The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

I've applied for Abbeyhill (standard and large) and Deaconess. I'm an Economics firmer btw :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Mbxx
You will! Ive added you, its melissa brown :-) x

I tried to add you melissa but it wouldn't let me haha?? x
Reply 262
Original post by sophieeelauren
I tried to add you melissa but it wouldn't let me haha?? x

Oh thats weird?! I will try add you! :-) x
Hi everyone! I'm having a bit of a dilemma with accommodation, hopefully someone can help me? I live in Edinburgh at the moment but my family and I are moving to Aberdeen in a few months' time after I've finished at college so really I need to be in some kind of student accommodation when I come to UofE in September. I'm not sure what to do about applying since my current address is within travelling distance of the uni so I wouldn't be guaranteed accommodation but my new address won't be be. I do know the address of the house as we've already bought it and are doing it up etc at the moment but we won't be moving in for quite a while yet - so which address do I put down on my application? If I put down my current one I might not get accommodation and would have nowhere to live but I'll need to have applied by the time I move into my new house!
Original post by Ribena100
Hi everyone! I'm having a bit of a dilemma with accommodation, hopefully someone can help me? I live in Edinburgh at the moment but my family and I are moving to Aberdeen in a few months' time after I've finished at college so really I need to be in some kind of student accommodation when I come to UofE in September. I'm not sure what to do about applying since my current address is within travelling distance of the uni so I wouldn't be guaranteed accommodation but my new address won't be be. I do know the address of the house as we've already bought it and are doing it up etc at the moment but we won't be moving in for quite a while yet - so which address do I put down on my application? If I put down my current one I might not get accommodation and would have nowhere to live but I'll need to have applied by the time I move into my new house!

You need to email or call accommodation services about this. Their number is 0131 667 1971.
If worse comes to worse, then I'd recommend using your knowledge of the city to find a space in a private flat or go to a private self-catered accommodation
If one type of accommodation is oversubscribed...how are students allocated? Is it purely by merit i.e exam results from summer 2015, first come first served or random?
Original post by gnathaniel1
If one type of accommodation is oversubscribed...how are students allocated? Is it purely by merit i.e exam results from summer 2015, first come first served or random?

Accommodation allocation isn't based on merit or exam results for sure. Mostly it's random/lottery based. But there is also a methodology involved.

First they'll select all people from outside EU, and try to put all people from one department/school in one place and stuff like that...
Can anyone tell me how large typical rooms in Deaconness, Blackfriars or Abbeyhill like what is the layout like and are they quite social?
Original post by Libby_4
I have firmed a conditional offer for Veterinary Medicine and I am trying to decide what (self-catered) accommodation to go for and finding it really difficult to figure out what would be best for me.. I have had a look on the website and think Warrender Park Crescent and Warrender Park Road look like they are in such a lovely area, and would also be good for me as the bus journey to the vet school would be quite short. However looking at the photos I am a bit worried about the rooms and kitchens looking really small and there not being a 'common room' sort of area to go to, has anyone stayed at either of the places and found this to be a problem..? I also looked at Mansion Fountainbridge due to it being close but also am a bit hesitant as it isn't just Edinburgh students and I am keen to be in halls with other students, also the area around doesn't look quite so nice? Deaconess also looks great but it is a bit further away from the vet school and a bit more expensive so I would want to make sure it is worth the extra, so if anyone has stayed there it would be great to hear a bit about the area, facilities, rooms etc. Any advice on any of the accommodation would be so welcome, I really want to make sure I have made the right choice!! Thanks

Im going in to Veterinary Medicine too! Im deciding right now and don't know what to pick. I think I am going to pick Sciennes since everyone seems to like it and its not that far from anything. Then maybee east Newington Place and Frasers Croft. Does anyone have any opinions of those places??
Original post by hummingthrough
Accommodation allocation isn't based on merit or exam results for sure. Mostly it's random/lottery based. But there is also a methodology involved.

First they'll select all people from outside EU, and try to put all people from one department/school in one place and stuff like that...

really? they told me (and say on the site) that they try and mix people up by nationality/subject so you'll be with a range of people
Original post by michele394
really? they told me (and say on the site) that they try and mix people up by nationality/subject so you'll be with a range of people

Hmm, I'm confused now. Lets wait for a couple of months, we'll find out.
Original post by michele394

That sounds like a brilliant idea. Being stuck in an international school in this country with a lot of single race cliques is not exactly fun. (International student btw)
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone! I have firmed my conditional offer for MMath at UoE and according to my preliminary grades I'm likely to be in Edinburgh in September. So I thought it was a good time to think about accommodation. :smile:

I'm looking for self catered accommodation and I'd love to be as close to the university as possible. I've heard that Meadow Court and Sciennes are close so I'm thinking about them. I have a limited budget so en-suites are out, unfortunately. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. :smile:

Also, I know you might not get what you asked for but is it possible to end up somewhere completely different? Like in my case ending up in Pollock Halls or in some expensive en-suite far away from university?
The opinion on here seems to be not to go for pollock halls ... Why is that? Chancellors court looks really nice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 274
Original post by kelodo
Hi I'm also a mature student, will also be 26. Will be applying to sciennes, not sure where else yet. What have you applied to do?

Hi :smile:
Glad to hear there's another mature student! I've gone for deaconess and blackfriers as they are closer to the uni. I'm hoping to do MA music, how about you?
Original post by a320airbus97
I've applied for Abbeyhill (standard and large) and Deaconess. I'm an Economics firmer btw :smile:

I really like Abbeyhill and Deaconess too I reckon I'll be applying for the same :smile:
Without really looking into the accommodation in much detail (stupid I know) I have applied for Chancellors Court, Holland House and John Burnett House as I liked the idea of having an en-suite. However looking through this I am worried that I will labelled as a rich kid and not necessarily be with very like minded people so am worried I've made a mistake! I'm just looking to have a great time and meet some people I can enjoy my first year at uni with..Also if I did decide I wanted change my choices does anyone know if this is possible?
Reply 277
Original post by lydrose
Hi :smile:
Glad to hear there's another mature student! I've gone for deaconess and blackfriers as they are closer to the uni. I'm hoping to do MA music, how about you?

I'm hoping to do Physics direct entry to second year so need to be close to the Kings buildings (also not too far from nightlife). I'm sure there will be lots of mature students, I am use to studying with teenagers atm as I am doing A levels but will be nice to have people of a similar age too. Are you doing A levels?
I'm really interested in South clerk street and sciennes. I know sciennes will be fairly social because of the common room, but does anyone know if South clerk street is? I know it's a bit smaller in size, so less students. Thanks.
Reply 279
Original post by kelodo
I'm hoping to do Physics direct entry to second year so need to be close to the Kings buildings (also not too far from nightlife). I'm sure there will be lots of mature students, I am use to studying with teenagers atm as I am doing A levels but will be nice to have people of a similar age too. Are you doing A levels?

I see, well that sounds good :smile: I'm sure you don't need it but good luck! :smile: I'm doing an access to he course currently but all my lessons are with mature students, I think the youngest one is 21! How have you found your a levels?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending