The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford Law with Extenuating Circumstances

Ive been trying recently to decide whether or not its worth applyimg to Oxford this year. At GCSE, I managed to achieve all A* and A grades, yet unfortunately last year I went through a very tough period. My mother became very seriously ill, and for the first three months at college my father wss also suffering after a brutal attack in his taxi the summer I finished high school. As a result, money was tight last year and I ended up having to also look after myself as well as both my parents. I ended up getting grades of AABB, which lefte heartbroken.

Fortunately my mother underwent some major surgery at the start of the month and she is now recovering. But I dont know now whether theres any point of applying. How strict are oxford im regards ro extenuating circumstances, and how do I go about telling them about this? Its been my dream to study there since I was a kid, and I dont know what I should do now. It feels almost like I'm trying to pity my way into uni, and jjust doesnt seem very realistic anymore.
Oxford are pretty understanding from my experience! Definitely get your tutor or whoever writes your reference to explain the circumstances :smile:

AABB isn't that bad! Oxford don't look too much at AS results, so as long as it seems you'd be able to meet their offer of AAA then it shouldn't be a problem.

Your GCSEs are great, if you think you can write a decent ps and do well in the LNAT and then at interview - then it's definitely worth a shot :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jmisteradams
Ive been trying recently to decide whether or not its worth applyimg to Oxford this year. At GCSE, I managed to achieve all A* and A grades, yet unfortunately last year I went through a very tough period. My mother became very seriously ill, and for the first three months at college my father wss also suffering after a brutal attack in his taxi the summer I finished high school. As a result, money was tight last year and I ended up having to also look after myself as well as both my parents. I ended up getting grades of AABB, which lefte heartbroken.

Fortunately my mother underwent some major surgery at the start of the month and she is now recovering. But I dont know now whether theres any point of applying. How strict are oxford im regards ro extenuating circumstances, and how do I go about telling them about this? Its been my dream to study there since I was a kid, and I dont know what I should do now. It feels almost like I'm trying to pity my way into uni, and jjust doesnt seem very realistic anymore.

Definitely worth applying. I would mention it in your reference, but if you wanted to chat to someone about it send a message to the tutors at a college you want to apply to and they should be able to reassure you.
Original post by Jmisteradams

I would apply - it's only one space on an application form and the worst they can say is no :smile: One of the law tutors told me that your GCSEs and your LNAT are the key factors in getting a law interview so if you do well in the LNAT then you're still in with a shot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending