The Student Room Group

Does your handwriting effect your GCSE English results?

Thoughts...........

Scroll to see replies

You wont get marks for it being amazing but it needs to be neat and legible (able to be read by examiners) to a good extent.
Logically;

Yes very much as most of the marks from English are dictated by how the Examiner actually views your work. Now at first glance if your work is scruffy then this would put them in a bad mood as they would have to decode your words and sentences. This will result in in them probably marking you down etc...

So it is essential that your work is neat and coherent as it is often the first glance that sets the tone for the examiner.
(edited 5 years ago)
It affects all exams. If the examiner is unable to read your handwriting or the page is too messy he might not even bother to check the question and mark it as incorrect even if what you wrote is correct. Also for your English exam try to underline the important points of each question since it might make the examiner like you more since you showed them that you 'cared' a bit more.
Reply 4
Original post by DannyPT2000
Thoughts...........

Yes. I failed both my GCSE English papers at school and had to resit Language at sixth-form, because of my handwriting.
You get no extra marks for handwriting. TBH, you don't need super neat and fancy handwriting. As long as it is neat, legible and coherent and the examiner can actually read and understand what you've written, your handwriting style is irrelevant. No need for any pretty calligraphy just yet.
The mark scheme says for English to only penalise bad handwriting if it isn't legible. I've been given word processor for my English exams, so there are ways around it. :smile:
Reply 7
Thoughts...........

are you single
Reply 8
Original post by abbb786
are you single

stfu you horny guy
Reply 9
Original post by PrazzPrazz
You wont get marks for it being amazing but it needs to be neat and legible (able to be read by examiners) to a good extent.

I guess it makes sense....
Reply 10
stfu you horny guy

whoa someones feisty
Don't think so
Thoughts...........

Knowing when to use 'affect' and when to use 'effect' can also be useful so I will give you some examples:

Can your handwriting affect your GCSE grade?

You can affect to be concerned about my handwriting but I know you don't really care.

What effect will handwriting have on your GCSE grade?

How can I put my plan for better handwriting into effect?

What personal effects can I take into an exam in the UK?

Do you ever ask questions for effect?

Your answer to my question was to good effect.
Original post by Good bloke
Knowing when to use 'affect' and when to use 'effect' can also be useful so I will give you some examples:

Can your handwriting affect your GCSE grade?

You can affect to be concerned about my handwriting but I know you don't really care.

What effect will handwriting have on your GCSE grade?

How can I put my plan for better handwriting into effect?

What personal effects can I take into an exam in the UK?

Do you ever ask questions for effect?

Your answer to my question was to good effect.

What did you get in your GCSE English?
Reply 14
leave him alone
If the examiner likes in they might consider a mark or two maybe wouldn’t expect that you’d get more than that?

But if it’s terrible/illegible I imagine it may effect it a fair bit depending on how terrible it is.
Original post by abbb786
leave him alone

innit. trying to think he is smart on student room. wasteman
Reply 17
innit. trying to think he is smart on student room. wasteman

i have a friend called Danny who is attracted to me always tries to hold my hand i think he is attracted to me
Original post by Reversed Flash
Logically;

Yes very much as most of the marks from English are dictated by how the Examiner actually views your work. Now at first glance if your work is scruffy then this would put them in a bad mood as they would have to decode your words and sentences. This will result in in them probably marking you down etc...

So it is essential that your work is neat and coherent as it is often the first glance that sets the tone for the examiner.

Pretty much said what I’d say.

It shouldn’t but examiners are only human and I think there’s a possibility to be marked down/up based on the examiners happiness but it shouldn’t be anything to worry about.
Original post by abbb786
i have a friend called Danny who is attracted to me always tries to hold my hand i think he is attracted to me

Please do not comment about your personal life please

Quick Reply

Latest