The Student Room Group

Indecisive about a levels again argh

I'm still sure on maths. However through looking lots of tsr forums and researching a bit more into the subjects I can chose from I've talked myself out of RS.
I'm really interested in taking either chemistry, further maths, psychology, french and physics.
Please give any advice and personal experiences! Thankyou in advance:smile:
Do you know what sort of career you want at the end of it because that can really sway your decision.

Though saying that I wouldn't let it rule your decision because I had a friend who had wanted to be a vet all her life but halfway through the first year of college she realised this was the wrong decision as she doesn't actually like science, just helping animals! This meant that she had to do a history a level in one year instead of two to make sure she had the qualifications to get onto the degree she actually wanted to do.

My experience got me to Uni but I am going to withdraw from my course (physics) and reapply next year to do what I enjoy (design), not what I think is practical/will lead to a good career. And I can tell you this is not a good situation to be in, it would have been a lot easier to make the right decision the first time around!

I don't want to scare you though, me and my friend are pretty much exceptions to the rule, most of the people I know have gone on to Uni, or I've met at Uni, and are really happy with the choices they made.

There is a point to this reply, honestly, and that is to pick what you love straight from the beginning without wondering whether it's practical or will work, because if you enjoy it then you'll make it work for you.

As far as courses go, I did Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Philosophy and Ethics, DT so if you have any questions about those in particular I'll do my best to answer them for you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by pink.flamingo
Do you know what sort of career you want at the end of it because that can really sway your decision.

Though saying that I wouldn't let it rule your decision because I had a friend who had wanted to be a vet all her life but halfway through the first year of college she realised this was the wrong decision as she doesn't actually like science, just helping animals! This meant that she had to do a history a level in one year instead of two to make sure she had the qualifications to get onto the degree she actually wanted to do.

My experience got me to Uni but I am going to withdraw from my course (physics) and reapply next year to do what I enjoy (design), not what I think is practical/will lead to a good career. And I can tell you this is not a good situation to be in, it would have been a lot easier to make the right decision the first time around!

I don't want to scare you though, me and my friend are pretty much exceptions to the rule, most of the people I know have gone on to Uni, or I've met at Uni, and are really happy with the choices they made.

There is a point to this reply, honestly, and that is to pick what you love straight from the beginning without wondering whether it's practical or will work, because if you enjoy it then you'll make it work for you.

As far as courses go, I did Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Philosophy and Ethics, DT so if you have any questions about those in particular I'll do my best to answer them for you :smile:

Thankyou for the quick reply!:smile: I'm not sure what I'll go into I wanted to ask about maths what grade did you get at GCSE and did you find further maths really difficult or is it just more content rather than how difficult it is?
Original post by Rach-El
Thankyou for the quick reply!:smile: I'm not sure what I'll go into I wanted to ask about maths what grade did you get at GCSE and did you find further maths really difficult or is it just more content rather than how difficult it is?

At GCSE I got an A* in mathe and at the end of the A level I had a B.

I was a bit different because I did AS further maths in my second year of Sixth Form but it ran quite nicely with physics as it covered quite a few of the same areas. I wouldn't say it was much harder but some of it is different to anything you might have learned before (like matrices) so it might take a while to get the hang of. And don't forget that if you take it as an extra A level to what you are already doing it does mean more homework and revision so be prepared to manage your time. But it is manageable and quite useful (and interesting) if you want to go into anything science/maths/computing based. I don't know if this is the same for you bit we were able to drop it in the first few weeks if it we decided we didn't like it so you could always give it a try and see :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest