The Student Room Group

Saturday Job During GCSES

Question: Has anyone worked during GCSE/Y11, how did you find it, is it feasible?

I recently applied for a job as a saturday assistant at a hairdressers (hair washing etc). I got the job - which would be my first.

I'd only work Saturdays (and a few days in school holidays if I wanted for extra work) at £5 an hour 9-6 - and it's super local to us (less than 15 minutes).

However, I'm currently predicted 7-8s for my GCSE's, and have my sights set on sixth forms that are considered more difficult to get into, so I really do want to do well. Currently, I'm revising an hour afterschool, and time when I get it on the weekend.

I'm wondering whether taking the job would be advised with all the revision of GCSE's. I don't want to butcher my chance at good grades, because that's what I'd consider more important, and I don't want to overwork myself to the ground with different responsibilities.

Only other thing I'd add is no availability to take time off November-December, as they're super busy, which is around the time my GCSE mock prep is.

Anyone got any advice?
Reply 1
Myself and a lot of my friends worked throughout year 11 so it's definitely not unfeasible! A lot of people at my job (evenings, so a bit different) stopped working when it got to actual exam season but you should be okay for mocks if you have okay time management. At the end of the day though, you're completely right to prioritise your education so it's all personal- lots of people will but don't if you think it'd compromise your grades! Good luck with this year :smile:
Original post by lau321
Myself and a lot of my friends worked throughout year 11 so it's definitely not unfeasible! A lot of people at my job (evenings, so a bit different) stopped working when it got to actual exam season but you should be okay for mocks if you have okay time management. At the end of the day though, you're completely right to prioritise your education so it's all personal- lots of people will but don't if you think it'd compromise your grades! Good luck with this year :smile:

Thank you for your input!

I’d like to think so, at least! At the moment, I’m doing an hours revision a night and have done since July ish (30 minutes each for two subjects), and have a nearly-fully complete gcse revision plan to follo; so I think I should have a pretty good idea of time managing.

I’m a little concerned for mocks - only because it’s a lot sooner (November) and I don’t want to mess it up if I’m trying to juggle the two. Fingers crossed!
Reply 3
don't get a job. You can't do two things at a time, it really does take time and energy away which could be spent revising. In six form yes, and you also have an extremely long summer after GCSEs. But if you are in a situation where you need money for day to day expenses then go for it.
Reply 4
Original post by Xx_flowerpanda
Thank you for your input!

I’d like to think so, at least! At the moment, I’m doing an hours revision a night and have done since July ish (30 minutes each for two subjects), and have a nearly-fully complete gcse revision plan to follo; so I think I should have a pretty good idea of time managing.

I’m a little concerned for mocks - only because it’s a lot sooner (November) and I don’t want to mess it up if I’m trying to juggle the two. Fingers crossed!

It's great that you're organised and it sounds like you'll be fine! I guess you could ask if it would be possible to try it out for a couple of weekends and see if it impacts either your revision time or your general energy? Obviously it won't give you a picture of what it'll be like in mocks though. Fingers crossed for you, let me know if you have any other year 11 questions! :smile:
Original post by IO bear
don't get a job. You can't do two things at a time, it really does take time and energy away which could be spent revising. In six form yes, and you also have an extremely long summer after GCSEs. But if you are in a situation where you need money for day to day expenses then go for it.

Thank you! Fortunately, I’m not in a situation where I need the money for day-to-day. It’s more so for the extra money (going into savings, clubs etc). I’m in two minds about it, aha, I’ll keep it in mind, though. Thanks.
Original post by lau321
It's great that you're organised and it sounds like you'll be fine! I guess you could ask if it would be possible to try it out for a couple of weekends and see if it impacts either your revision time or your general energy? Obviously it won't give you a picture of what it'll be like in mocks though. Fingers crossed for you, let me know if you have any other year 11 questions! :smile:

Thank you! Sorry, I completely forgot to put that in the post. She’d like to have me for a 4 month ‘trial’ period, before making a concrete contracted decision, which is great. However, mocks will be during this point - and I might struggle to leave before the trial is over. I’ll definitely keep it in mind!

Thanks a lot! I’m stressing about it, but hopefully I’ve started early enough to ease it as time goes. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you go about revising for maths and English? Science and options subjects I’m working through the exam specs and textbook pages to ensure I’ve covered all topics, then working on the ones I’m less good on. However, I have absolutely no idea how to revise for maths and English - other than the odd bits and pieces.
Reply 7
Thank you! Sorry, I completely forgot to put that in the post. She’d like to have me for a 4 month ‘trial’ period, before making a concrete contracted decision, which is great. However, mocks will be during this point - and I might struggle to leave before the trial is over. I’ll definitely keep it in mind!

Thanks a lot! I’m stressing about it, but hopefully I’ve started early enough to ease it as time goes. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you go about revising for maths and English? Science and options subjects I’m working through the exam specs and textbook pages to ensure I’ve covered all topics, then working on the ones I’m less good on. However, I have absolutely no idea how to revise for maths and English - other than the odd bits and pieces.

Oh okay, yeah that sounds like a good idea if it weren't for the mocks!

You've definitely started early enough so yeah it'll probably be okay as the year goes on. For maths, literally just do exam questions- it sounds boring but there's no point trying to revise maths without doing it! Definitely the most effective technique and then I guess ask your teacher for questions on topics you struggle with. For Eng Lit, I made quote flashcards but only use quotes that work for multiple things and you could actually analyse because otherwise it's super ineffective. Also, Mr Salles is quite good for practice essays etc (although some of his ideas are a bit weird I can't lie haha). Also, you'll get loads of practice writing essays this year so I didn't tend to do full essays outside of lessons but if it's timings you struggle with then maybe do that occasionally? Hope that's helpful :smile:
Reply 8
Question: Has anyone worked during GCSE/Y11, how did you find it, is it feasible?

I recently applied for a job as a saturday assistant at a hairdressers (hair washing etc). I got the job - which would be my first.

I'd only work Saturdays (and a few days in school holidays if I wanted for extra work) at £5 an hour 9-6 - and it's super local to us (less than 15 minutes).

However, I'm currently predicted 7-8s for my GCSE's, and have my sights set on sixth forms that are considered more difficult to get into, so I really do want to do well. Currently, I'm revising an hour afterschool, and time when I get it on the weekend.

I'm wondering whether taking the job would be advised with all the revision of GCSE's. I don't want to butcher my chance at good grades, because that's what I'd consider more important, and I don't want to overwork myself to the ground with different responsibilities.

Only other thing I'd add is no availability to take time off November-December, as they're super busy, which is around the time my GCSE mock prep is.

Anyone got any advice?

As an A Level student I reckon you can get away with the Saturday job but you really want to start knuckling down from February-March to get those 7,8,9s. And any mock treat it like the real exam.

Quick Reply

Latest