The Student Room Group

Timeline of a medicine degree

Hi, I'm studying engineering at the moment but I was curious how a medicine degree works.Could anyone tell me the breakdown of studying to be a Doctor? Like classroom study, when you start working on patients etc?

Thanks
When you start seeing patients and how the course is structured is very much dependent on which University you are interested in. You can either check the course website or posts like this might help you:

Pros and cons of your med school?
Original post by wooderson
Hi, I'm studying engineering at the moment but I was curious how a medicine degree works.Could anyone tell me the breakdown of studying to be a Doctor? Like classroom study, when you start working on patients etc?

Thanks

Unfortunately, all those things are going to vary with what university you go to and what programme you study. Classroom study will be a common feature in most year 1 and year 2s, but "working on patients" depends on the two things mentioned previously, and depends on what you define as "working on patients" - could start year 1, year 2, year 3 or year 4 depending on these things...best thing you can do is have a look at universities' websites, bud.
Reply 3
Cheers, so do you normally do 5 years then become a junior doctor? Then is it two more years and you're fully qualified?
Reply 4
Cheers, so do you normally do 5 years then become a junior doctor? Then is it two more years and you're fully qualified?

Med school is 5 or 6 years (some places do an extra "intercalated" year to get a BSc/BA/BMedSci as well as the medical degree). After that you are a doctor, but still have a long way to go before finishing training! There are 2 years of foundation training, rotating through different specialties, then you choose your specialty and train in that. GP takes another 3 years, others take 6-8 years, after which you're a consultant. Plenty of people take longer than that as they do research or subspecialty fellowships.
Reply 5
Thanks for answering my question
Thanks for answering my question

Most schools have somewhat of a pre-clinical/clinical divide. Pre-clinical meaning you study mostly in class and clinical meaning you spend most of your time in the hospitals. Clinical school generally is 3 years long and pre-clinical is 2-3 years long depending on the school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending