The Student Room Group

My job.

Getting work as a student is bloody hard. I've been unemployed since July, and finaaaally got myself a new job after sending around about 1000 application forms. (Ironically, for the job I'm at now, I handed in the application form about 2 years ago. Only now have they gotten back to me.) My official job title is a 'Party Hostess'. I work in a converted factory, which is now a sort of Wacky Warehouse thing. It's alright. Minimum wage. The kids are fine. It's the PARENTS you want to watch out for. Jesus, the power goes to their head. It was my first day on Sunday and I had one woman berating me because of the noise. "Don't look at me like that you ****ing whore", I quote. What a bitch. Anyway, I'm not really party hostess material, so I might quit out of spite.

All done. I just had to tell someone.

I envy all in retail positions. I don't envy waitresses / waitors because unless you work for Frankie and Benny's, I know what a crap job it is.

I want a retail job. Pleeeeease.
1000?? seriously? I know it's not a walk in the park getting a job but I wouldn't have thought anyone would have to go to those measures and still be unsuccessful
Reply 2
I feel your pain. 1000 applications is kind of alot :eek:
It's so difficult getting a job where I live. My sis hates coming back from uni for the holidays coz it's so much easier for her to get a job in Portsmouth than in Birmingham.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Getting a job as a student it is no hard in the Russia. Getting the GOOD job it is VERY hard. Besides, "employers" often deceive a students.
Bloody hell,1000 applications!

Why not apply to Asda?AFAIK they are always looking for people and they can transfer you between stores so you can work at uni as well if you want.I think they ask for a minimum of 12 weeks work across the year and you must work the Christmas and Easter holidays.Quite flexible I think.I thought of applying but I live 2 bus rides(about 1 1/2 hours) from my nearest Asda.
Reply 5
I remember when I was looking for an au-pair job, sent out loads of applications (although less then 1000) and finally got one. I've been working for a family for a year already, but when my course starts I must find another job and I'm freaking out already cause don't know where to start.:frown:
Reply 6
Working in retail isnt really that great you know. You'll get the same sort of people moaning about refunds+ faulty items, people who shove you out of the way and talk to you like sh*t because they think you're some stupid shop girl with no intelligence.

Ive just quit my retail job because I was sick of it, theres no way I could do that full time as a career. Its just not for me.
Retail sucks but is wayyyy better than waitressing(where you just get hell for even breathing),bar work(drunk people slobbering all over you-euch) or telemarketing(you can imagine)...

It's easy work and if someone starts swearing at you or being a tad too abusive you don't even need to listen to them.Just walk off.

People always look down on me like I'm stupid because I work in a shop(the other day this guy was like 'I'd like a can of coke...you know what a can is?A metal thing?...patronising c**t).....I just get 100 times snobbier with them,it's amusing to make them quiver.

Retail is good because if the customer messes with you you can mess with them right back.
cherrychocolate
Bloody hell,1000 applications!

Why not apply to Asda?AFAIK they are always looking for people and they can transfer you between stores so you can work at uni as well if you want.I think they ask for a minimum of 12 weeks work across the year and you must work the Christmas and Easter holidays.Quite flexible I think.I thought of applying but I live 2 bus rides(about 1 1/2 hours) from my nearest Asda.

I did apply to ASDA back in the dim dark past.. and got turned down! Same with Lidl, Sainsburys, Tesco, Cool Trader..

I didn't literally send out 1000 applications. I sent out probably about 60. Much less than 1000. Still 59 too much though.
Yeah cherrychocolate, definitely.. I used to get some idiots like that when I was a waitress. Like.. "a.. BOTTLE.. of.. water.. not a glass! A.. BOTTLE.. it has a cap like this.." One chap, I quote, "excuse me miss, my wife is awfully thirsty and I think she'd like.. ahh, do you have.. Coca.. Cola? And can you put it in a glass? Are you sure you can do that?"

I am blonde.
where i live its well easy to get a job specially now the uni students have gone away. A couple months back we had 0% unemployment
Bloody Uni students.
Reply 12
Call centres (not cold calling or sales) - ideal student job...flexible hours and good pay, plus you just sit and talk on the phone all day lol

Latest

Trending

Trending