The Student Room Group

How to stop comparing yourself to other people?

My friends are extremely bright with lots of a* for target grades. My target grades are all A's an one B. One of the only subjects I can naturally do is maths, I really like it and I want to take it for a level. The teacher told us not to revise for the two tests and I didn't so I got 55/100 which was a B on one of them and similar on the other one (haven't got it back yet though due to being ill). My friend used to suck at maths and she hated it (still does) but her mum paid for her to have private maths intuition and she got an A on the one I got a B on and an A* on the second one with 93/100. This makes me feel so bad and she keeps going on about how happy she is and how she beat the boffins and I'm happy for her. But maths was the only thing that made me feel bright enough to be at a grammar school because I could do it well and with enthusiasm and I did so badly in the test. It means so much to me because now I feel stupid and worthless. How can I stop comparing myself to other people?
Have you already done GCSE maths? If not, keep working at it. I failed a past paper in class (D), the teacher mocked me for deciding to choose Further Maths for A Level... but I got an A* in GCSE maths (and proceeded to get A* in A Level Maths and Further Maths)
Original post by shawn_o1
Have you already done GCSE maths? If not, keep working at it. I failed a past paper in class (D), the teacher mocked me for deciding to choose Further Maths for A Level... but I got an A* in GCSE maths (and proceeded to get A* in A Level Maths and Further Maths)

Not yet, I'll be doing my gcse's in summer 2015. I really love maths and I used to practice every night, sometimes as soon as I got back home from school even though I was tired because I wanted to practice so badly. Thank-you for sharing your story, well done! I just feel so deflated because she's the kind of person who doesn't have to work hard to do well whereas I do, except for in Maths and History. But now I feel ridiculous. I want to begin practising again, but part of me thinks I shouldn't bother.
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1

Wow... this is motivational :biggrin:
Did you do Additional/Further maths at GCSE level?
(I'm doing further maths GCSE this year after getting an A* in year 10 - last year, but unsure on whether to do Additional too)
How was A level Maths and Further Maths?
What did you do to get A* at both A level Maths and Further Maths?
Sorry if I'm annoying you ;D
I just did lots of past papers

(Although gcse additional/further is helpful, the bare minimum requirement to be able to take a level further maths is A* in gcse
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kittykatieboo
My friends are extremely bright with lots of a* for target grades. My target grades are all A's an one B. One of the only subjects I can naturally do is maths, I really like it and I want to take it for a level. The teacher told us not to revise for the two tests and I didn't so I got 55/100 which was a B on one of them and similar on the other one (haven't got it back yet though due to being ill). My friend used to suck at maths and she hated it (still does) but her mum paid for her to have private maths intuition and she got an A on the one I got a B on and an A* on the second one with 93/100. This makes me feel so bad and she keeps going on about how happy she is and how she beat the boffins and I'm happy for her. But maths was the only thing that made me feel bright enough to be at a grammar school because I could do it well and with enthusiasm and I did so badly in the test. It means so much to me because now I feel stupid and worthless. How can I stop comparing myself to other people?

Spoiler: If a teacher tells you not to revise, you better revise well

Quick Reply

Latest