The Student Room Group

Should I demand my predicted grades early?

OK while am writing this I realise that I sound very rude???

But anyway, I have completed my personal statement and I am wanting to apply right now. Mainly because I want to go to York and the course is new so there are only 20 places. This is for geography and the environment.

However, I just found out today that I have to wait until after October half term before I can apply because our predicted grades are given out in 2 weeks alongside subject teacher references, then we have to wait for our form tutor to right our full reference. Then it gets checked by the head and deputy head of the sixth form and then they get checked by the teacher who is in charge of UCAS and then we can finally get them sent off.

My only problem is that I am a retaker I retook as after getting BBCE, now having ABBBB and as I have to declare my results I have ABBBBCE. I am unlikely to be considered in the first place let alone if I apply so late after the October deadline for Oxbridge and medicine candidates.:frown:

More importantly I don't see the point in waiting to apply just because I have to wait for my references and predicted grades. The predicted grades should take like a couple of minutes. My sixthform is very small with only 180 A2 students and I also attended the secondary school so the teachers know me well already so writing a reference shouldn't be difficult.

OK rant over. I am sorry if I come off as a bit of a T*** but this is really annoying me it is like waiting for GCSE and A level results even though we shouldn't have to wait.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kingdoo

But anyway, I have completed my personal statement and I am wanting to apply right now. Mainly because I want to go to York and the course is new so there are only 20 places. This is for geography and the environment.

However, I just found out today that I have to wait until after October half term before I can apply because our predicted grades are given out in 2 weeks alongside subject teacher references, then we have to wait for our form tutor to right our full reference. Then it gets checked by the head and deputy head of the sixth form and then they get checked by the teacher who is in charge of UCAS and then we can finally get them sent off.

My only problem is that I am a retaker I retook as after getting BBCE, now having ABBBB and as I have to declare my results I have ABBBBCE. I am unlikely to be considered in the first place let alone if I apply so late after the October deadline for Oxbridge and medicine candidates.:frown:

More importantly I don't see the point in waiting to apply just because I have to wait for my references and predicted grades. The predicted grades should take like a couple of minutes. My sixthform is very small with only 180 A2 students and I also attended the secondary school so the teachers know me well already so writing a reference shouldn't be difficult.

OK rant over. I am sorry if I come off as a bit of a T*** but this is really annoying me it is like waiting for GCSE and A level results even though we shouldn't have to wait.

Why do you have to demand them now? Offers aren't given out on a first come, first serve basis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Also "demanding" them may not give you the best references when they get round to writing them.
Unless you need your reference done for the 15th October, there's no difference in when you apply. It's frustrating having to wait, but you won't be disadvantaged for it.
I demanded my references early and pressurised my teachers into giving it me, also forced one of my teachers to predict me an A* and tried to blackmail my other ones into a similar thing but they resisted. Idc about the reference because I already have offers from warwick and southampton lol , typical state school being slow whilst an independant probably do the references before the student needs it
Reply 5
Original post by Coffeetime
Why do you have to demand them now? Offers aren't given out on a first come, first serve basis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they kinda are first come first serve especially if you exceed their predicted grades. Well depending on the unis you apply to but I am not applying to Oxbridge or any other top uni, although I appreciate that York and my other choices are still quite highly ranked. Its just because I already know people (from looking at the threads here) that York has already started to give out offers from students applying early. Since there are only 20 places and 20 students get offers then...
Reply 6
Original post by kingdoo

Your sixth is not 'very small', mine had about 25 A2 students...
Reply 7
Original post by CRW1996
Your sixth is not 'very small', mine had about 25 A2 students...

Well compared to the other 2 main sixth forms with over 1000 students I say we are quite small. Plus if you take away the people who aren't applying for ucas. The ones who have already applied as our school makes Oxbridge deadlines set at during this week of October. So lets say it is therefore 150 students. Plus the class sizes are not very big. Psychology about 10, economics 12/13, geography 12/13 it is not that big of a task?
Reply 8
Original post by Magnus Taylor
I demanded my references early and pressurised my teachers into giving it me, also forced one of my teachers to predict me an A* and tried to blackmail my other ones into a similar thing but they resisted. Idc about the reference because I already have offers from warwick and southampton lol , typical state school being slow whilst an independant probably do the references before the student needs it

Funny thing is I already know I am going to be predicted ABB/AAB. I asked for an A* because I got 86% in my psychology but I said it is fine if they don't predict me an A*. Mainly because my psychology teachers are really nice. As for references, my teachers said they will be really easy to write because all of them have taught me for such a long time. And I am a really good student:biggrin:. My 2 economics teachers have already written it. And my other teachers aren't that far behind because they have to finish them by Wednesday next week. But it is all the checking that goes on which is time consuming. Say they finish next Wednesday that is fine. I then have to wait until the week after on Friday to get my grades/references. I then have to wait for my tutor reference although she has told me that she has pretty much written it already and hasn't started others because she has taught me for so long and I am a 'hardworking, tenacious' student :wink: her words not mine lol.
Reply 9
Original post by kingdoo
Well compared to the other 2 main sixth forms with over 1000 students I say we are quite small. Plus if you take away the people who aren't applying for ucas. The ones who have already applied as our school makes Oxbridge deadlines set at during this week of October. So lets say it is therefore 150 students. Plus the class sizes are not very big. Psychology about 10, economics 12/13, geography 12/13 it is not that big of a task?

My sixth forms A2 physics class had only 1 person :tongue:. I'm not saying your school shouldn't be quicker predicting your grades, I was just pointing out that 150 students in A2 is not a small sixth form.
Original post by kingdoo
Well they kinda are first come first serve especially if you exceed their predicted grades. Well depending on the unis you apply to but I am not applying to Oxbridge or any other top uni, although I appreciate that York and my other choices are still quite highly ranked. Its just because I already know people (from looking at the threads here) that York has already started to give out offers from students applying early. Since there are only 20 places and 20 students get offers then...

a) they make more offers than 20 for the course - they always over offer because not every candidate is going to firm/insure, and out of those not every candidate will necessarily meet the offer

b) have you seen anyone for your course specifically? it's common for offers to be given out earlier, especially when there's a bigger intake for a course, and where they over offer more. They give the students an offer now, because they will always give them the offer anyway if they were going to wait until January. They're not taking "your place" if they were always going to get an offer over you (stronger application). Admissions departments know what they're doing with offers, and the lack of restriction over candidates with ABB+ makes it far more flexible now.

c) teachers have other things to be doing, this isn't an urgent priority. A couple of weeks more isn't going to disadvantage you - heck, that's still even quite early in the scheme of things.
Reply 11
Original post by Nymthae

a) they make more offers than 20 for the course - they always over offer because not every candidate is going to firm/insure, and out of those not every candidate will necessarily meet the offer

b) have you seen anyone for your course specifically? it's common for offers to be given out earlier, especially when there's a bigger intake for a course, and where they over offer more. They give the students an offer now, because they will always give them the offer anyway if they were going to wait until January. They're not taking "your place" if they were always going to get an offer over you (stronger application). Admissions departments know what they're doing with offers, and the lack of restriction over candidates with ABB+ makes it far more flexible now.

c) teachers have other things to be doing, this isn't an urgent priority. A couple of weeks more isn't going to disadvantage you - heck, that's still even quite early in the scheme of things.

A: yeah I understand that but the amount of offers will still be much lower than the other unis I am applying to where there are around 120 or more spaces. And also on the open day they said if you are ABB or above we will give you an offer straight away (unless like poor GCSES or something). Therefore, if you apply during November you are unlikely to receive an offer.:frown: Plus it was really popular (surprisingly so since it was a new course).

B: Yes I have and they said they are basically doing a first come first serve basis since it is a new course and they are not sure how may students will be applying despite the popularity on the open day. So I am pretty sure if I don't applying before the beginning of November (which is during half term) I won't be given the offer because the application was too late.

C: While I agree to an extent, my sixth form is very new about 4 years old, it is competing against some of the best public sixth forms in the country. They have only had one Cambridge applicant because that person had already got her grades so got an unconditional offer and one person to UCL. This is actually really looked down upon from my area (I live in Cambridgeshire) and Cambridge university is only like 20mins drive from the sixthform) since 'Hills Road' the other sixth form has had so many people going to superb unis. I think the best uni which quite a few people have gotten into from my school is Warwick but I think Warwick has been very lenient in the past few years.
Reply 12
Original post by CRW1996
My sixth forms A2 physics class had only 1 person :tongue:. I'm not saying your school shouldn't be quicker predicting your grades, I was just pointing out that 150 students in A2 is not a small sixth form.

Well lucky them they must have done so well :tongue:. I am just trying to point out that my sixth form is the smallest yet probably one of the slowest to send off references and applications. The other 2 sixth forms I believe have already started to send applications off.:frown:
Original post by kingdoo

There are quite a few people on here that work in university admissions. They will tell you that is not true. They don't just run out of offers.
Reply 14
There are quite a few people on here that work in university admissions. They will tell you that is not true. They don't just run out of offers.

Then they wouldn't have to do any rejections no? Anyway it is more because it is a new course so the competitiveness of getting in is greater since there are only 20 spaces. I guess we will see if I get an offer though when I send my application of in November which I do perceive as too late. Late October at the latest I would have thought no?
Original post by kingdoo
Then they wouldn't have to do any rejections no? Anyway it is more because it is a new course so the competitiveness of getting in is greater since there are only 20 spaces. I guess we will see if I get an offer though when I send my application of in November which I do perceive as too late. Late October at the latest I would have thought no?

I'm not going to argue with you. Good luck on your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I'm not going to argue with you. Good luck on your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does that mean I won haha I never win arguments. Anyway thanks it probably won't make a difference but waiting to apply is agony lol.:smile:
Original post by kingdoo
Does that mean I won haha I never win arguments. Anyway thanks it probably won't make a difference but waiting to apply is agony lol.:smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2497135
Reply 18

Thanks. What is your actual opinion on this though. What will the uni do if they send out like 40 offers before I apply and they all firm. They won't be able to give me an offer in this case would they?
Original post by kingdoo
Thanks. What is your actual opinion on this though. What will the uni do if they send out like 40 offers before I apply and they all firm. They won't be able to give me an offer in this case would they?

My opinion is the same as PQ's, who works in admissions, and that is that the admissions tutors know exactly how to give out offers, because that's their job and the universities have been doing it for decades. They know exactly how to pace it. Read the thread I posted and the sticky on the subject at the top of this forum. It really, really, really isn't first come, first served.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending