The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ineternet in hall's just got crap.

At least the new rules are a disgrace.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/facilities/resnet/rules/

As an example, their limitations explicitly ban ( among other things):

The ability to be able to connect more than one computer, or registered network device at a time through any given outlet. (Extending the network by using hubs, switches or wireless access devices is strictly prohibited).

Connecting machines running server operating systems or services (including for example DHCP, DNS, web servers, etc) to the Network Connection provided in your room.

Damn glad I opted for private accomodation this year. From what I gather even runing an OpenSSH server would be dissalowed, and you can just forget about having your desktop and laptop connected at the same time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wait does that apply the same for shared rooms? or is there just more than on outlet?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
miss_snake
wait does that apply the same for shared rooms? or is there just more than on outlet?

I'd imagine there are two outlets in shared rooms meaning you are allowed 2 machines in total.
i don't really understand why its got crap because i don't have a clue what the rules are on about.
is there a certain amount of hours we can use the internet in a week?
Reply 4
fairygirl21
i don't really understand why its got crap because i don't have a clue what the rules are on about.

You most likely won't notice it if you just use the web for browsing web-pages or reading e-mail, but beyond that it starts getting dodgy. As an example, if you have both a laptop and a desktop you are not allowed to connect both of them at the same time.

Another good one is found in the terms and conditions:
15. Accept that the University is not a commercial Internet Service Provider (ISP) & as such does not operate a compensation policy for disruptions to the ResNet Service. The service is operated on a non-profit basis & the introduction of a compensation policy for periods during which the service is not available would result in rent increases.

Havingc omnpared university accomodation offers to the local private accomodation I can tell you that the non-profit part of it is about as non-profit based as Microsoft's turnover.
Reply 5
come again...?

simple terms for us who don't have a phd in computer...ness?
Reply 6
Jonatan

Havingc omnpared university accomodation offers to the local private accomodation I can tell you that the non-profit part of it is about as non-profit based as Microsoft's turnover.

how much would you usually pay monthly for accommodation off campus (including the utility bills)? i'm particularly interested in leam. thanks
Reply 7
fairygirl21

Oh my god! I hope there isn't a limit on the number of hours of using the internet per week. That would be horrible. Some of us need to use it alot apart from e-mailing for academic purposes.
Reply 8
...academic purposes?? que?

:smile:
Reply 9
calm down there. there is no time limit. but there's upload/download limit. 1.3 GB per week and this 5 GB per month. which isn't that bad (more than enough for normal use). no downloading movies anymore though... damn
Reply 10
music?
Reply 11
aluakz
how much would you usually pay monthly for accommodation off campus (including the utility bills)? i'm particularly interested in leam. thanks

I dunno about leam, but our house in earlsdon, which includes water and a broadband connection ( a real one, as opposed to the university nonsense ), is £55 per person per week ( 4 person house ), but you need to add gas and electricity to that ( tho that is true for the off-campus university accomodation as well ).
Reply 12
well the gas/electricty is certainly not more than £10 per person per week, so approx £65 I'd say including utilities.
Reply 13
minicoopa
music?

The page says you can't use P2P applications, meaning no BitTorrent, Kazaa, Shareaza, Limewire, etc.

However, you can download it using non-P2P applications, for example: lastfm, radio blog club or from places where you can buy it online.

Also, you have a limit of 5GB per month (this includes MSN and browsing the web, though they don't take up much bandwidth). It'll be enough for most people.
Reply 14
TomX
T
Also, you have a limit of 5GB per month (this includes MSN and browsing the web, though they don't take up much bandwidth). It'll be enough for most people.

Yea. Most people will find other aspects of the connection ( or sometimes lack thereof) more important...
whats this 5 gb stuff.
how many hours do you think you could go on msn, & browsing random web pages before this 5 gb was up?
Reply 16
aluakz
calm down there. there is no time limit. but there's upload/download limit. 1.3 GB per week and this 5 GB per month. which isn't that bad (more than enough for normal use). no downloading movies anymore though... damn

Are you kidding me!!?

5GB a month!?
Hahah - I think I get through that in less than half a week with torrents. :mad:

Fairygirl21, you won't get ANYWHERE near 5gb doing those things you mentioned. It's just if you're a hefty downloader.
Reply 17
fairygirl21
whats this 5 gb stuff.
how many hours do you think you could go on msn, & browsing random web pages before this 5 gb was up?

5gb is roughly enough to store 500000 rather large images or so. Thus it is really only if you download stuff like movies (24 images per second of movie) that you start aproaching those amounts. You'd have to really try to reach 5gb in one month of casual surfing.
Reply 18
m1kes
Are you kidding me!!?

5GB a month!?
Hahah - I think I get through that in less than half a week with torrents. :mad:

Fairygirl21, you won't get ANYWHERE near 5gb doing those things you mentioned. It's just if you're a hefty downloader.

Maybe so, but BitTorrent is banned in Warwick :P

Jonathon
Yea. Most people will find other aspects of the connection ( or sometimes lack thereof) more important...

I've never needed any servers with listening ports on my machine (well, except those binded to localhost: bitlbee, mpd :P) so that isn't too much of a worry. Not sure if sshd would have been useful, maybe I'll be sorry we can't run sshd.

I'm most concerned about this "campus manager" (http://www.bradfordnetworks.com/products/overview.html?)... I don't mind if it's on the server side, but I doubt I'll be putting it on my computer.
Reply 19
TomX
Maybe so, but BitTorrent is banned in Warwick :P

Yes, BitTorrent might be, but torrents aren't. :biggrin:

Latest