The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ducky_72
The whole Month Slash Date thing was invented by American tabloids as a catchy name for the attacks. The thing I always wondered was why call it the September 11th attacks? What is so important about the dates? They didnt call the Munich Olymic massacre 9/4 did they? Or the Titanic sinking 14/4? Why not call it the World Trade Center Attacks?

Exactly. It's naff, it's somehow emotive, and it does my bloody head in. :mad:
Reply 21
:ditto:
Reply 22
How is writing numbers emotive? Surely actually referring to something with numbers rather than a name would actually have the opposite effect: making it seem like a statistic rather than an emotional event?
Reply 23
Alex Mann
How is writing numbers emotive? Surely actually referring to something with numbers rather than a name would actually have the opposite effect: making it seem like a statistic rather than an emotional event?

It's emotive because the connotations of 9/11 are media images of people jumping out of windows, flames, burning rubble, 1 million tons of concrete, metal and glass crashing down to the ground.

When you think about it, "The World Trade Center terrorist attacks" doesn't instantly bring the same connotations.

It's because we're constantly reminded and bombarded by the media using the term "9/11" that makes us think those images.
Reply 24
Well if the media had constantly used the term 'World Trade Centre attacks' from the start instead of 9/11, then that term would have had those connotations, so I don't really see what your point is. Are you saying we shouldn't be referring to that day at all?
Reply 25
Alex Mann
Well if the media had constantly used the term 'World Trade Centre attacks' from the start instead of 9/11, then that term would have had those connotations, so I don't really see what your point is. Are you saying we shouldn't be referring to that day at all?

Precisely. The media is the biggest enemy against democracy and the way of life we take for granted.
I'm suggesting that we don't make so much of a big deal of these things. Rightfully, September 11th is a date we should all remember for obvious reasons, but the way how the media turn it into a circus every year just makes me think how smug Al Qaeda people must be feeling. It's just encouraging terrorism.
Though, the other alternative is nationalised press. Or to just liquidate the Murdoch empire.
Reply 26
Well as you said, don't let it bother us. Let them be as encouraged as they like, we don't care. Would you say then that in the aftermath of World War II, people should stopped talking about in case it encouraged the Germans to have another pop?
This doc raises some good points but i don't see what the government would have gained from it ?
Reply 28
10inchpianist
This doc raises some good points but i don't see what the government would have gained from it ?

Listen up.

Big Brother is shouting at you

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=405477&in_page_id=1770

Big Brother is not only watching you - now he's barking orders too. Britain's first 'talking' CCTV cameras have arrived, publicly berating bad behaviour and shaming offenders into acting more responsibly.

As for what people are merely calling a coincidence, here is Peter Power describing how the drill had bombs going off at precisely the places as they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGE9FiuM06o

The undeniable reality is that we have been deceived.

Why is Bush being told to talk about explosives in the WTC?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,,-6083135,00.html

For example, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed described the design of plane attacks on building inside the U.S. and how operatives were directed to carry them out. That is valuable information for those of us who have the responsibility to protect the American people.

He told us the operatives had been instructed to ensure that the explosives went off at a point that was high enough to prevent people trapped above from escaping.

Latest

Trending

Trending