The Student Room Group

Anyone on here sat Advanced Higher Applied Maths: Stats?

I have found a private college where I can sit the exam. Only problem is... I'm pretty sure one of the NABs has some sort of practical component to it.

Am I right in thinking that two of the NABs are just going to be like an other Maths NAB that I've sat at Intermediate 2/Higher/Advanced Higher? Whilst one is more "practical" in that you have to carry out some sort of task?

I know Unit 3 is just bits and bobs from the AH Maths course.

Can someone explain what the more practical NAB consists of and whether it'll be possible for me, as a private candidate, to prepare for it just using the Maths in Action textbooks?
Reply 1
Original post by ddhurst
I have found a private college where I can sit the exam. Only problem is... I'm pretty sure one of the NABs has some sort of practical component to it.

Am I right in thinking that two of the NABs are just going to be like an other Maths NAB that I've sat at Intermediate 2/Higher/Advanced Higher? Whilst one is more "practical" in that you have to carry out some sort of task?

Can someone explain what the more practical NAB consists of and whether it'll be possible for me, as a private candidate, to prepare for it just using the Maths in Action textbooks?

Asked my maths teacher about this too and she said it was a doddle. I bought the textbooks for regular maths thinking I'd be self-teaching - they're balls, although we don't exactly have a choice (plenty online resources anyway).

Is the subject interesting?

Also, did you just ask colleges if you can sit the exam and NABs there? Is it easy to get accepted like that?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ddhurst

There's a practical assignment for each of the two stats units. Fairly straightforward and you should be able to do these in your own time. The ones I got were some sort of analysis of the quality assurance process of a production line in unit 1, and then sampling to compare word/sentence length of two different novels in unit 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending