The Student Room Group

Does the way we write affect which hand most people write with?

I was wondering whether there are more left handed people in places where they write 'backwards' (from an English person's viewpoint) eg. places where Arabic or Hebrew was the main language.

In languages such as English, French, Italian etc. that go from left to right on the page, and have the spine of the book on the left hand side most people seem to be right handed and lefties often have more difficulties eg. writing in small note books etc.

So I was wondering whether left handers were more common in places where they write in the opposite direction, as it would be easier for them to do it that way.
Reply 1
lol interesting theory! it would actually be quite logical if it worked like that! But no, the majority of the people who write backwards are also right-handed!
Reply 2
So you're saying that, in cultures where they write in Hebrew or Arabic, natural selection would favour those who are left handed? Interesting, I'll give you that, but it doesn't seem that likely.
I think the idea was that handedness is environmentally determined and so direction of writing might have a strong effect. It is known however to have a genetic component.

Left-handedness actually correlates with the amount of violence in a society, supporting the hypothesis that left-handers have an advantage in combat against the right-handed majority. However there is presumably some kind of advantage afforded by the right-handed which keeps them in the majority. What exactly is disputed.
Reply 4
i'd say, people would right with their weapon hand...normaly...back in the day. for now, it's probably, because everyone else is doing it, its normal, lets wright the same way...wright normal.

still interesting comment.
Reply 5
seashellstar
I was wondering whether there are more left handed people in places where they write 'backwards' (from an English person's viewpoint) eg. places where Arabic or Hebrew was the main language.

In languages such as English, French, Italian etc. that go from left to right on the page, and have the spine of the book on the left hand side most people seem to be right handed and lefties often have more difficulties eg. writing in small note books etc.

So I was wondering whether left handers were more common in places where they write in the opposite direction, as it would be easier for them to do it that way.

A bit of a naïve hypothesis, to be honest: any written form, whether left-to-right or right-to-left; whether horizontal or vertical, will evolve logically in accordance with its proponents. If that vanguard are right-handed, then the 'definitive' form of a script will lend itself intrinsically to such predisposition: the symbols and sigils and whatnot, having been originated and pioneered predominantly by right-handed individuals, will seem inherently counter-intuitive to a left-handed scribe. In short; if a language is to be written right-to-left, then its expression will be adapted in favour of a right-handed person performing the given act: in the case of the Roman alphabet, 'R' becomes 'Я'; 'd' becomes 'b', and so forth. I rather doubt that traditional Chinese script, being the legacy of right-handed forebears, should prove any less difficult than English for one who is left-handed to accustom themselves to.
Reply 6
Profesh
A bit of a naïve hypothesis, to be honest: any written form, whether left-to-right or right-to-left; whether horizontal or vertical, will evolve logically in accordance with its proponents. If that vanguard are right-handed, then the 'definitive' form of a script will lend itself intrinsically to such predisposition: the symbols and sigils and whatnot, having been originated and pioneered predominantly by right-handed individuals, will seem inherently counter-intuitive to a left-handed scribe. In short; if a language is to be written right-to-left, then its expression will be adapted in favour of a right-handed person performing the given act: in the case of the Roman alphabet, 'R' becomes 'Я'; 'd' becomes 'b', and so forth. I rather doubt that traditional Chinese script, being the legacy of right-handed forebears, should prove any less difficult than English for one who is left-handed to accustom themselves to.

It seems to me that by saying that 'If that vanguard are right-handed, then the 'definitive' form of a script will lend itself intrinsically to such predisposition', then in reverse if they are left-handed the script would lend itself to such a predisposition. Therefore it would seem sensible that there would be more left-handers in Arabic countries since the script, as we see it, would lend itself to let handedness.

I'm not saying that lefthanders have a real problem writing the roman alphabet. It's only a thought not a fully worked out hypothesis, I was just wondering whether what the proportion of lefthanders to right was in such countries.
Reply 7
Profesh
in the case of the Roman alphabet, 'R' becomes 'Я'; 'd' becomes 'b', and so forth.

I was always of the belief that its traditional appellation was the "Latin" alphabet.

Besides which all this ignores a basic principle of Darwinian selction that any such inadequacies must prove life threatening to a population or a species in order for natural selection to be eventuated. If it is not a mortal threat then that species will simply keep such atavistic anomalies through the generations; often creating such lusus naturae as the Panda Bear.

When your original hypothesis is considered in light of this it seems rather tenuous that - ignoring the briefness of the time mankind has used the art of writing - there would be any impluse from the process of evolution to accommodate the writing methodology. There would have been little threat to your life in any society should your learning of writing be somewhat longer than most. Furthermore, for the vast majority of people till the last century - and still so in many of the more beggarly nations of this world - were unable to write anyway.
Reply 8
seashellstar
It seems to me that by saying that 'If that vanguard are right-handed, then the 'definitive' form of a script will lend itself intrinsically to such predisposition', then in reverse if they are left-handed the script would lend itself to such a predisposition. Therefore it would seem sensible that there would be more left-handers in Arabic countries since the script, as we see it, would lend itself to let handedness.

I'm not saying that lefthanders have a real problem writing the roman alphabet. It's only a thought not a fully worked out hypothesis, I was just wondering whether what the proportion of lefthanders to right was in such countries.

Of course; predicated on the assumption that right-to-left script must be, by virtue of that characteristic alone, inherently more intuitive to those who are left-handed. Which, presumably, it isn't: given that the relevant characters are inevitably adapted to suit being written from right to left right-handedly; and hence that, as you have probably noticed, 'right-to-left' alphabets tend toward much greater abstraction and ornamentation than their Roman (or 'Latin') counterparts.
Reply 9
Original post by &#964
So you're saying that, in cultures where they write in Hebrew or Arabic, natural selection would favour those who are left handed? Interesting, I'll give you that, but it doesn't seem that likely.

Unless handedness was liked to reproductive success (which as far as we know, it isn't), then natural selection couldn't possibily have anything to do with it.
Reply 10
Profesh
Of course; predicated on the assumption that right-to-left script must be, by virtue of that characteristic alone, inherently more intuitive to those who are left-handed. Which, presumably, it isn't: given that the relevant characters are inevitably adapted to suit being written from right to left right-handedly; and hence that, as you have probably noticed, 'right-to-left' alphabets tend toward much greater abstraction and ornamentation than their Roman (or 'Latin') counterparts.

Excellent point; I hadn't considered that.
Reply 11
nikk
Unless handedness was liked to reproductive success (which as far as we know, it isn't), then natural selection couldn't possibily have anything to do with it.

Though it is perhaps relevant to point out that natural selection isn't the sole evolutionary process.
Reply 12
Huw Davies
I think the idea was that handedness is environmentally determined and so direction of writing might have a strong effect. It is known however to have a genetic component.

Left-handedness actually correlates with the amount of violence in a society, supporting the hypothesis that left-handers have an advantage in combat against the right-handed majority. However there is presumably some kind of advantage afforded by the right-handed which keeps them in the majority. What exactly is disputed.

ive quite a good idea as to the righty's advantage in natural selection though. Take an automatic rifle, eg the SA80 (shoddy rifle used by the british army) - these are only built in right-handed models, and i suspect many other rifles like the AK47 or M4 will be the same. i think there you have quite a good advantage for rightys over leftys. (you do have to fire them right handed otherwise the burning hot used cartridge would be ejected into your eye).
Automatic rifles haven't really been around long enough to make a difference in evolutionary time-scales. Not to mention handedness is observed in cultures which don't have them, right back to before the Bronze Age. And of course automatic rifles are built right-handed because most people are right-handed, not the other way around.
Reply 14
Huw Davies
Automatic rifles haven't really been around long enough to make a difference in evolutionary time-scales. Not to mention handedness is observed in cultures which don't have them, right back to before the Bronze Age. And of course automatic rifles are built right-handed because most people are right-handed, not the other way around.

Exactly

Latest

Trending

Trending