Scroll to see replies

I *really* don't see what you're getting at :smile:
Reply 2
tanusha-tomsk
I *really* don't see what you're getting at :smile:

Yay, I'm not the only one.
Reply 3
Descriptive Linguists ftw!

Yeah, there's no such thing as wrong. Just non-standard. And by gosh, is it interesting.

I still correct people all the time. Most linguists are hypocrits like that.

My family isn't like how you've described, really. People in general can be though.
Reply 4
dogtanian
Descriptive Linguists ftw!

Yeah, there's no such thing as wrong. Just non-standard. And by gosh, is it interesting.

I still correct people all the time. Most linguists are hypocrits like that.

My family isn't like how you've described, really. People in general can be though.

Cunning Linguists pwn Descriptive Linguists.
Reply 5
Mad Vlad
Cunning Linguists pwn Descriptive Linguists.

Being cunning and descriptive ain't mutually exclusive...

:ninja:
Reply 6
dogtanian
Being cunning and descriptive ain't mutually exclusive...

:ninja:

A descriptive cunning linguist! :eek:
Reply 7
Well it depends, if you speak a Northern dialect such as Yorkshire, Cumbrian or a South Western dialect it is considered rather moddish now. Very strong Estuary English and other lower class South Eastern (excluding Cockney) accents probably retain the most opprobrium.
Reply 8
Ferrus
Well it depends, if you speak a Northern dialect such as Yorkshire, Cumbrian or a South Western dialect it is considered rather moddish now. Very strong Estuary English and other lower class South Eastern (excluding Cockney) accents probably retain the most opprobrium.

Respec' bruv :p:
Reply 9
Demon_AS
Respec' bruv :p:

Ya know watta meen.
Reply 10
I think I just about got the idea, yes :wink:. I felt that the irony of the fact that I come from Kent was too large for me to pass on the opportunity to comment :p:
Reply 11
Demon_AS
I think I just about got the idea, yes :wink:. I felt that the irony of the fact that I come from Kent was too large for me to pass on the opportunity to comment :p:

Oh don't worry - I'm from Kent too (and still living here, Birmingham is my university) - though admittedly from Maidstone, not Chatham, thank God.
Reply 12
Ah, Maidstone! That's awesome (well, not the fact that you're from Maidstone :p:, but Kent is cool) - I'm from Canterbury, myself. What course you studying?
Reply 13
History and Politics.

Canterbury has a resolutely RP accent, Maidstone, less so - although the town is fairly variegated with respect to accents - but it's not quite Chatam.
Reply 14
My accent is fairly RP, although, personally, I think it's becoming a rarity in these parts. Nowadays all I hear is variations in "chav" :p:.
Reply 15
I prefer distinguished linguists.
Reply 16
Segat1
I prefer distinguished linguists.

Bah, you speak that bastardised dialect known as "Australian English".
Ferrus
Very strong Estuary English and other lower class South Eastern (excluding Cockney) accents probably retain the most opprobrium.

Actually, Estuary is fast taking over RP as a prestigious accent. :smile:
The nightmare of A level English just came back to me.
I love my dialect, up north they say I sound like a posh farmer lol.
However they are generally fading as more people travel.
Reply 19
dogtanian
Actually, Estuary is fast taking over RP as a prestigious accent. :smile:

The milder form of the accent (such as I have), is, yes. But the extreme part-cockney, part-carribean, part-asian, part-chav farrago that constitutes the most abect extremes of Estuary carry with them social disdain that was once the preserve of extreme northern or cockney accents.

Latest

Trending

Trending