The Student Room Group

Will I be accepted on an English course with just an English Lang qual and not lit?

Just wanted your opinions/experiences on this topic. I'm interested in becoming a magazine journalist and am a lover of reading and writing. Obvously, I know I can't apply for an English LITERATURE course, but just ENGLISH as a whole? Is that plausible? Am I less likely to get a place?
Original post by stoppingby
Just wanted your opinions/experiences on this topic. I'm interested in becoming a magazine journalist and am a lover of reading and writing. Obvously, I know I can't apply for an English LITERATURE course, but just ENGLISH as a whole? Is that plausible? Am I less likely to get a place?

You should check the websites of universities that you're looking to apply to. They will state and required and preferred qualifications on the website. If they say they "prefer" applicants offering an English lit qualification, then it's much less likely that you'll get an offer.

If you're interested in journalism, have you considered doing a straight journalism degree? These degrees don't usually require English lit qualifications, and a lot of people do go on from them to work at magazines.

Quick Reply

Latest