The Student Room Group

I've become utterly apathetic. A role model for others;a failed person in my own eyes

Hey all,

Will try to be less specific on details, but will explain the situation. At this stage any comment might help. Don't take the first paragraph as bragging because I'm stating the facts.

I finished one of world's most prestigious universities where I got through working hard (I come from a pretty low-income family and got a full scholarship to cover my studies due to multiple academic achievements at school), participated/organised/led more than two scores of various youth conferences and right now I have a job at one of the most selective organisations in the world (salary is not great, but it's an organisation where a lot of people want to intern/work).

On top of that I'm attending all sorts of events and receptions where I get invited, etc.

I'm also very lucky with women - at least on a superficial level to bed them easily.

Basically, in the eyes of a lot of people, I'm a role model. Parents of other students show use me as example of success, colleagues and acquaintances are impressed with my job and professional achievement given my age, and friends are just amazed at various girls they see me making out with, etc. In a nutshell, many people see my public life/photos and are genuinely jealous of my life.

And I'm grateful for what I have, or try to be.

But ultimately and especially more recently, I've become more apathetic to everything in my life, to an extent that I am feeling dumb and indifferent to everything. Right now I'm applying for Master's and all professionals/academics around me predict that I can easily get into [insert name of any top-5 world uni here] easily with a scholarship, etc. But I cannot even write a proper personal statement, because my worldview right now is "I don't give a ****". I know I will regret it, if I drop things now, so I'm pushing forward with my application, but the problem is that at this stage neither my lifestyle, nor my job, nor my personal life, nor my academic achievements give me any satisfaction. And ultimately I don't know what I want to be in my life. Everything gets very boring/disappointing after a while (here it's both professional and personal)

I don't want to be a morose ******* and I worked a lot to reach where I am right now, so I just don't understand what's happening and how to solve this.

I'm 21 now and this condition of mine has been increasing in intensity for the last year or so, but in the last 1-2 months it's become quite worrying and I just hope it won't get worse.

Any comments would be gratefully read.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Well join the club. Life is boring and ****. Work out what will make your life more interesting to you and do it. It might not be academic or sexual, but it could be a hobby, something spiritual, moving somewhere, etc.

The socially revered landmarks of life don't seem to be your idea of achievement, so find out what is and achieve it.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey all,

Will try to be less specific on details, but will explain the situation. At this stage any comment might help. Don't take the first paragraph as bragging because I'm stating the facts.

I finished one of world's most prestigious universities where I got through working hard (I come from a pretty low-income family and got a full scholarship to cover my studies due to multiple academic achievements at school), participated/organised/led more than two scores of various youth conferences and right now I have a job at one of the most selective organisations in the world (salary is not great, but it's an organisation where a lot of people want to intern/work).

On top of that I'm attending all sorts of events and receptions where I get invited, etc.

I'm also very lucky with women - at least on a superficial level to bed them easily.

Basically, in the eyes of a lot of people, I'm a role model. Parents of other students show use me as example of success, colleagues and acquaintances are impressed with my job and professional achievement given my age, and friends are just amazed at various girls they see me making out with, etc. In a nutshell, many people see my public life/photos and are genuinely jealous of my life.

And I'm grateful for what I have, or try to be.

But ultimately and especially more recently, I've become more apathetic to everything in my life, to an extent that I am feeling dumb and indifferent to everything. Right now I'm applying for Master's and all professionals/academics around me predict that I can easily get into [insert name of any top-5 world uni here] easily with a scholarship, etc. But I cannot even write a proper personal statement, because my worldview right now is "I don't give a ****". I know I will regret it, if I drop things now, so I'm pushing forward with my application, but the problem is that at this stage neither my lifestyle, nor my job, nor my personal life, nor my academic achievements give me any satisfaction. And ultimately I don't know what I want to be in my life. Everything gets very boring/disappointing after a while (here it's both professional and personal)

I don't want to be a morose ******* and I worked a lot to reach where I am right now, so I just don't understand what's happening and how to solve this.

I'm 21 now and this condition of mine has been increasing in intensity for the last year or so, but in the last 1-2 months it's become quite worrying and I just hope it won't get worse.

Any comments would be gratefully read.

Thanks.

Do you have any creative hobbies? Do you read much? You're addicted to instant pleasure and gratification it seems. You're spiritually undernourished dog :tongue:

Perhaps consider a more creative path in life if you're capable of that, rather than following a boring path that has been tread by other "successful" people.

The trouble could be that your life lacks depth...you regurgitate in exams rather than do original stuff and bed girls rather than forming meaningful relationships.

Perhaps you need a psychiatrist ... but seeing a psychiatrist can go either way
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Go out and get wasted.
Reply 4
Find religion.
Reply 5
I read a lot of books and not only those needed for exams (as a matter of fact, my exam and stardardised tests performance are always worse than my essays or individual research pieces ) - I try to read classical literature and philosophy books on top my required readings for work/studies.

Reading does give me pleasure, but I cannot be in books the whole time, can I?..

I have also lived in several countries by now and recently moved into a new environment (culturally/linguistically/mentality-wise, etc).
I'm quite similar except minus the women. ****.
Reply 7
Do you play any instruments?

Write your own stuff?
Reply 8
Original post by nohomo
Do you play any instruments?

Write your own stuff?

I want to start playing guitar in 1-2 months.

I used to write small pieces - and people enjoyed those; they're still on my page which attracts a small but stable readership - but right now no inspiration. Last time I wrote something was over 1.5 years ago. Right now I pick up a pen (or keyboard) and I'm at loss what I want to write about... :frown:

thanks for your suggestions and comments, everyone, I know I appear a wimp here, but this forum is probably the only place where I can seriously face and bring up my own problems, because elsewhere I've got expectations that I am trying to exceed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending