The Student Room Group

HR Graduate Scheme without numerical reasoning?

I have HR experience, a good degree from a Russel Group University, yet cannot pass numerical reasoning tests.

Does anyone know of HR graduate schemes that do not require numerical reasoning as part of the application process?
Original post by Lauradmxx
I have HR experience, a good degree from a Russel Group University, yet cannot pass numerical reasoning tests.

Does anyone know of HR graduate schemes that do not require numerical reasoning as part of the application process?

Unfortunately most grad schemes, HR or otherwise, have these tests. In most cases it is the time limit and the pressure, not the questions themselves, that get to people. Most of the questions are based around a very small range of techniques (working with decimals, fractions, percentages and graphs, etc.) so can be learnt with the right help/practice. But the time limit is the real killer. Certainly I've always been very maths confident, got several full UMS on some modules in A Level maths, and yet felt very pressurised and panicked during all my numerical tests and certainly didn't breeze through any of them.

Your choice is therefore either to practice like mad for the tests using the wide range of books and websites available, your university careers service - hell, even a maths tutor if necessary, why not? - and try to pass a grad scheme test. That's all you have to do - pass and get to the next stage.

Or you could just pursue a traditional HR employment route. This will probably be easier if your degree is in HR and you're a CIPD member. Search for HR Assistant jobs or HR Officer jobs dependent on your experience and just work your way up.

Good luck whatever you do do, I work in HR and I love it (traditional employment route - I did get onto a grad scheme but got a 'traditional' job offer at the same time and decided to go with it! So grad schemes aren't the be all and end all.)
Original post by J-SP
As someone else who did the entry level HR route outside of a grad programme, I would recommend that too. I've had a great career by doing that and hired many along the way who are also having very successful careers without doing a grad programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find your first HR role? Was it very challenging?
Original post by J-SP
I applied through agencies and started in temp roles at first. I found my first HR role challenging as there was a lot to learn about HR processes as it was a generalist role in a small HR team of 4 where we did everything. I was the only administrator which meant I got exposure to a lot of different areas of HR early on.

But I had previous work experience in an office environment (accounts and marketing work) and had pretty good IT skills so was able to do tasks pretty easily. I found it really interesting and liked learning about it which helped me pick up things quickly too.

I've found most of my jobs challenging in one way or another though and when I haven't I have looked for other work to keep me occupied or busy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest, what kind of things did you have to do as a HR Admin?

I'm currently in my first PAID HR role, its more like a hr data analyst role. I like some aspects of it but hate some aspects of it.
Reply 4
Original post by moutonfou
Unfortunately most grad schemes, HR or otherwise, have these tests. In most cases it is the time limit and the pressure, not the questions themselves, that get to people. Most of the questions are based around a very small range of techniques (working with decimals, fractions, percentages and graphs, etc.) so can be learnt with the right help/practice. But the time limit is the real killer. Certainly I've always been very maths confident, got several full UMS on some modules in A Level maths, and yet felt very pressurised and panicked during all my numerical tests and certainly didn't breeze through any of them.

Your choice is therefore either to practice like mad for the tests using the wide range of books and websites available, your university careers service - hell, even a maths tutor if necessary, why not? - and try to pass a grad scheme test. That's all you have to do - pass and get to the next stage.

Or you could just pursue a traditional HR employment route. This will probably be easier if your degree is in HR and you're a CIPD member. Search for HR Assistant jobs or HR Officer jobs dependent on your experience and just work your way up.

Good luck whatever you do do, I work in HR and I love it (traditional employment route - I did get onto a grad scheme but got a 'traditional' job offer at the same time and decided to go with it! So grad schemes aren't the be all and end all.)

Thank you for this. To be honest I know that if I really put my mind to it I could pass the tests, with a hell lot of practice. I really want to prove to myself that I can..so here starts the hard work!
Original post by J-SP
Was very generalist and admin based. Dealing with lots of employee queries, data entry, data analysis, sickness reporting, filing, processing invoices, taking minutes of meetings/typing them up, helping to write comms to employees, chasing up appraisal documents, on-boarding processes for new joiners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, sounds i'm currently doing the data analysis, employee queries (about the computer system we use, we have a few thousand employees) and basic report running, on top of quite a few other things in my org. I would personally prefer something more generalist than what I'm doing right now. I'm very quantitative, data/statistically oriented right now in my current role, where I feel as though I'm someone who's better at qualitiative data but can do quantitative too because I'm versatile and can learn quite quickly.

Did you learn all of that in your first few roles temping for a short period, or gradually pick each of that up? I did an internship at a place, which had a nightmare process when it came to monitoring punctuality and sickness. The system we have in place now is good, but the system is at times unnecessarily complex for the layman and restrictive if they make easy mistakes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending