The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York offer holders (2015) :-)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hollybeth
Ah cool, what are you transferring from? I'm from York and applied to a few places around the area when I realised I wanted to be closer to home, originally not really wanting to be AT home. But after getting this offer I've really warmed to the idea... as you say, the course looks fab and it's also one of the best linguistics departments so would probably be a bit silly not to :P

Computer science, actually - turns out it has a lot in common with Linguistics, especially the more formal aspects. I did a lot of logic and set theory this year which will hopefully come in handy in semantics! But yeah, York is great, both as a city and a uni, and I really didn't want to leave even when I realised my course wasn't for me - even the ugly 60s architecture grows on you after a while :P Where are you transferring from, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
University of York
York
Original post by bloovanmeer
Computer science, actually - turns out it has a lot in common with Linguistics, especially the more formal aspects. I did a lot of logic and set theory this year which will hopefully come in handy in semantics! But yeah, York is great, both as a city and a uni, and I really didn't want to leave even when I realised my course wasn't for me - even the ugly 60s architecture grows on you after a while :P Where are you transferring from, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Ah wow, that seems like a big switch but I suppose Linguistics is more science based than people would believe so makes sense :smile:

Yeah at the time I didn't want to leave York but equally didn't want to be the one who didn't move away so I did which is very silly in hindsight :P

I'm transferring from Aberdeen, but I'm currently on my second year abroad in Lausanne, Switzerland. Happy to be starting again in a way because a year abroad can make your studies feel a bit disjointed. The prospect of only one more year before dissertation time in Aberdeen is terrifying as this year I've just been taking random modules to make up credit and don't feel nearly mature enough hahaha. Study abroad is a great experience though!
(edited 9 years ago)
Ah wow, that seems like a big switch but I suppose Linguistics is more science based than people would believe so makes sense :smile:

Yeah at the time I didn't want to leave York but equally didn't want to be the one who didn't move away so I did which is very silly in hindsight :P

I'm transferring from Aberdeen, but I'm currently on my second year abroad in Lausanne, Switzerland. Happy to be starting again in a way because a year abroad can make your studies feel a bit disjointed. The prospect of only one more year before dissertation time in Aberdeen is terrifying as this year I've just been taking random modules to make up credit and don't feel nearly mature enough hahaha. Study abroad is a great experience though!

It was always my 'heart' subject when I was applying originally but I'd already tailored work experience and reading to CS, so I kind of felt I should pursue what I thought was the more practical subject - hindsight is a wonderful thing :P

Switzerland? No way! I'm British but actually live in Basel :P Oh god, dissertations are a terrifying prospect - at least they're not obligatory at York for linguistics \o/
It was always my 'heart' subject when I was applying originally but I'd already tailored work experience and reading to CS, so I kind of felt I should pursue what I thought was the more practical subject - hindsight is a wonderful thing :P

Switzerland? No way! I'm British but actually live in Basel :P Oh god, dissertations are a terrifying prospect - at least they're not obligatory at York for linguistics \o/

Haha yep tell me about it! Hopefully us posting about it here will make future students make good choices the first time round :P

Crazy! Basel is a lovely place :smile: I'm gonna be really sad to live Switzerland in a few months :frown:
Hi all, just wondering which accommodation everyone is going for. As I'm doing nursing we don't get as much choice but I am looking at alcuin due to how near to lectures it is and the en suite. Just wondering if anyone else is putting alcuin down as Id love to get to know people who will be in the same blinding as me before starting. X
Original post by Chelsea1996
Hi all, just wondering which accommodation everyone is going for. As I'm doing nursing we don't get as much choice but I am looking at alcuin due to how near to lectures it is and the en suite. Just wondering if anyone else is putting alcuin down as Id love to get to know people who will be in the same blinding as me before starting. X

Hey I'm doing nursing too. Still a bit torn between Kings College and York but if I do go to York I think I'll probably go for accommodation in James due to ensuites! I think Alcuin is supposed to be more quiet and less sociable but I don't really know!
Original post by AllyDiv
Hey I'm doing nursing too. Still a bit torn between Kings College and York but if I do go to York I think I'll probably go for accommodation in James due to ensuites! I think Alcuin is supposed to be more quiet and less sociable but I don't really know!

hello, what type of nursing will you be doing, I will be doing child. I was also torn between kings college and York, but withdrew from Kings due to the distance from home. I was also torn between Alcuin and James accommodation as they both have ensuites which to me is important. I know that Alcuin is a lot quieter but I guess thats also good as if I've been on shift all night the last thing I was is to be kept awake. Not to mention, james is a fair walk from where most of the nursing lectures take place, and Alcuin is only across a road really, so it's the closest to our lectures. The only down side to alcuin is like you said it is less sociable, but from what i've heard you're not tied into your college and can join events with other colleges like derwent ( as thats the most sociable). Let me know if you do decide to go to York. Also, if you want to speak more over facebook my link is https://www.facebook.com/chelsea.edge15 x
Original post by Photographer406
I got my offer through and firmed it in November but I couldn't find anyone else on here who had firmed a place for Film and Television Production, so hopefully I'll be more lucky this time through the year. So, has anyone else firmed a Film and TV offer? Hopefully some potential classmates :smile:

I also applied for the Film and TV course, got an offer before Christmas and made it my firm choice in February. I guess we'll be classmates then! :biggrin:
Original post by Ylenezmrios
I also applied for the Film and TV course, got an offer before Christmas and made it my firm choice in February. I guess we'll be classmates then! :biggrin:

Finally, someone else for Film and TV!!! Well done, hopefully :biggrin: Is yours a conditional as well?
Reply 569
Original post by Chelsea1996

Hi, I'm deciding between James and Alcuin (want ensuite and Hes West haha!) and think I might be putting Alcuin as its building and surroundings seem really nice :smile:
James is right next to the department I'll be in (Psychology) but still think I'll go for Alcuin first choice x
Reply 570
Original post by MegW96
Hi I firmed York for Psychology last week after getting my offer back in December too!

I'm thinking of applying for Hes East accommodation just because I like the idea of not being so close to the department and the rooms there look amazing! Despite some people on Hes West saying its boring the people who live there seem to love it.

The department was definitely my deciding factor because it's so amazing! I live in Harrogate so only around 40 minutes away which to me isn't far enough but I'm so in love with the uni it no longer seems that important:smile:

Hope I get the grades!!!

Oh hi, don't think I replied to you! Ah I didn't really want to go for Hes East, really like it tbh but a bit TOO far away from the department for me :smile:

Yep the department defo is amazing, one of the best I've seen! Really hope I get the grades too, I'm in love with everything to do with York hahaha...

I don't live that far away either, about an hour, guess I just didn't want to leave my lovely Yorkshire :wink:
Anyone know if there's a Facebook group for York offer holders/freshers for the upcoming year? 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by LauraRMCF
Anyone know if there's a Facebook group for York offer holders/freshers for the upcoming year? ������

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the Freshers group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/795849217156512/

And here's the applicants/offer holders group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/929368663748105/

They're pretty much the same thing, a lot of people are in both, including me :P
Original post by wowpop
Hi, I'm deciding between James and Alcuin (want ensuite and Hes West haha!) and think I might be putting Alcuin as its building and surroundings seem really nice :smile:
James is right next to the department I'll be in (Psychology) but still think I'll go for Alcuin first choice x

I'm just like you putting alcuin down due to ensuite and being on hes west, I'll proabbly put james as my second choice. Alcuin is right near my lectures too so that's a bonus especially if the weather is bad in the mornings Id hate to have to walk a fair while in rain everyday. Are you as excited as me for uni? X
I got an unconditional yesterday for Linguistics, so happy! :biggrin:

Congrats! \o/ Same here, already firmed - are you planning on firming it?

Congrats to both of you! I'll be firming Linguistics at York soon, too!
Original post by cumberlordie

Yay congrats, see you there! Can't wait for September \o/
I think I'll be firming York, do the colleges refer only to residential halls? i.e if you're not living on campus you won't be in a college?
Original post by magnitudezero
I think I'll be firming York, do the colleges refer only to residential halls? i.e if you're not living on campus you won't be in a college?

If you're off-campus you still choose a college, so you'll go to that college's freshers events and be able to run for positions in your college JCR/SA etc., you just won't live in college accommodation!
If you're off-campus you still choose a college, so you'll go to that college's freshers events and be able to run for positions in your college JCR/SA etc., you just won't live in college accommodation!

Thanks for this info, I had been wondering about that too!

Original post by cumberlordie

You too! Are you going to the offer holders day in a few weeks time?
Original post by Photographer406
Finally, someone else for Film and TV!!! Well done, hopefully :biggrin: Is yours a conditional as well?

Yes, I need to get AAB. What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending