, and are the obvious place to meet 20 somethings. There is a University mature student society, too,
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
Good morning, and thank you for doing this :smile:
I'd like to ask what is Cambridge's stance on self-driven study as opposed to study in the context of a sixth form or FE college? If I achieved better results when self studying A Level than when being instructed, what effect would that have on my application, if any?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We see an increasing number of applicants who are self-studying, and it is a very straightforward way to demonstrate not only motivation and commitment, but also the capacity for independent learning necessary to thrive at Cambridge. In that respect, strong self-study results can only strengthen your application.
Reply 698
hi,
In September I am starting my access to HE course, and would love to go to Cambridge and study psychology. My college make's you do an entrance exam to see what level you are at before starting and my tutor things i should be able to get the majority of my units at distinction, I'm also going to be doing an English language GCSE alongside and have been predicted an A. The problem is I did really badly at GCSE level at school, I got A*, 2xB and 2xC, I was wondering if i have any hope of entry with grades like that (I know its a long shot). I have lots of relevant work experience and am really passionate about the subject.
From
Kerry
Original post by Kezkel
hi,
In September I am starting my access to HE course, and would love to go to Cambridge and study psychology. My college make's you do an entrance exam to see what level you are at before starting and my tutor things i should be able to get the majority of my units at distinction, I'm also going to be doing an English language GCSE alongside and have been predicted an A. The problem is I did really badly at GCSE level at school, I got A*, 2xB and 2xC, I was wondering if i have any hope of entry with grades like that (I know its a long shot). I have lots of relevant work experience and am really passionate about the subject.
From
Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Your GCSEs will not be relevant to our assessment, so don't worry about them; the most important thing is how well you do on your Access Diploma, and which units you choose. (Some colleges prefer applicants for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences to have Biology and or Maths units, and some will accept applicants without them.)

Hope this helps!

Latest

Trending

Trending