The Student Room Group

Liverpool GEM (A101) 2015 entry

Not seen a thread for this so figured I'd make one! Who else is applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone else on here applying for GEM?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am! I had been meaning to create an account for a week now to reply but it kept slipping my mind.

Also applied to the undergraduate course as well at Liverpool along with the A101 courses at Swansea and Nottingham. How are you feeling with this wait?
Reply 3
Original post by TranquilRawr
I am! I had been meaning to create an account for a week now to reply but it kept slipping my mind.

Also applied to the undergraduate course as well at Liverpool along with the A101 courses at Swansea and Nottingham. How are you feeling with this wait?

Finally someone! I've applied to Swansea too :smile: I'm a little nervous about the GAMSAT results, I just hope I've done enough in section 2! How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha I did my GAMSAT last year when I applied while doing my MRes. It was hilarious as I had done loads of work for my UKCAT and got 732.5, did some first aiding at Creamfields then headed on holiday, by the time I realised the GAMSAT was a week away I only did about 3 days revision, not even kidding with the UKCAT score I was far to relaxed about it and it was horrifying hearing people say they did only 3-6 months revision and should have done more. Got 61 average with 59,66,60 I think in the end so just used that for this year.

I got rejected last year from Liverpool because I didn't realise my MRes course finished after the medicine course would start, only by a week or so but apparently it counted, my bad!. On the plus side I emailed and asked the cut off score used soon after, apparently it was 57 if that's any interest to you?

How confident do you feel? Personally I thought that my section 2 had gone horribly because I ended up rushing to finish my second essay which was probably at least 2 paragraphs shorter than the first. You will be surprised what you may actually get when you think its gone bad. :smile:
Reply 5
Haha I did my GAMSAT last year when I applied while doing my MRes. It was hilarious as I had done loads of work for my UKCAT and got 732.5, did some first aiding at Creamfields then headed on holiday, by the time I realised the GAMSAT was a week away I only did about 3 days revision, not even kidding with the UKCAT score I was far to relaxed about it and it was horrifying hearing people say they did only 3-6 months revision and should have done more. Got 61 average with 59,66,60 I think in the end so just used that for this year.

I got rejected last year from Liverpool because I didn't realise my MRes course finished after the medicine course would start, only by a week or so but apparently it counted, my bad!. On the plus side I emailed and asked the cut off score used soon after, apparently it was 57 if that's any interest to you?

How confident do you feel? Personally I thought that my section 2 had gone horribly because I ended up rushing to finish my second essay which was probably at least 2 paragraphs shorter than the first. You will be surprised what you may actually get when you think its gone bad. :smile:

That's a great ukcat score! I got 680, so pushing my luck a little with applying to Warwick.

It must be more relaxing already having your gamsat score. I have no idea how I've done on section 1, section 2 i did awful and then I think section 3 was fine. A lot of people have said they didn't like section 3 so I'm hoping that boosts my score! Knowing the rough cut off is good, well I hope depending on what I get haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it was last years, I would assume that based on nosing through both TSR and Newmediamedicine that GAMSAT cut offs tend to be pretty stable moving up or down by 1 or 2 points at most....at least the past few years that is. Also it is a bit yes but my score dosen't mean much until the SEP 2014 scores are out and I can place mine in context.

Yeah last years but my UKCAT this year was about 642.5 it was a last minute afare and I didn't prep well for it obviously. I got to selection center last year at Warwick and did my undergrad there, it's a really nice medical school though I hope you don't mind a bit of a walk from main campus. Though at least the walk is through a nice woodland area.

Where is your preference of places?
Reply 7
Well it was last years, I would assume that based on nosing through both TSR and Newmediamedicine that GAMSAT cut offs tend to be pretty stable moving up or down by 1 or 2 points at most....at least the past few years that is. Also it is a bit yes but my score dosen't mean much until the SEP 2014 scores are out and I can place mine in context.

Yeah last years but my UKCAT this year was about 642.5 it was a last minute afare and I didn't prep well for it obviously. I got to selection center last year at Warwick and did my undergrad there, it's a really nice medical school though I hope you don't mind a bit of a walk from main campus. Though at least the walk is through a nice woodland area.

Where is your preference of places?

Ah fair enough. My sister went to Warwick for her undergrad and I've visited :smile:

Liverpool is my first choice, followed by Swansea. Then Warwick and then SGUL. Yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KirstieW
Ah fair enough. My sister went to Warwick for her undergrad and I've visited :smile:

Liverpool is my first choice, followed by Swansea. Then Warwick and then SGUL. Yours?

Liverpool A101 preferably because of all the extra funding plus living 20 minutes from the city center by train I know the area very well, plus having done a masters already in the uni I also am familiar with the facilities. A100 second, yeah probably have to live at home for another 3 years at least but oh well sacrifices for the dream! After that pretty split between Swansea and Nottingham, no overly strong preference.

I do have to say I am surprised there are not more people who have responded? Looking at it the past 2 years liverpool A101 has had hardly any threads or discussion from applicants... wonder if they are also lurking like I was haha
Reply 9
Liverpool A101 preferably because of all the extra funding plus living 20 minutes from the city center by train I know the area very well, plus having done a masters already in the uni I also am familiar with the facilities. A100 second, yeah probably have to live at home for another 3 years at least but oh well sacrifices for the dream! After that pretty split between Swansea and Nottingham, no overly strong preference.

I do have to say I am surprised there are not more people who have responded? Looking at it the past 2 years liverpool A101 has had hardly any threads or discussion from applicants... wonder if they are also lurking like I was haha

It would work out so much cheaper being able to live at home!

Yeah, I've hardly seen anything in the way of people applying there. I'd like to know the stats. I know a lot of people don't meet requirements and therefore don't apply so I would guess at application numbers being lower, but how low compared I have no idea.

There has to be more people. So far I've seen 2 people other than me, including you ha.

Also, how do you think they're going to do the interview? They haven't said whether or not it's going to be MMI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Make that 4 people in total!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I've hardly seen anything in the way of people applying there. I'd like to know the stats. I know a lot of people don't meet requirements and therefore don't apply so I would guess at application numbers being lower, but how low compared I have no idea.

There has to be more people. So far I've seen 2 people other than me, including you ha.

Can you not entice them into adding their voice to ours? It makes the wait less lonely...though maybe more stressful with more theories whizzing about!

I have no idea really. I sort of hope for a panel interview as I know what to expect there. The assessment center at Warwick was a bit horrific for me, the normal interview was fine the rest was....a tad surreal to say the least haha. I know that the panel interviews are about 15 minutes long and that most people tend to say they are really friendly and mostly relaxed about it.

The main issue I think will come up is if they ask you why Liverpool and you start describing your learning style and how they teach, with them altering the course it has been an issue with how to describe it now. The intercalating 4th year medics who were on my MRes said that it is PBL for them but they had heard it was becoming more 'Case lead learning' rather than 'Problem based learning'. Hoping that between us or among the undergrad applicants it can be figured out in time!
Reply 12
Can you not entice them into adding their voice to ours? It makes the wait less lonely...though maybe more stressful with more theories whizzing about!

I have no idea really. I sort of hope for a panel interview as I know what to expect there. The assessment center at Warwick was a bit horrific for me, the normal interview was fine the rest was....a tad surreal to say the least haha. I know that the panel interviews are about 15 minutes long and that most people tend to say they are really friendly and mostly relaxed about it.

The main issue I think will come up is if they ask you why Liverpool and you start describing your learning style and how they teach, with them altering the course it has been an issue with how to describe it now. The intercalating 4th year medics who were on my MRes said that it is PBL for them but they had heard it was becoming more 'Case lead learning' rather than 'Problem based learning'. Hoping that between us or among the undergrad applicants it can be figured out in time!

Yeah, it's supposed to be 'integrated learning' but not entirely sure what that means ha. But I think it's a mixture of CBL, lectures, placements etc.

Not sure whether I want it to be a panel or MMI, I've never had an interview so not entirely sure what to expect!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure whether I want it to be a panel or MMI, I've never had an interview so not entirely sure what to expect!

Is this your first time applying? What was/is your undergrad?

The only interview I got last year was at Warwick. Dosen't really matter whether you get 1 or 4 you only need the one offer. I'm sure you will be fine, you will get plenty of time to revise for them all. The warwick one especially as it tends to be Feb-March and you get invites around mid december to mid January. At the least we should both get a response from Swansea before december starts. Ideally we will both get liverpool interviews and nail them too!
Also correction to my previous comment. Double checked that email from Liverpool and they said the cut off for 2014 intake was 56 with no less than 50 in all sections not 57 overall, but again it is only a rough guideline to go on.
Reply 15
Is this your first time applying? What was/is your undergrad?

The only interview I got last year was at Warwick. Dosen't really matter whether you get 1 or 4 you only need the one offer. I'm sure you will be fine, you will get plenty of time to revise for them all. The warwick one especially as it tends to be Feb-March and you get invites around mid december to mid January. At the least we should both get a response from Swansea before december starts. Ideally we will both get liverpool interviews and nail them too!

Yeah my first time. I'm in my final year of a BSc Medical Sciences (with Professional Training Year) which means I took a year out in industry sort of thing. Hoping to get a first overall.

Just one offer will be amazing as it's so difficult to get in. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet if I don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah my first time. I'm in my final year of a BSc Medical Sciences (with Professional Training Year) which means I took a year out in industry sort of thing. Hoping to get a first overall.

Just one offer will be amazing as it's so difficult to get in. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet if I don't.

In some ways I do think the graduate route will mean you are better prepared for what you will encounter at Medical School, having to learn ways for self directed learning and such. Plus having the degree before hand does give you something to fall back on for a while.

When I didn't get in when I applied during 3rd year of my BSc I had made the back up plan to study a masters. On top meaning I could carry on studying something I still kind of found interesting it also meant I got the chance to see if I enjoyed research at all, great for knowing if an alternative career in scientific research or if I am interested in being heavily involved in clinical research further down the line. Plus it had the added benefit of getting to see what another uni was like and having an extra qualification to fall back on. At the same time getting a job and using it to either build up your CV/work exp and building up funds would also be great in its own right.

If I don't get in this year I am tempted to do a PhD then maybe give it one more shot at the end of said PhD. Do you think you have a personal cut off for when you decide you will stop applying?
Reply 17
In some ways I do think the graduate route will mean you are better prepared for what you will encounter at Medical School, having to learn ways for self directed learning and such. Plus having the degree before hand does give you something to fall back on for a while.

When I didn't get in when I applied during 3rd year of my BSc I had made the back up plan to study a masters. On top meaning I could carry on studying something I still kind of found interesting it also meant I got the chance to see if I enjoyed research at all, great for knowing if an alternative career in scientific research or if I am interested in being heavily involved in clinical research further down the line. Plus it had the added benefit of getting to see what another uni was like and having an extra qualification to fall back on. At the same time getting a job and using it to either build up your CV/work exp and building up funds would also be great in its own right.

If I don't get in this year I am tempted to do a PhD then maybe give it one more shot at the end of said PhD. Do you think you have a personal cut off for when you decide you will stop applying?

Definitely. It has been said that graduates make better doctors. In my degree I do small group learning too which is an advantage.

I don't really want to do a masters as I can't really afford to, but I've also got some research experience from my year in industry and through my dissertation project so I sort of know what its like. If I don't get in I'll probably take up a healthcare job and apply next year. If I don't get in then then I'll probably apply for a PhD and then see if I still want to apply after that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Definitely. It has been said that graduates make better doctors. In my degree I do small group learning too which is an advantage.

I don't really want to do a masters as I can't really afford to, but I've also got some research experience from my year in industry and through my dissertation project so I sort of know what its like. If I don't get in I'll probably take up a healthcare job and apply next year. If I don't get in then then I'll probably apply for a PhD and then see if I still want to apply after that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm currently at Bristol and the head of the med school here has said he'd prefer if medicine was grad only.

Thought I'd peek in :tongue:
Original post by SpringNicht
I'm currently at Bristol and the head of the med school here has said he'd prefer if medicine was grad only.

Thought I'd peek in :tongue:

Yeah I can understand the benefits of it, though I doubt there will be any sudden change in consensus toward grad entry only any time soon. The way dubious future of the grad courses as it is right now is concerning enough.

Quick Reply

Latest