The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
yorkshirelass
I think the problem here is ignorance, and not a desire to 'kill' their kids as some seem to be suggesting. Hence the quote: "Kids need a bit of fat in their diet - there is nothing wrong with burgers and chips. At school they only get chips once a week if they are lucky." The parents are probably only commenting on their own diet, the habits of which they've passed down to their kids. They need to be stuck in a nutrition workshop or something...

Are the children of the two women referred to in this thread overweight?
Reply 81
We weren't allowed to leave school during lunchbreak, and it was nothing to do with school dinners! Just general safety and common sense.
If they want to eat crap, they shoud surely bring their own packed lunch douzed in fat.
diamonday
We weren't allowed to leave school during lunchbreak, and it was nothing to do with school dinners! Just general safety and common sense.
Sure, 15-year-olds must be kept on the grounds at all times lest they talk to teh peados!!!!! (which they just do on their way home anyway).
No big deal. It's up to people to make their own choices and the school shouldn't ban people from doing that.
If the government (and Jamie Oliver - he seems to be the only one with some sense about eating in the public eye) don't start changing the schools' views on healthy eating, our NHS will go down the pan within 20-30 years I'm sure, because of the massive burden our clinically obese society will put on it. You'll see....
Reply 85
The eductaing kids to eat healthily is getting obsessive though. i have kids and I'm all for their school providing healthy meals and only allowing fruit for snacks. But the kids are told daily about the dangers of certain foods. every letter we get home has a reminder about sending your kids with healthy food. the school has achieved these healthy schools awards, which are given to schools that ban junk food and insist on healthy snacks. While the process of encouraging the kids to eat healthily is great the constant going on about it isnt. I ended up with a child obsessed about what she ate. Refusing to ever eat chips because they would kill her. Asking about the ingredients of every dinner I made. My family eats a balanced diet, young children should not be stressing about what they eat, that leads to eating disorders. Yes the schools should only offer whats good for our kids and have rules to keep them healthy, yes parents do need to be educated about eating healthy foods, but the pressure is being put on the kids and its too much for 6 and 7 year olds.
Dragonbaby
The eductaing kids to eat healthily is getting obsessive though. i have kids and I'm all for their school providing healthy meals and only allowing fruit for snacks. But the kids are told daily about the dangers of certain foods. every letter we get home has a reminder about sending your kids with healthy food. the school has achieved these healthy schools awards, which are given to schools that ban junk food and insist on healthy snacks. While the process of encouraging the kids to eat healthily is great the constant going on about it isnt. I ended up with a child obsessed about what she ate. Refusing to ever eat chips because they would kill her. Asking about the ingredients of every dinner I made. My family eats a balanced diet, young children should not be stressing about what they eat, that leads to eating disorders. Yes the schools should only offer whats good for our kids and have rules to keep them healthy, yes parents do need to be educated about eating healthy foods, but the pressure is being put on the kids and its too much for 6 and 7 year olds.

When I was sixth form, I asked for a banana in the canteen, I opened it up and it was all black inside. All the evidence you need really. The healthy food is there, but kids these days just won't eat it. Kids need to be fed healty food as a baby and at a young age so they'll become accustomed to it.
Reply 87
i hate what the mums have done... I would never feed my kids chips every day, and surely that is what is causing the obesity crisis? Kids being fed the wrong type of food from a early age.

Latest

Trending

Trending