The Student Room Group

Is PPE a good course? And where to study it..?

Ok, so I'm an overseas student (in gap year) and I wish to study PPE in the UK (I don't live there, so I ignore loads of things that you may know by living there!! HELP)

Well, my first choice was Politics and International Relations, but then I thought about a much wider course, such as PPE. (What do you guys think?)

But I'm unsure if studying 3 subjects will make me less of an "expert" in each of them...

PLUS:
Which's the best choice of uni to study this course?!?!

Thank you guys!! :biggrin:
Reply 1
The best choice is Oxford. Then LSE, KCL, UCL, Warwick. And yes, you obviously will be less specialized than single honors students.
Original post by benq
The best choice is Oxford. Then LSE, KCL, UCL, Warwick. And yes, you obviously will be less specialized than single honors students.

And what about UEA or Durham? Are they good enough??
I will love to get to Oxford, but it's soo difficult to get the entry requirements when you're overseas...

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Original post by Rezzz
Lol ignore the first part of this post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is that? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by andreacardenasr
Why is that? :smile:

Unless your only concerned with reputation, that list isn't helpful and some of those uni's are introducing PPE as a new degree. Id check out some of the other options like Durham or Warwick; and agreed on the entry requirements. They are really high for PPE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, so I'm an overseas student (in gap year) and I wish to study PPE in the UK (I don't live there, so I ignore loads of things that you may know by living there!! HELP)

Well, my first choice was Politics and International Relations, but then I thought about a much wider course, such as PPE. (What do you guys think?)

But I'm unsure if studying 3 subjects will make me less of an "expert" in each of them...

PLUS:
Which's the best choice of uni to study this course?!?!

Thank you guys!! :biggrin:

Original post by benq

^^^THIS^^^

And what about UEA or Durham? Are they good enough??
I will love to get to Oxford, but it's soo difficult to get the entry requirements when you're overseas...

Thanks for your reply :smile:

UEA really isn't the best university around. Very frankly, it's actually one of the worse ones, generally. Durham is good as a Uni, but the general environment isn't great - OxBridge rejects, all trying to make it Oxbridge-ey, but it isn't. Hugely generalising, it's very much an individualistic society at Durham, and many could quite easily be seen as 'snobby'. Oxford probably promotes a better culture!

Have you considered Lancaster Uni? They are one of the best for Politics! Also really good for Philosophy and are average to high for Economics. I'm hoping to do Law, or PPE (backup plan), Lancaster being my first choice for both.
Original post by The Legal Eagle
^^^THIS^^^

UEA really isn't the best university around. Very frankly, it's actually one of the worse ones, generally. Durham is good as a Uni, but the general environment isn't great - OxBridge rejects, all trying to make it Oxbridge-ey, but it isn't. Hugely generalising, it's very much an individualistic society at Durham, and many could quite easily be seen as 'snobby'. Oxford probably promotes a better culture!

Have you considered Lancaster Uni? They are one of the best for Politics! Also really good for Philosophy and are average to high for Economics. I'm hoping to do Law, or PPE (backup plan), Lancaster being my first choice for both.

I really don't understand why you say UEA is not a good uni. It is on top rankings, like the Guardian! (Obviously, rankings is all I can see of the uni, you have a wider perspective of course!)
I didn't thought of Lancaster, thanks for the advice :smile:
I really don't understand why you say UEA is not a good uni. It is on top rankings, like the Guardian! (Obviously, rankings is all I can see of the uni, you have a wider perspective of course!)
I didn't thought of Lancaster, thanks for the advice :smile:

UEA being University of East Anglia? I've been looking at lots of subjects before settling with Law and PPE and UEA has always been quite far down. It's not a terrible University, but there are some with slightly better names, that are roughly of the same level.
Lancaster being above them, along with Exeter and Durham and the like. And then the top being LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, KCL, etc.

Of course, go where you are happy - it's your home for 3 years. There's nothing wrong with UEA! Aberystwyth also has a very good name for politics and political sciences, if you are happy to study in Wales.
Hi everyone,

Have a look at our website and we can fill in all the information you need!

https://www.uea.ac.uk/political-social-international-studies and also the video for the department - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9rj-S9P0BY

We offer high quality teaching; we are ranked 12th in the Guardian University Guide 2015 league tables for politics (ahead of most Russell Group universities) and consistently receive excellent feedback from our students. The 2013 National Students Survey and the 2014 Guardian University Guide both found that 95 per cent of our students are satisfied with the teaching they receive from us.

I'm really happy to answer some further questions!

Best wishes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending