The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DanGrover
Erm, for the record they aren't making a penny on it.

The schools should just offer choice. Offer the kids pasta AND burgers. That way the parents can decide what they want their kids to have. If they can't trust their kids to have the healthy option when they've been told to, don't give them any money and give them a healthy packed lunch. Leave it up to the parents, not the school or the government.

What about the parents that pay a one off payment of £100 at begining of term for school meals.
10inchpianist
What about the parents that pay a one off payment of £100 at begining of term for school meals.

... how's that relevant to what I said?
DanGrover
... how's that relevant to what I said?

I think the point 10inchpianist was making, is that if parents have paid £100 for school meals for the year, then they cant get that money back and cant stop thier kids from having fatty school meals.
Reply 23
i guess everyone has their preferences, i mean you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink, similarly if parents was to have fat kids then surely they can? i mean if my child ate sweets all the time and i tol dhim no to and he had a tooth ache i will say its your won fault, im really trying to get my brother to acknowledge that!!
I disagree with any attempt to monopolise where 500 students have to eat, whether it's healthy or not. And school meals are pretty bad: they're not actually that healthy, and while some of them are fine a lot of it costs a lot for what it is. If there is a way to not only break the monopoly but for a not-for-profit organisation to do so (albeit sourcing from profit-driven takeaways), then TBH I don't disapprove. As a matter of fact, if they covered healthier shops as well as chippies I'd vote for them.
dk9
I think the point 10inchpianist was making, is that if parents have paid £100 for school meals for the year, then they cant get that money back and cant stop thier kids from having fatty school meals.

Well that's why I said the school should provide a choice, both healthy and unhealthy. Let people decide, both the parents and if they're old enough, the kids. Not the government or the schools.
Reply 26
Stick Man
I disagree with any attempt to monopolise where 500 students have to eat, whether it's healthy or not. And school meals are pretty bad: they're not actually that healthy, and while some of them are fine a lot of it costs a lot for what it is. If there is a way to not only break the monopoly but for a not-for-profit organisation to do so (albeit sourcing from profit-driven takeaways), then TBH I don't disapprove. As a matter of fact, if they covered healthier shops as well as chippies I'd vote for them.

but they don't have to be, and to argue otherwise is defeatist. Have you seen school meals in France and Finland? Three courses, salad or soup, meat and veg main and a fruit or light dessert. School dinners don't have to be ****, and can and should be a good meal.
Carl
but they don't have to be, and to argue otherwise is defeatist. Have you seen school meals in France and Finland? Three courses, salad or soup, meat and veg main and a fruit or light dessert. School dinners don't have to be ****, and can and should be a good meal.
I agree on all counts. But my I stand by my views on monopolies in any case.
Yes, because if parents need anything, it's more financial burden.
Reply 29
DanGrover
Well that's why I said the school should provide a choice, both healthy and unhealthy. Let people decide, both the parents and if they're old enough, the kids. Not the government or the schools.

Considering the school kitchens are run by the schools, and the schools in turn are run by the government I think they have every right to decide what's served (obviously different for independent schools).

Why should the schools provide unhealthy food? I'm yet to hear a decent argument for this. I'm all for choice, yes. But why must there be an unhealthy option?
Kids are so picky these days. And yes, I blame the parents.

I hate it when kids turn up their noses to "healthy food"

Think how many kids in the world have none at all. And would give their right arm for a salad. Its sick.
Reply 31
DanGrover
Yes, because if parents need anything, it's more financial burden.

:confused:
amie
Considering the school kitchens are run by the schools, and the schools in turn are run by the government I think they have every right to decide what's served (obviously different for independent schools).

Well firstly in a large number of cases the kitchens AREN'T run by the school, but by a private company hired by the school. They are there to make a profit.

Why should the schools provide unhealthy food? I'm yet to hear a decent argument for this. I'm all for choice, yes. But why must there be an unhealthy option?

Because then they can cater for students who want that. Why shouldn't they? As long as the option for a healthy meal is there, who cares? I don't see how can be pro-choice and yet only want certain types of food in there. This isn't like smoking - the only people harmed by a bad diet are the people eating it. Again, if parents can't trust their kids and they want them to eat healthily, give them a packed lunch and no money.

By law all kids have to go to school. By law, all schools have to provide adequate meals for their students. Surely, therefore, that given parents have no choice but to send their children to school, they should at least be able to chose their food? By removing certain types of food, they are taking away that choice. They provide vegetarian, Kosher and Halaal food for those that desire it, so why not burgers for those that desire that? If they aren't willing to cater for everyone, they can't justify forcing everyone to go to school.
Carl
:confused:

Three course meals don't come cheaply, and whether it's them directly or via taxes, it's they who have to foot the bill for this three course banquet.
Reply 34
DanGrover
Three course meals don't come cheaply, and whether it's them directly or via taxes, it's they who have to foot the bill for this three course banquet.

Of course not, but I support it anyway. My 2.70€ "three course banquet" that I ate most days at uni last year, and during my week at lycée, was mostly funded by the French government, and see how much healthier their kids are. I know you're in favour of choice, and that this is completely incompatible with that, but I still hold that forcing kids to eat well at school is a good thing, and at the end of the day, their parents can feed them all the turkey twizzlers that they want to at home.
Haha, well one thing's for sure, Jamie Oliver has DESTROYED the reputation of Turkey Twizzlers. Not that they were ever thought of as healthy, but now they are THE unhealthy food. Poor turkey twizzlers.
I don't think they should have unhealthy meals next to healthy meals. A balanced meal will do.
Reply 37
I think we should offer the other parents some .22 rifles for some target practice:smile:
Zebedee
I think we should offer the other parents some .22 rifles for some target practice:smile:

Yeah, British Bulldog with a twist. THAT'll give the kids an incentive to keep fit and nimble.
I think the problem here is ignorance, and not a desire to 'kill' their kids as some seem to be suggesting. Hence the quote: "Kids need a bit of fat in their diet - there is nothing wrong with burgers and chips. At school they only get chips once a week if they are lucky." The parents are probably only commenting on their own diet, the habits of which they've passed down to their kids. They need to be stuck in a nutrition workshop or something...

Latest

Trending

Trending