The Student Room Group

Law and Morality (AS Level)

Hi, thanks in advance.

I've just started AS Law, at the start of September, and I'm right in the middle of doing my first assignment - an essay on the relationship between Law and Morality.

My problem is:
We've been given a 9 page supplementary essay-type set of notes, to go along with our own notes, but I'm really struggling with the jurisprudential aspect of the topic. My main problem areas are:
1) the Hart/Devlin debate - do I just need to write about Woolfenden?
2) the relevance of the debate today - I can't see how the debate, Woolfenden, and the Warnock Committee Report (and Human Fertilization etc Act 1990) are related. Is there an elephant in the room, that I'm just not seeing?

Also, I've been told to keep it to 1.5 pages, at the very maximum, aiming for 1 page. The issue is that I've done the intro (structure and sanctions, etc of laws and morals), done about Warnock's comment and cited R v R, R v Clarence, done a paragraph on drug use and abuse from the 1950s and the morality, furthered onto morality in areas of law (criminal - rape is immoral and illegal; Tort - Donoghue v Stevenson; and very briefly Contract - a single sentence; then onto votes of conscience; and that's already a page, and I haven't touched Hart/Devlin, Nature of Law, Natural Law theory, Utilitarian Legal Positivism, relevance of Hart/Devlin, or a sub-section on Airedale NHS Trust v Bland.
Should I just go over the 1.5 page limit (very much doubt I'd be penalised. I think it's just to save him reading umpteen pages of an essay, 22 times) and be as concise as possible to restrict the 'damage', or be incredibly brief and squeeze it to around 1.5-1.75 pages?

I'm really stressing about this as I'm so confused about it all! It's only due Wednesday afternoon, but I'm on the verge of staying up tonight and getting as much done as possible, just to make sure it's done on time.

Any help will be so greatly appreciated! Thank you! :-)
Reply 1
You'll probably be fine.
Original post by nohomo
You'll probably be fine.

I don't even understand what I'm writing, I'm just using as many synonyms from the sample essay-type-thing as I can, to make it seem like my own work.

Considering I'm hoping to do a degree in Law, this really isn't a good start!
Original post by The Legal Eagle
I don't even understand what I'm writing, I'm just using as many synonyms from the sample essay-type-thing as I can, to make it seem like my own work.

Considering I'm hoping to do a degree in Law, this really isn't a good start!

Hi can I use your Notes on Law and Morality please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending