The Student Room Group

got terrible igcses

hi guys i am really depressed and disappointed with my igcses. i was expecting mostly As and Bs with a few Cs perhaps but ended up getting :

A - maths
B - computer science
C - physics
C - english lit
C - drama
C - food and nutrition
D - english lang
D - history
D - global perspectives

it is especially english lit + lang and history that have disappointed me because i thought i was really strong in them and found the exams good.

is it over for me? do unis frown upon igcse resits? i am sure i could bring them up to As or Bs but is doing that even worth it or will it just hinder my a levels and not really help my application?
Original post by timm286
hi guys i am really depressed and disappointed with my igcses. i was expecting mostly As and Bs with a few Cs perhaps but ended up getting :

A - maths
B - computer science
C - physics
C - english lit
C - drama
C - food and nutrition
D - english lang
D - history
D - global perspectives

it is especially english lit + lang and history that have disappointed me because i thought i was really strong in them and found the exams good.

is it over for me? do unis frown upon igcse resits? i am sure i could bring them up to As or Bs but is doing that even worth it or will it just hinder my a levels and not really help my application?

Most universities care more about your (international?) A Level results more than your GCSEs.

I would be wary of the English Language as some universities can be picky about what grades you have in it. For maths, you should be fine with pretty much any university.

Whilst resits can be frowned upon (depending on the individual institution i.e. some don't care), the fact remains that you might not necessarily meet the grade requirements. If you need to resit your English Language, then by all means resit your English Language.

The first thing I would do is to check the entry requirements for the degree courses that you want to do, as that takes precedence over anything else.
The second thing is to check whether the colleges that you intend to take your courses at require you to have specific grades for the courses that you want to take.
I would also check whether the institutions that you want to apply at would accept resits.

As far as I know, employers only really care if you have adequate literacy and numeracy skills (I can't speak for countries outside of the UK though).

If the entry requirements for the university and college courses require you to have specific grades in specific subjects and you don't have them, I would go for the resits within the next year irrespective of whether they frown upon it or not.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest