The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
rawkingpunkster

LOL whos your bf?! i'm doing in singapore and i dont get to cheat :frown: at least i dont cheat. because it ultimately benefits and enriches ones experiences. (:

Haha, not my bf, but my friend's. When he came here, he was shocked to see me n my classmates actually did the English teaching thingy deep down in some village. "You guys are insane!" thus he remarked. Can't help but feel proud :king1:

One school in Jakarta requires the students to have at least 300 hours for CAS. Hehe... maybe they count "walk the dogs" and "playing cards with neighbours" or something like that as Action. :biggrin:
300????? I mean, we're doing IB for goodness' sake! Leave sometime to actually do the IB course instead of spending all your time on CAS. I probably have 300 CAS hours in total anyway but that's only because I wanted to do extra. To actually have to deadline 300 is insane.
Reply 22
My CAS folder was used for firewood by my anarchy friend...though i said he could...*must remember he takes everything literaly*

In any case I had to re write mine like a bitch, word proccesed now :biggrin:
Im finding loads of trouble with service, I got tons of actions from 2-4hours climbing every week and service was piss easy after 4hour/day, spanish courses in Spain for 3 weeks, 60 hours in one go. Service is much harder, all my school offered was visiting the abandoned elederly for half a year , which clashed with other stuff I had going on. So i'm left with 10hours of helping kids read and stumped >.<

Having to rewrite all this **** for tomorrow Im just writing 60 hours of A and C, (you think they mind if i put in one entry for like 10 days? eg. daily cycling for 20mins a day)
And hope to think of something for service, but i been told as long as my coordinator says all my stuff is valid, no point in TRYING to go over the 150 limit.

Oh Hi btw, im bored and found a forum i can bitch on :P yea when it comes to IB ill be the cynic. =D
Debate, School Newspaper, a bunch of Charity groups, Peer Leadership, Internships, and sports. I finished my CAS hours last year, I have around 400h. But I'm still doing Debate, School Newspaper, some charity groups, sports, and peer leadership. I know I'm not gonna get any extra points, but I just like doing it. I know its wierd.
At my school in India, we do mountaineering, band, social service and of course all the sports competitions and other co-curricular activities such as debate, elocution etc.
Generally, for each IB student in my school, the CAS hours comes around to 200 hours
Ardo

In any case I had to re write mine like a bitch, word proccesed now :biggrin:

Can we word process our CAS reports because I have seen my seniors toiling day and night to fill those CAS forms and I don't want tod o the same thing because it is a waste of time.
depends on the school I think, we had a booklet with set forms we had to fill in with every activity.
Reply 27
Is anyone involved with Global Issues Network?
Reply 28
Creativity

Chinese Flaw
Management conference
Music

Action

Cycling with a club

Service

Helping out at the school open evenings
4-6 hours charit work each week

Pretty much covered for CAS, just need to get it all signed up :p:
Reply 29
what is a Chinese Flaw?
Chinese Foreign Language At Work its an obscenely basic qualification that killed one of my frees a week last year. there are different levels, we did basic in the year but the exam was just learning 4 monologues and reciting them back, i learnt it all in one night :biggrin:
Reply 31
I'm doing Lawn Bowling for "Action"

Thats right. And the best bit.

51 hours for Creative
50 hours for Action
35 hours for service

and all that for my first term as a IB student. not bad?
then all i need is 15 hours to get the 150 hours needed overall.

:smile:
Reply 32
Running and after school club for younger students
Raising money for Cancer Research
Sports Leaserdship Award
Drugs Awareness Certificate
Some Service around a canal
Designed a website
Lesson support for younger students
Video Art project (still doing this - it's gunna be featured in a gallery too)
Supporting and helping out at Primary School sports days and such.
& lots of other 'one-off' projects that got a few hours in.

& my school is going to take part in BratMUN this year, so I'll be adding that on.

Still haven't got my 150 hours in either.
Reply 33
Creativity: Chinese FLAW, Debating, Piano (eventually)
Service: Fun Club, Peer Mentoring, Youth Council
Sport: Gym? (Can't think of anything else I'd enjoy - ideas are welcome!)

Total so far: 36 hours :smile: quite good for 1st term.
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post in this site. yey!:p:

uuh well.. im a junior, and its my first year doing IB.

For Creativity I'm doing MUN and HS Band, and apparently that should cover all 50hrs coz I get to go to the Taipei Conference bla bla blaaaah.

And for Action I did XC, and that gave me quite a lot of hours, but Im also gonna join Field Hockey next season, so that should be enough.

Now, Service is a problem. I signed up for First Aid, Translating, and a bunch of other things I forgot, but none of them have actually started yet.I'm gettting kind of worried.

All the seniors in my school tell me that its better to finish CAS this year, so that I have more time to deal with college aps and stuf in later. I totally agree with them, this whole "counting the hours" thing, "proporsal forms" is really tedious and annoying!

Anyone have any advice for Service??

We're on a one-week autumn break right now and I havent had a chance to talk to our CAS coordinator.. but how do you guys all know how many hours you have so far?? Do you HAVE to do the logs and stuff?? coz i havent..
Reply 35
We are given journal sheets with tables on them. So you have to fill in the activities, describe them a little, put the hours, and ask the supervisor's signature. The supervisor of each activity, NOT the CAS coordinator. In the end you just add up the total hours from your journal.

If you have a special skill in a certain sport, say basketball, you can get Service hours by coaching younger students. I did this for swimming. You get Action AND Service actually. What about visiting an orphanage or the house of old?
Spica P.
We are given journal sheets with tables on them. So you have to fill in the activities, describe them a little, put the hours, and ask the supervisor's signature. The supervisor of each activity, NOT the CAS coordinator. In the end you just add up the total hours from your journal.

If you have a special skill in a certain sport, say basketball, you can get Service hours by coaching younger students. I did this for swimming. You get Action AND Service actually. What about visiting an orphanage or the house of old?

ooooh okay thanks!:smile:
it depends on the school, I think cos each school have different forms for CAS? My CAS book had a "diary" section where you jsut put hours and describe activity and then there's this "evaluation" section that is a huge pain. you have to answer question like how is this a CAS activity, what did you learn from it blah blah blah. and there's a section to where your supervisor have to evaluate you with similar questions as well. they were such a pain cos you have to chase down your supervisors to get them to do the evaluation for you. so count yourself lucky if you dont have to do that.

My school takes CAS a bit too seriously I think. In a way it's good because then school organises most of our Service activities for us (seems to be the component hardest to get hours on) but there's this huge pressure on the CAS evaluation. There's a deadline every couple of months where our CAS coordinator take in our CAS books to check that we've been filling in the forms and everything. You dont get them completed on time and correctly, you get put in detention. Yes, seriously.
Do you think Chess would count for creativity? I mean, you have to think about the strategies and everything... lol. Please tell me if your school accepts chess team/ competitions as some sort of CAS hour. Thanks.
Reply 39
HMSChocolate
it depends on the school, I think cos each school have different forms for CAS? My CAS book had a "diary" section where you jsut put hours and describe activity and then there's this "evaluation" section that is a huge pain. you have to answer question like how is this a CAS activity, what did you learn from it blah blah blah. and there's a section to where your supervisor have to evaluate you with similar questions as well. they were such a pain cos you have to chase down your supervisors to get them to do the evaluation for you. so count yourself lucky if you dont have to do that.

Yep, in my school we have to do the self-evaluation forms too. At first I did it happily, but then it keeps getting more and more monotonous.

HMSChocolate
My school takes CAS a bit too seriously I think. In a way it's good because then school organises most of our Service activities for us (seems to be the component hardest to get hours on) but there's this huge pressure on the CAS evaluation. There's a deadline every couple of months where our CAS coordinator take in our CAS books to check that we've been filling in the forms and everything. You dont get them completed on time and correctly, you get put in detention. Yes, seriously.

Agree on the detention bit. Only, it's not for not completing the evaluation forms on time, but for not completing a certain amount of hours per quarter. Pretty similar tho'.

Latest

Trending

Trending