The Student Room Group

completing gcse exams early

i'm in year 10 and i will be completing all my exams before year 11 but because i'm home schooled i don't know what i should be doing next year.is anyone else facing this situation too?please reply asap if you have any suggestions.
If you are completing all your exams then this year, you should definitely move onto AS levels next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by revisonstudent
i'm in year 10 and i will be completing all my exams before year 11 but because i'm home schooled i don't know what i should be doing next year.is anyone else facing this situation too?please reply asap if you have any suggestions.

Hi i'm Homeschooled too!

This isn't uncommon :P people do this in school aswell sometimes....

If you feel awks about doing exams earlier then do half of them now and half of them later.
Original post by Ben4
If you are completing all your exams then this year, you should definitely move onto AS levels next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but will colleges accept me

Yes. Your age shouldn't be an issue (especially as you're only one year younger), as long as you've got the qualifications. If you're concerned, speak to local colleges and see whether they would accept you.

Of course!!!! If you've got Grades!!! Actually if you took all gcses in Year 10 did First Year A Levels in Year11 did second year in year12 you be one year ahead of your age group.... you could go to University at 17 instead of 18/19!!!!

However.... I think you should take (oh lets say you're doing ten gcses) 5 gcses in year10 and the other five in Year11, that way you can apply for Colleges next year and you can explain to them you're Homeschooled and you'll have grades anyway which will show you're capable ( if you get good marks, Five A*-C)

The issue with taking exams early is that you might not do as well as you would in year 11 - in History, for example, there's a lot to learn and the third year is basically necessary for coursework and recaps. Plus, if the main set of exams are your first ever exams they might not go so well - you won't have perfected revision, preparation etc. GCSEs, while not as important as A levels, will still affect what universities you can go to and maybe even what career you ultimately reach, so ensure that by taking them early you won't get significantly worse results.
Original post by elmosandy
Of course!!!! If you've got Grades!!! Actually if you took all gcses in Year 10 did First Year A Levels in Year11 did second year in year12 you be one year ahead of your age group.... you could go to University at 17 instead of 18/19!!!! However.... I think you should take (oh lets say you're doing ten gcses) 5 gcses in year10 and the other five in Year11, that way you can apply for Colleges next year and you can explain to them you're Homeschooled and you'll have grades anyway which will show you're capable ( if you get good marks, Five A*-C)

thank you for your advice:smile:
If I were you, I'd take some now and some in Year 11, mostly just to ease the amount of exams you have. I was lucky enough to be the final year where we took modular exams, and it just eased some of the stress to only have 13 exams in my Year 11 summer, whereas I've got a couple of friends who had 22+ exams in the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest