The Student Room Group

Purchasing a set of golf clubs.

I've recently taken an interest in playing/watching golf and I think it would be wise to buy a set of clubs since I have spent around £50 on club hire alone. However, I was taken back when I found out that a beginners set (Bag, 4-9 Iron, 5/3 H and a driver) costs around £170. Indeed, it isn't the amount that is an issue but rather the fact that it is an investment and therefore there is added pressure on me to continue even though I may not like it in the long run. The problem lies within the fact that I require a set to practice, although I need practice in order to decide on a set (through improving consistency et al.).

For the moment, I've decided to cut my losses and quit playing golf since I'd rather not risk quitting after I have bought a full set. Coupled with the fact that I'm going to university and therefore may not have time to play golf, I think that I've made the right decision.

What are your opinions on this matter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
£170? That's actually pretty cheap for a golf set. My driver alone cost me £150. :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Reluctant Economist
£170? That's actually pretty cheap for a golf set. My driver alone cost me £150. :tongue:

I'm assuming that you haven't played golf for a mere two months (such as myself), in which case it's a safe investment since it'll be utilised effectively. In my case, however, I have no idea whether I'll get bored of golf after a few months which is a shame because I really enjoy it!
Original post by ImTheMedic
I'm assuming that you haven't played golf for a mere two months (such as myself), in which case it's a safe investment since it'll be utilised effectively. In my case, however, I have no idea whether I'll get bored of golf after a few months which is a shame because I really enjoy it!

One does not simply get bored of golf... It's one of them addictive sports where once you start you are hooked on for life.

I would recommend just borrowing one from a friend or something before deciding to make a purchase and I wouldn't recommend buying a starter set because their make it terrible. I had a steel shaft one as my beginner set (when I was 11) and it was really difficult to manage the speed and control of the swing with it. Once I got a customised one (13) the difference in all my shots was remarakable. Although my latest upgrade is a beauty.

What I am saying is that practising with a rubbish club set will affect your game negative and progress will be slower. So don't buy a cheap golf set. Better to just borrow for someone or look online for second hand better quality ones.
Reply 4
Just get a set of ping g10 or g15 on ebay. They will be sweet!
Reply 5
Original post by Reluctant Economist
One does not simply get bored of golf... It's one of them addictive sports where once you start you are hooked on for life.

I would recommend just borrowing one from a friend or something before deciding to make a purchase and I wouldn't recommend buying a starter set because their make it terrible. I had a steel shaft one as my beginner set (when I was 11) and it was really difficult to manage the speed and control of the swing with it. Once I got a customised one (13) the difference in all my shots was remarakable. Although my latest upgrade is a beauty.

What I am saying is that practising with a rubbish club set will affect your game negative and progress will be slower. So don't buy a cheap golf set. Better to just borrow for someone or look online for second hand better quality ones.

I've found a few online, but do you have any websites that you recommend? And did you take lessons when starting? Because my swing is decent at times although fairly inconsistent, whilst my short game is awful :c And alsooo, could you recommend a good brand? Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I've found a few online, but do you have any websites that you recommend? And did you take lessons when starting? Because my swing is decent at times although fairly inconsistent, whilst my short game is awful :c And alsooo, could you recommend a good brand? Thanks :smile:

eBay and Gumtree.

Try also Golfbidder.

You can't go wrong with Ping, Titleist, even if it's older model. They're just awesome.
I've recently taken an interest in playing/watching golf and I think it would be wise to buy a set of clubs since I have spent around £50 on club hire alone. However, I was taken back when I found out that a beginners set (Bag, 4-9 Iron, 5/3 H and a driver) costs around £170. Indeed, it isn't the amount that is an issue but rather the fact that it is an investment and therefore there is added pressure on me to continue even though I may not like it in the long run. The problem lies within the fact that I require a set to practice, although I need practice in order to decide on a set (through improving consistency et al.).

For the moment, I've decided to cut my losses and quit playing golf since I'd rather not risk quitting after I have bought a full set. Coupled with the fact that I'm going to university and therefore may not have time to play golf, I think that I've made the right decision.

What are your opinions on this matter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get a second hand set. Old clubs are better than cheap crap new clubs.

Quick Reply

Latest