The Student Room Group

IGCSE english tips

Ive just started year 10 and my schools changed from AQA to IGCSE. So far i find it really daunting, so does anyone have any exam tips or things i might need to know about the exam board?
Reply 1
I go to a private school so I do IGCE - trust me, it's not that big a deal. Anybody (even those who feel they're weak in English) can pull an A out of the bag when it comes to the exam. All you really have to do is follow very carefully the instructions given by your teacher because it's very likely that they know what they're talking about.

If you have a useless teacher, keep looking online for past papers and model answers and if you continue to practice, you will eventually be good enough to get the highest marks.

The IGCSE exam board is relatively strict but that's because most schools really start practicing for IGCSE from Year 9 so I guess you're on a bit of a back foot however 2 years is more than enough time to get used to the way the exam board works. If your answer is good, it's good, it really doesn't matter about the exam board.
Reply 2
IGCSE solely means International GCSE - It isn't an exam board.
There are several IGCSE exam boards - CIE (Cambridge) is the most common one but there are IGCSE for Edexcel as well (I think there is one for AQA).

If you mean CIE - I sat it last May. I got an A without any preparation and as a second language speaker.

My tip is that you should do past papers. CIE IGCSE English language is ALWAYS in the same format - 1st question is a heavy writing question which requires you to write a diary, letter, report etc. 2nd question is always "writing effect" which doesn't require a good grammar or any other writing skills, but makes you think. 3rd question is always 2 summary question.

You will gain most out of past papers seriously.

Remember though, the coursework essays (3) are a big chunk of the final grade. So be creative, use thesaurus, and don't leave until last minute (I left it last minute and done it over 2 nights or something lol it was a huge stress)
well sleep with the teacher. An a* secured

Quick Reply

Latest