The Student Room Group

Will I be allowed into a grammar school sixth form if I am a year too young?

Hi, when I was younger I was moved up a year, and now I am year 11 and looking for a sixth form to move to. The sixth form that I want to go to is a highly selective grammar school and I was wondering whether state schools/grammar schools accept people if they have skipped a year? My age does not affect my grades/maturity (predicted straight a*s and already have two). So yea will they allow me in if I am meant to be in year 10? I have gone to independent schools all my life so I don't know what the policy is in the state sector. Sorry I don't mean that to sound snobby, I'm on a scholarship otherwise my parents couldn't afford it. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:
best way to find out is contact the school directly. It shouldn't be a problem though, i started year 12 when i had just turned 15 :smile:
Original post by hadukilami
best way to find out is contact the school directly. It shouldn't be a problem though, i started year 12 when i had just turned 15 :smile:

Oh wow! and thanks, that's a relief! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mimi101mimi101
Hi, when I was younger I was moved up a year, and now I am year 11 and looking for a sixth form to move to. The sixth form that I want to go to is a highly selective grammar school and I was wondering whether state schools/grammar schools accept people if they have skipped a year? My age does not affect my grades/maturity (predicted straight a*s and already have two). So yea will they allow me in if I am meant to be in year 10? I have gone to independent schools all my life so I don't know what the policy is in the state sector. Sorry I don't mean that to sound snobby, I'm on a scholarship otherwise my parents couldn't afford it. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:

It should be fine, but if you're concerned then ask the school.
Original post by mimi101mimi101

If you were wanting to skip a year now they might say no but given you skipped the year long ago and have clearly kept up academically since then, they can hardly expect you to go back and repeat a year before accepting you! So it shouldn't be a problem - but contact them and explain the situation if you want to double check :smile:
Original post by moutonfou
If you were wanting to skip a year now they might say no but given you skipped the year long ago and have clearly kept up academically since then, they can hardly expect you to go back and repeat a year before accepting you! So it shouldn't be a problem - but contact them and explain the situation if you want to double check :smile:

Oh ok! Thanks so much! that's really helpful :smile:
Original post by Compost
It should be fine, but if you're concerned then ask the school.

Oh OK! Will do! thankyou so much!

Quick Reply

Latest