The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

What is the student culture at Edinburgh like

I hold an offer at Edinburgh and I am wondering what the vibe of students and the culture is like. Are there different cliques and types of students here, is is easy going, quite etc?
Thanks 😊
Reply 1
Bumping this thread because I'd like to know; I've been considering Edinburgh as well.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by scfc05
I hold an offer at Edinburgh and I am wondering what the vibe of students and the culture is like. Are there different cliques and types of students here, is is easy going, quite etc?
Thanks 😊

Depends what you're studying but I think in general it's quite posh. This may be just my warped perspective from a lower income household but a large majority of people seem to just be in their own little world. The whole of catered accommodation (Pollock) has a university-wide bad rep, with residents saying things such as: "Well, why wouldn't you be a Tory" or, when conversing with the low-life scum of non-catered accommodation: "But like...what do you eat every night? Do you just order takeaway everyday???". Even filtering out the Pollock residents the university is full of Londoners and boarding school students who often form into elite cliques very quickly. There are good people here, you just have to find them, assuming you're not in the aforementioned categories. I would apologise for my disdainful tone but honestly ugh, just so sick of it at this point. If you do fall on that side of the fence, you'll be fine. If you don't, find some normal people fast or the culture might drive you up the walls. That being said I'd say putting up with that side of things is still worth it for the course quality, city, and everything else. Edinburgh is such an incredible place to study and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending