The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

Guys for my summer mock I got a c( 2 marks off from a b) in econ right. And for my predicted grades they’ve kept it the same as my mock grade, they haven’t even put it up by 1. any advice for me so I can ask them to change it
Hi I am a current year 13 who has just finished A-Levels, here is what I have to say ...

First argue your case and say to them that you were very close to the B and therefore it will be reasonable for them to give it to you.
Show them the entry requirements for the course you want to do and therefore the importance of having predicted grades that match or are higher then what the uni requires.
If you aren't any early applicant (so not applying to Oxbridge, medicine, dentistry or veterinary science), then when come back after summer you school should give you more tests to do. Revise for these to prove that you are able to get a B or even an A, A*. Even if you are an early applicant (like how I was this year) you still have to time to prove your self and boost your grade.
In the process don't get demoralised, if you're school is anything like mine a lot of people were able to get their grades raised by 1 or even 2 in some cases, but you have to put the work in! At the end of the day most schools don't won't want to hinder you from getting offers to the courses you want to do. Because at the end it is up to you to get the actual grades in order to be accepted.
God bless
I hope this helps xx

P.S. It is very easy to get caught up in predicted grades and how this affects your uni application, but make sure to also reflect on your mock and see what things in econ you are struggling with and need extra support. Iron out those issues you have with the AS content so that when you go into Year 2 you will be able to grasp the other content more easily xx
Reply 2
Original post by MsBobatea123
Hi I am a current year 13 who has just finished A-Levels, here is what I have to say ...

First argue your case and say to them that you were very close to the B and therefore it will be reasonable for them to give it to you.
Show them the entry requirements for the course you want to do and therefore the importance of having predicted grades that match or are higher then what the uni requires.
If you aren't any early applicant (so not applying to Oxbridge, medicine, dentistry or veterinary science), then when come back after summer you school should give you more tests to do. Revise for these to prove that you are able to get a B or even an A, A*. Even if you are an early applicant (like how I was this year) you still have to time to prove your self and boost your grade.
In the process don't get demoralised, if you're school is anything like mine a lot of people were able to get their grades raised by 1 or even 2 in some cases, but you have to put the work in! At the end of the day most schools don't won't want to hinder you from getting offers to the courses you want to do. Because at the end it is up to you to get the actual grades in order to be accepted.
God bless
I hope this helps xx

P.S. It is very easy to get caught up in predicted grades and how this affects your uni application, but make sure to also reflect on your mock and see what things in econ you are struggling with and need extra support. Iron out those issues you have with the AS content so that when you go into Year 2 you will be able to grasp the other content more easily xx

Thank you so much, I’ll make sure to revise over the summer but even for pschyology I got an A and I’m still predicted an A I think it’s unfair cos the other people in my class who got an a are predicted A*s.
Also for my school they’re only giving exams to the stem subjects in the beginning of September to allow them to boost their grades and not for other subjects like humanities is that normal
Original post by Fatos.z
Thank you so much, I’ll make sure to revise over the summer but even for pschyology I got an A and I’m still predicted an A I think it’s unfair cos the other people in my class who got an a are predicted A*s.
Also for my school they’re only giving exams to the stem subjects in the beginning of September to allow them to boost their grades and not for other subjects like humanities is that normal

Your welcome :smile:
How come your teachers are doing that it sounds very unfair put that point across to them and say why don't they predict you an A* too. If they don't listen try telling your head of year, or head of sixth form. And I see what you are saying about the exams, I didn't do humanities so I am not too sure but maybe in some of your frees in Year 13, ask your teachers if you can sit and do a mock AS past paper in front of them and then they could mark it later. If they let you do that and you do well on them, hopefully they can boost your grades up too.
If you don't mind me asking what grades do you need for your university course ?
Reply 4
Original post by Fatos.z
Guys for my summer mock I got a c( 2 marks off from a b) in econ right. And for my predicted grades they’ve kept it the same as my mock grade, they haven’t even put it up by 1. any advice for me so I can ask them to change it

What grae have you been working at during the year?
Reply 5
How come your teachers are doing that it sounds very unfair put that point across to them and say why don't they predict you an A* too. If they don't listen try telling your head of year, or head of sixth form. And I see what you are saying about the exams, I didn't do humanities so I am not too sure but maybe in some of your frees in Year 13, ask your teachers if you can sit and do a mock AS past paper in front of them and then they could mark it later. If they let you do that and you do well on them, hopefully they can boost your grades up too.
If you don't mind me asking what grades do you need for your university course ?

Teachers are judged on the accuracy of their predictions and there is no point in over-predicting. Hardly anyone ends up in clearing in my school because we predict fairly ... at other schools many miss offers and end up struggling in clearing and then to get accommodation - how does that help them?
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
What grae have you been working at during the year?

I was betting bad at the beginning of the year cos I wasn’t revising but now I’m getting good. Like B’s and A’s
Reply 7

thank youu and I want to go to queen Mary to do law which requires A* AA I think
Reply 8
Original post by Fatos.z
I was betting bad at the beginning of the year cos I wasn’t revising but now I’m getting good. Like B’s and A’s

So your prediction is reasonable. You now need to work over the summer and ask to be retested in September. Teachers don't routinely up grades from assessments - if my students don't reach their predictions then I am questioned as to why. Unis also recognised schools that over-predict.
(edited 9 months ago)
They should at least change it by 1 grade above
Original post by Muttley79
Teachers are judged on the accuracy of their predictions and there is no point in over-predicting. Hardly anyone ends up in clearing in my school because we predict fairly ... at other schools many miss offers and end up struggling in clearing and then to get accommodation - how does that help them?

But realistically we are not telling the OP that their teacher should boost them from a U to A*, because that is not the situation we have at hand here. OP got a B but would like an A, and an A to an A*. All they want is to be able to get an offer and I appreciate the point you have made about not giving accurate predictions, but in all honesty we both don't know what the OP will get on their results day but at least they could have the chance of gaining an offer to potentially go on the course they really want to do.
Original post by Fatos.z
thank youu and I want to go to queen Mary to do law which requires A* AA I think

Ah okay, hopefully if they boost you one up you will meet the entry requirements. But I think you are within reach :smile:. If it is any conslidation I did Bio and I got constant Bs throughout the year and a B in my year 12 mock. I came back in September and did really well on the AS papers we were set (got As in both), and from there my teacher predicted me an A* ! They were very reluctant though and thought an A was safer, but said to me it is within reach as long as I work hard. Once the results come out this year I will see whether the predications were accurate.
But realistically we are not telling the OP that their teacher should boost them from a U to A*, because that is not the situation we have at hand here. OP got a B but would like an A, and an A to an A*. All they want is to be able to get an offer and I appreciate the point you have made about not giving accurate predictions, but in all honesty we both don't know what the OP will get on their results day but at least they could have the chance of gaining an offer to potentially go on the course they really want to do.

WHy should they be boosted beyond what they are likely to get? They'll end up in clearing which is pointless.

Quick Reply

Latest