The Student Room Group

parents don't want me in a relationship...oops

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Guills on wheels
then it's f****** outrageous that they'd do that.

what were your parents reasons for not letting you have a boyf?

<<mods, please don't report me, it's only an "f">>

they think it will interfere with my studies
Your parents only want the best for you. Obviously a lot of the time, you might not be able to help getting into a relationship like you have but if I were in your position, I wouldn't get into a relationship. It will obviously distract you from your studies at least a little and I personally feel my parents know best and right now, I feel A Levels are a lot more important than anything else. I think that, in time, your mother will find out anyway, so why not just tell her? It's much easier and she might understand and help you through it.
Reply 22
Original post by Magnesium
Your parents only want the best for you. Obviously a lot of the time, you might not be able to help getting into a relationship like you have but if I were in your position, I wouldn't get into a relationship. It will obviously distract you from your studies at least a little and I personally feel my parents know best and right now, I feel A Levels are a lot more important than anything else. I think that, in time, your mother will find out anyway, so why not just tell her? It's much easier and she might understand and help you through it.

yeah i guess...think i'll postpone me telling her for a bit until i can show her that i'm mature and responsible enough to manage both things. thanks!
Original post by Tiffany03
yeah i guess my relationship with my sister is alright....she has a boyfriend too and told my mum when she started uni...although i don't know if that happened during high school too and kept it a secret :/ i have contemplated telling my sister...but not too sure if i should...cos she could use it to blackmail me...in a joking way! but still risky...haha or she could take it in a mature way...who knows!
yeah my bf is prepared i think too, plus he's won like several academic awards so surely that'll reassure my mum that the relationship won't pull me down academically?
ye i tried to have a wider social group and invited him plus his other friend over once...was awkward at first but quite fun! though I'm no longer close to any of his friends...:/
i will definitely stay prepared...thanks! :smile:
Why would she blackmail you? You may be pleasantly surprised if you ask your sister (adult-to-adult) for her advice over a difficult conversation you need to have with your mum. Talk about your feelings over this and ask her how she dealt with it. It will strengthen your relationship with her and I'm sure she will be on your side. Do this face to face if you possibly can.
Reply 24
Original post by uberteknik
Why would she blackmail you? You may be pleasantly surprised if you ask your sister (adult-to-adult) for her advice over a difficult conversation you need to have with your mum. Talk about your feelings over this and ask her how she dealt with it. It will strengthen your relationship with her and I'm sure she will be on your side. Do this face to face if you possibly can.

erm..cos we are really immature when with each other haha:bigsmile:
okay! i'll try talking to her soon..when she decides to actually come home :smile:
If I were you I just wouldn't say anything until it's more serious. Not worth the bother

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by donutaud15
If I were you I just wouldn't say anything until it's more serious. Not worth the bother

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah that's what i thought too...i think i'm gonna wait for a bit then :smile:
they think it will interfere with my studies

from being in a relationship as well as A2s, it really won't.

have you ever had a relationship whilst doing A levels? It's not that hard and I lived with my gf.
Original post by uberteknik
invoking her wraith

Original post by Guills on wheels
from being in a relationship as well as A2s, it really won't.

have you ever had a relationship whilst doing A levels? It's not that hard and I lived with my gf.

I've never had one. You lived with your girlfriend? :redface:

I think that whilst i'd be able to cope with a relationship, i don't know whether it's the right time for me and it also depends on whether you meet someone who you like/likes you back :lol:
It is a boyfriend, not a bomb! Just tell them. :smile:
I've never had one. You lived with your girlfriend? :redface:

I think that whilst i'd be able to cope with a relationship, i don't know whether it's the right time for me and it also depends on whether you meet someone who you like/likes you back :lol:

yeah, we lived together. My parents really liked her and she really liked staying with me and to be honest, for the 7 months we did before she went to uni (we're still together though) it worked really ****ing well. At the age of 16/17.

I'm quite proud :')

That is true, yes.
yeah that's what i thought too...i think i'm gonna wait for a bit then :smile:

It's best like that.

Original post by Nav_Mallhi
It is a boyfriend, not a bomb! Just tell them. :smile:

To quote my husband (we were in similar situation as OP) 'aud's parents blew up like a h bomb'

Pretty sure OP would want to avoid that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending