The Student Room Group

Kingston University Science Foundation Year

Hi Everyone,

I visited Kingston University Life Sciences yesterday for the Open day, and I fell in love with it.

I would like to study Biomedical Sciences, but I lack the traditional qualifications to acquire a place on the course.

I am currently in my last year studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Sciences.

Obviously, I wouldn't be able to get straight onto the degree.

At the open day, I tried to get some information about the foundation year, and no one really knew anything (maybe because it is taught at the college) the only thing that they told me was that a lot of people apply for this course, which made me worry whether I would get a place.

I am just wondering whether anyone else had done it and could give me some tips, because at the moment I am a bit in the dark with it.

Do you think I have a good chance of acquiring place?

Any help at all would be appreciated,

Connor
Original post by connorfrench96
Hi Everyone,

I visited Kingston University Life Sciences yesterday for the Open day, and I fell in love with it.

I would like to study Biomedical Sciences, but I lack the traditional qualifications to acquire a place on the course.

I am currently in my last year studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Sciences.

Obviously, I wouldn't be able to get straight onto the degree.

At the open day, I tried to get some information about the foundation year, and no one really knew anything (maybe because it is taught at the college) the only thing that they told me was that a lot of people apply for this course, which made me worry whether I would get a place.

I am just wondering whether anyone else had done it and could give me some tips, because at the moment I am a bit in the dark with it.

Do you think I have a good chance of acquiring place?

Any help at all would be appreciated,

Connor

Hi Conor,

I'm so pleased that you loved Kingston, that's great. Have you looked on our website www.kingston.ac.uk at our foundation degrees?

People are right that it is a popular course but try not to worry! Make yorself stand out in your personal statement as to why you want to study Biomedical Sciences, what is your passion? You sound really enthusiastic so make sure that comes across in your personal statement.

You say you can't get onto the degree straight away? Entry requirements are currently 280-320 UCAS points which is DMM to DDM. As you said though if you don't feel you will achieve these grades then the foundation year is good way to go.

Take a look on our website and let me know if you have any other questions!

Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador
Original post by Kingston University
Hi Conor,

I'm so pleased that you loved Kingston, that's great. Have you looked on our website www.kingston.ac.uk at our foundation degrees?

People are right that it is a popular course but try not to worry! Make yourself stand out in your personal statement as to why you want to study Biomedical Sciences, what is your passion? You sound really enthusiastic so make sure that comes across in your personal statement.

You say you can't get onto the degree straight away? Entry requirements are currently 280-320 UCAS points which is DMM to DDM. As you said though if you don't feel you will achieve these grades then the foundation year is good way to go.

Take a look on our website and let me know if you have any other questions!

Student Ambassador

Hi Chloe,

Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated!

Yes! Don't worry I have scoured both websites (KU & KC), on the website, the foundation year seems perfect to me!

With a BTEC in Sport and Exercise Sciences, I am unable to join the degree straight away, because of the subject that I am choosing. I am due to get at least a DDD.

Therefore the foundation year is the only option for me!

I am really enthusiastic! I would love to study at Kingston more than anything!

My passion is human body, and disease. I would love to go onto study Graduate entry Medicine after Biomed! My dream is to become a doctor!
Hi Chloe,

Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated!

Yes! Don't worry I have scoured both websites (KU & KC), on the website, the foundation year seems perfect to me!

With a BTEC in Sport and Exercise Sciences, I am unable to join the degree straight away, because of the subject that I am choosing. I am due to get at least a DDD.

Therefore the foundation year is the only option for me!

I am really enthusiastic! I would love to study at Kingston more than anything!

My passion is human body, and disease. I would love to go onto study Graduate entry Medicine after Biomed! My dream is to become a doctor!

Hi Connor

I'm glad I could help.

It sounds like you have a good plan! As I said make sure the passion and enthusiasm you have comes across in your personal statement, talk about the specific parts you are interested in as you have here and link them to specific areas of learning on the degree if you can.

Good Luck with becoming a doctor, I really hope all goes well for you!

Let me know if you have any questions at all at any stage of the process.

Student Ambassador
Original post by Kingston University
Hi Connor

I'm glad I could help.

It sounds like you have a good plan! As I said make sure the passion and enthusiasm you have comes across in your personal statement, talk about the specific parts you are interested in as you have here and link them to specific areas of learning on the degree if you can.

Good Luck with becoming a doctor, I really hope all goes well for you!

Let me know if you have any questions at all at any stage of the process.

Student Ambassador

Hi Chloe,

Thank you for the help!

It is much appreciated, and thanks for the good luck. This is one of the main reasons I loved Kingston, how friendly everyone is.

Connor :smile:
Hi Chloe,

Thank you for the help!

It is much appreciated, and thanks for the good luck. This is one of the main reasons I loved Kingston, how friendly everyone is.

Connor :smile:

Hi Conor, as Chloe says your personal statement is a great opportunity to stand out, have a look at the PS builder here on TSR...really useful https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/basic_information

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending