The Student Room Group

What is your favourite time period in history?

Poll

What time period in British history do you find most fascinating?

Personally I found the Tudor period fascinating, what time period do you find the most interesting?

Scroll to see replies

I like the ancient times, closely followed by the modern one. The middle ages count to the least appreciate periods.
Plantagenet era, absolutely fascinating.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Plantagenet era, absolutely fascinating.

Looks like the early middle age. This era was the reason of your user name, was not it?
Original post by Kallisto
Looks like the early middle age. This era was the reason of your user name, was not it?

The era extends from the early to the late middle ages, and of course! :biggrin:
The ancient Greeks sound... interesting. :mmm:

Original post by Mr...
x

^ :ahee:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Stuarts + Saxons / Normans - Anything pre Stuart and well anything after...
Reply 7
Original post by Queen Cersei
What time period do you find the most interesting?
The future.

(Mostly, because it hasn't gone wrong yet.)
The Tudors and Stuarts were a pretty interesting time. Both were terribly unstable dynasties made worse because of the religious conflicts, the rise of naval warfare, and the various political settlements. This was the beginning of the era we still exist in today, especially in terms of our geopolitics and civil institutions.

Late medieval is a bit boring as not a lot happened in the 1300s and 1400s. Generally people were OK because the plague killed everyone off, so wages rose and everyone was happy, also we were constantly at war with France so there wasn't much going on at home. Even the Wars of the Roses I find a bit boring tbh. There were a couple of peasants' revolts but basically meh. However I find the 1100s and 1200s a bit more interesting for some reason, there were some pretty gnarly civil wars and power struggles and it seems a bit more raw. Going back further the Saxons and the unification of England were pretty awesome.

Equally not a whole lot happened under the Hanoverians except Napoleon, and really that's a story about the rest of Europe. We had the balance of power shifting towards Parliament but the Hanoverians were pretty chill about the whole thing so not that interesting. Then Victorian and later had a fair bit of stuff going on but is too recent to really feel like proper history.
The Medieval era.
Reformation in Europe 1500s followed by the modern era
I voted 'Hanoverians' as I love reading about everyday British life during that period and how the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars impacted Britain. I find a lot of the literary figures of that period, like Jane Austen and Fanny Burney, interesting to read about as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
For British history i'd say Victorian. For British colonial history i'd say the House of Hanover. For world history, Egypt-Greece-Rome.
Reply 13
Middle ages ...great and interesting.
Original post by Queen Cersei
Personally I found the Tudor period fascinating, what time period do you find the most interesting?

For British I'd go with the Victorian era, the industrial revolution, peak of an empire etc. For France, the French Revolution kicked off the biggest change in Europe which led to the Napoleonic era, era that truly changed Europe into the Europe that we know today :h:
The Third Jedi Purge.
Reply 16
The Greeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greek or Roman... so far.
The Edwardian era is rather fascinating I find and I would call that my favourite period in history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
70s

Quick Reply

Latest