The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by thunder_chunky
Well then I find myself disagreeing with Rory as well as yourself. I think that Samual can be a valuable member of the MUN and I don't agree with discarding members who can be of great use to this community. Especially when it is in the state that it is in.
I realise you have worked with the SG. You do learn a lot actually on the job and there are certain decisions like this where common sense and practicality for the grand scheme of things come in to play.
So I'll just say that I disagree with the decision to remove him and that I hope the new SG will reinstate him as a member.

I do not agree with your decision as many members are posting on the forum. But, may I know in which ways he is a valuable member to the MUN? How can he be a valuable member when he doesn't contribute much to TSR MUN?

Well then, fine if the new SG recruits him back. :smile:

But, I won't handle anything with Samual. The new SG has to handle that with him if he is going to take Samual back. I should have no offense with Samual once again.:smile:
Reply 41
Best Wishes to all candidates electing. :h:xx
Original post by Sena5
I do not agree with your decision as many members are posting on the forum. But, may I know in which ways he is a valuable member to the MUN? How can he be a valuable member when he doesn't contribute much to TSR MUN?

But, I won't handle anything with Samual. The new SG has to handle that with him if he is going to take Samual back. I should have no offense with Samual once again.:smile:

Completely out of order and definitely an abuse of your powers as DSG. As T_C said he wasn't doing anything wrong, just disagreeing with you. You state he posted infrequently, nearly every person on this forum has posted infrequently over the last few months or so, you only seem to be using that excuse on Samual because he's grilling you on your election campaign, which is what he's supposed to be doing. anyway.

Frankly, I'd be worried about this place if you were elected SG if you kick people out of the forum over something so minor.

Back to the election. What do you think is the main cause of the plummet of activity in the forum and what will you do to try and fix this problem and try and restore some of the former glory to this place.
Original post by Sena5

"Many", well not that many to be honest. This community needs all the members it can get. I don't just disagree with the decision, I disagree with the timing of the decision as well.
My point is that he has posted a bit, and he is showing enough interest to warrant further activity. Rather than kicking him out, it would be better to encourage him and others like him to become more active. This can be done either by talking to them personally or giving them new opportunities to do so.

The timing is poor and I think the decision reflects poor judgement and insight.
Wait has someone been kicked for asking questions? Unbelievable, that is an abuse of power if I've ever seen one and I will look to start a VoNC immediately after this election is shut. Anyway my vote is either Birch or Nigel, leaning towards the more experienced candidate due to the state of the place.
You realise you can't kick people out of user groups that you don't like? You're not suited to a leadership position if you lack restraint, needless to say Birchington should be voted in again as his reign was the last time I saw an active MUN.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sena5
RoryS said it was a good decision himself. He also said if the members in the Roll Call were still in-active after a deadline I have given they should also be removed. I do as requested by SG. I spoke about this with RoryS and he said it was a good decision. And also I have given 3 weeks deadline extra which is very long and not throwing members away. No, I am not the kicking off type of person. I did not kick him straight out, dear. I did ask him several times to please contibute something to MUN. Atleast to do something for MUNthly Newspaper. He said no for both.I did encourage and asked loads of help from my SG, RoryS for help and that is how we announced the Roll Call. He is helping me so much and we are doing our very best to keep it active. We can give anyone the chance but, when they are not eager to post what do you want me to do? I asked Samual to post threads of his interest so we will know about his interest and encourage him in. He didn't accept the offer of making his own interested threads. I have given all the chances and asked several times to him. He seems to be not engaged here at all. I have also worked with the SG so that has helped me to realise what a SG Is for. I always keep contact with him, RoryS as well.

Your decision to remove Samuel is completely wrong. As the deputy SG and acting SG, your role is to maintain the status quo, not to go around kicking people out of a usergroup on a technicality because you disagree with them. I have no choice, but to back Cryptographic and will be seconding the VONC the second this election ends.

Original post by Cryptographic
Wait has someone been kicked for asking questions? Unbelievable, that is an abuse of power if I've ever seen one and I will look to start a VoNC immediately after this election is shut. Anyway my vote is either Birch or Nigel, leaning towards the more experienced candidate due to the state of the place.
Original post by toronto353
Your decision to remove Samuel is completely wrong. As the deputy SG and acting SG, your role is to maintain the status quo, not to go around kicking people out of a usergroup on a technicality because you disagree with them. I have no choice, but to back Cryptographic and will be seconding the VONC the second this election ends.

I will also second this motion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I too am disappointed in this decision and feel that this does not display the qualities needed of an SG, nor a DSG.
Birchington:

1) You wish to allow members to submit and run their own hypes, an administration role traditionally done by the SG. How will you ensure this will remain controlled?
(I understand it is unlikely given the lack of activity...but still.)
It's important the SG has final say over content and activity to keep things appropriate and moderated.

I'd suggest members PM me a brief outline of a hype to double check and gain feedback. They can then go-ahead and post it.

During debates, I would keep a close watch on behaviour and step in if things steer off topic or get out of hand.

I hope to achieve the right balance between giving members more autonomy and keeping things in order.

2) People reguarly join and are placed in positions and then fall silent. How will you ensure that people who join are active from the get-go? -
I want to build on member follow up. Short term - improve the effectiveness of the welcome PM and quote new members in threads. Long term - pair them with a mentor for advise/support.

Also, I'd invite all members to regularly decide what they wanted from the MUN. All members should be invited to propose an event or activity within the forum.

3) What would you classify as "more controversial issues?" -
I'd cut down on condolence-only/neutral threads and publish discussion topics on major topical events. I would look to phrase these in a certain way to inspire members to debate how to solve a problem. Rather than just posting 'Country X thinks this' (boring), I hope to inspire members to propose Resolutions or action points (eg. declaring war).

4) How would you build a better connection with the International forum
I would like to draw users to the MUN by opening up polls and debates linked to topical stories in the International forum. We haven't had any discussion on EU reform, ISIS or Ukraine/Russia at any point - I think a poll giving a point of action (eg. "We should arm Ukranian rebels") will spark a debate. People can then vote on the final outcome.

My key priorities are debate and activity - I believe ideas like this will help to increase both points.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow, 4 candidates. Blimey!

I urge everyone to vote for Birch. It's nothing against the other candidates who are all great, but Birch is the guy we need right now.

A group of us changed the Charter and tried to streamline the place a few weeks ago, we got almost the entire way to implementing that so we need Birch's radical ideas to finish it off.
Original post by Republic1
Wow, 4 candidates. Blimey!

I urge everyone to vote for Birch. It's nothing against the other candidates who are all great, but Birch is the guy we need right now.

A group of us changed the Charter and tried to streamline the place a few weeks ago, we got almost the entire way to implementing that so we need Birch's radical ideas to finish it off.
Thank you for the support.
Reply 52
Original post by Superunknown17
Completely out of order and definitely an abuse of your powers as DSG. As T_C said he wasn't doing anything wrong, just disagreeing with you. You state he posted infrequently, nearly every person on this forum has posted infrequently over the last few months or so, you only seem to be using that excuse on Samual because he's grilling you on your election campaign, which is what he's supposed to be doing. anyway.

Frankly, I'd be worried about this place if you were elected SG if you kick people out of the forum over something so minor.

Back to the election. What do you think is the main cause of the plummet of activity in the forum and what will you do to try and fix this problem and try and restore some of the former glory to this place.

I have already spoken with Samual before the election. I do not fear he is grilling me here but, his contributions to TSR is less and when I asked him please do something for MUNthly he said no. Atleast, to create his interest threads on MUN and for that also he responded no. He said he finds no threads in MUN interesting which is why I said him to post his interested threads which also he disagreed. Still, being the DSG I have my responsibility. I have done my duty according to the Charter and once the Roll Call is done with the date I shall remove the in-active members as well. This clearly shows I am not only targeting Samual. I am doing something fair in the MUN. This is not minor but, is major. I meant if Samual keeps not contributing it would be an influence to other members as well and the death of the forum is all what will occur. I am sure if any of you had experienced with Samual and his speech you would really agree to me. He has been less discipline to the me as being the DSG. He pin-points the mistakes of me when instead of explaining the drawbacks of it. The usage of speech is insulting. This can be proven by his words in a post- If you are elected, can we expect more of your 'interesting' threads on JK Rowling and tornadoes? Do you think copying and pasting silly news stories from the Daily Mail into MUN is an acceptable way to start discussions?
I have bolded the words of insult.

What do you think is the main cause of the plummet of activity in the forum and what will you do to try and fix this problem and try and restore some of the former glory to this place.

The least/nil posting on threads and least/nil contributing to TSR and also atleast if none of these are done atleast they have to do something for MUNthly. Even if one member doesn't do anything for MUN it will influence others and this causes death of MUN. This shows the particular candidate is just trying to maintain a title but not willing to do anything for TSR.
I shall give the maximum extended deadlines for the Roll Call so everyone will not be missed out. This allows all to post on the Roll Call. I shall create threads with current news which are also breaking news which engages members to post in the threads. I shall hold the Roll Call once in 4 months. Remove in-active members because from my experience I have seen many members applying to the UN-usergroup. So, removal of existing members will not rise in death of the forum here. As there are plenty of opportunities for new comers to replace and show more interest towards MUN and contribute more. Explaining existing members to post in one thread atleast once in a month. One professional and better response makes the forum more professional and more realistic and engaging. In this way, all MUNees will find the forum more advanced and professional and also learn something out of it as this is a student website. I would also encourage new comers to join in. I would look first if the member has some experience from the MHOC or any related forum and if they haven't I will see if their 150 post count is available. If it is, they will be accepted into the forums. Posting nearly nil doesn't grow experience and enhance Reps professionalism. There are also new comers. So, we have to be fair and equal with everyone. I do think there has to be some level of discipline as well to be a MUN member. Members also can post their interesting threads, hypes and resolutions on the forum. They are very valuable resources to the forum. In that way we should speak as much as we can with an existing member if they are not willing to do anything for MUN politely and I did.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
"Many", well not that many to be honest. This community needs all the members it can get. I don't just disagree with the decision, I disagree with the timing of the decision as well.
My point is that he has posted a bit, and he is showing enough interest to warrant further activity. Rather than kicking him out, it would be better to encourage him and others like him to become more active. This can be done either by talking to them personally or giving them new opportunities to do so.

The timing is poor and I think the decision reflects poor judgement and insight.

I have mentioned in previous posts that I did mention to him politely. And he does say no he cannot contribute unless he finds something interesting. I do not think all members will find most threads interesting but, they are doing their duty and posting in. Our community needs members with more activity level and they should show more interest to the MUN. I did encourage him several times. You can look through his or my posts as well.
I am not targeting Samual. I actually gave him many chances and spoke with him explaining him as much as I can. I asked him to so something for MUNthly paper atleast if he is not interested with the threads. I thought he would do something interesting as he needs interests. In that way i encouraged him. He said he won't do. He is very in-experienced is what I have seen all throughout his questions and never asked about the two managers of the MUN. If he posted on the forum he would of realised about it and never asked as well. I asked him to post threads of his interest so sometimes others will be interested with and get to know his taste of interest and get engaged more. He could of been valuable by helping us there. He said no again. When he cannot do a thing for MUN he is not the suitable candidate for the MUN. Just having title does not make sense. The timing is not poor as I didn't remove him before even though I had to remove according to the Charter. I did think same as you all that we need members and I tried my very best asking him to contribute as I have explained here. This does not reflect poor judgement and it is a very clear insight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by toronto353

Whilst playing the role of any of the two, you will realise that I am not completely wrong.
That is not a problem.I meant if Samual keeps not contributing it would be an influence to other members as well and the death of the forum is all what will occur. I am sure if any of you had experienced with Samual and his speech you would really agree to me. I have explained many things to others about this above in my posts quoting them. You can look through them. I haven't kicked him out but, did after a long time trying and asking him to contribute something. I cannot repeat the same thing but I have mentioned everything to above users quoted in my posts. I have also come across a similar member to Samual but, I see that member contributing in a nice manner. So, the member is fit for the MUN as others.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Birchington
Thank you for the support.

Birchington :smile:

Thanks for the rep, dear :h:
Hope you have fun as always and be happy :wink:
Reply 56
Original post by RoryS
x

Quoted as I have already spoken to you about it. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sena5
I have already spoken with Samual before the election. I do not fear he is grilling me here but, his contributions to TSR is less and when I asked him please do something for MUNthly he said no. Atleast, to create his interest threads on MUN and for that also he responded no. He said he finds no threads in MUN interesting which is why I said him to post his interested threads which also he disagreed. Still, being the DSG I have my responsibility. I have done my duty according to the Charter and once the Roll Call is done with the date I shall remove the in-active members as well. This clearly shows I am not only targeting Samual. I am doing something fair in the MUN. This is not minor but, is major. I meant if Samual keeps not contributing it would be an influence to other members as well and the death of the forum is all what will occur. I am sure if any of you had experienced with Samual and his speech you would really agree to me. He has been less discipline to the me as being the DSG. He pin-points the mistakes of me when instead of explaining the drawbacks of it. The usage of speech is insulting. This can be proven by his words in a post- If you are elected, can we expect more of your 'interesting' threads on JK Rowling and tornadoes? Do you think copying and pasting silly news stories from the Daily Mail into MUN is an acceptable way to start discussions?
I have bolded the words of insult.

What do you think is the main cause of the plummet of activity in the forum and what will you do to try and fix this problem and try and restore some of the former glory to this place.

The least/nil posting on threads and least/nil contributing to TSR and also atleast if none of these are done atleast they have to do something for MUNthly. Even if one member doesn't do anything for MUN it will influence others and this causes death of MUN. This shows the particular candidate is just trying to maintain a title but not willing to do anything for TSR.
I shall give the maximum extended deadlines for the Roll Call so everyone will not be missed out. This allows all to post on the Roll Call. I shall create threads with current news which are also breaking news which engages members to post in the threads. I shall hold the Roll Call once in 4 months. Remove in-active members because from my experience I have seen many members applying to the UN-usergroup. So, removal of existing members will not rise in death of the forum here. As there are plenty of opportunities for new comers to replace and show more interest towards MUN and contribute more. Explaining existing members to post in one thread atleast once in a month. One professional and better response makes the forum more professional and more realistic and engaging. In this way, all MUNees will find the forum more advanced and professional and also learn something out of it as this is a student website. I would also encourage new comers to join in. I would look first if the member has some experience from the MHOC or any related forum and if they haven't I will see if their 150 post count is available. If it is, they will be accepted into the forums. Posting nearly nil doesn't grow experience and enhance Reps professionalism. There are also new comers. So, we have to be fair and equal with everyone. I do think there has to be some level of discipline as well to be a MUN member. Members also can post their interesting threads, hypes and resolutions on the forum. They are very valuable resources to the forum. In that way we should speak as much as we can with an existing member if they are not willing to do anything for MUN politely and I did.

No way, I'm not buying that. In fact, he's one of the few members who's actually been posting. I haven't, wanna get rid of me too? Seeing as you're kicking anyone out, why not? You've set a dangerous precedent and I am in full support of a VoNC.

That's not insulting, that's asking a question. You're not following the charter, you've just kicked out a perfectly active member for giving, what you perceived to be, insults. They weren't and you can't just kick someone out.

I'm done talking about this, it's derailing the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by Superunknown17
No way, I'm not buying that. In fact, he's one of the few members who's actually been posting. I haven't, wanna get rid of me too? Seeing as you're kicking anyone out, why not? You've set a dangerous precedent and I am in full support of a VoNC.

That's not insulting, that's asking a question. You're not following the charter, you've just kicked out a perfectly active member for giving, what you perceived to be, insults. They weren't and you can't just kick someone out.

I'm done talking about this, it's derailing the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would not mind telling I do not accept your point. You have been contributing to TSR and I have seen as you were the previous DSG who stepped down and it was when I was elected then.
That is insulting if you knew what he actually meant.

I am following the charter as I have already given the MUN charter is this =

Representatives can be removed if: a) they have been inactive for a period of 3 weeks without explanation offered prior to their absence or by failing to post or make adequate representation.

Samual was in-active before for 3 weeks and only posted in the MUN Chat thread I guess to argue about my PM issue.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2552217&page=9&p=48716703&highlight=#post48716703
And I said him kindly I frequently forget to remove him from the list of PM so, he can add me to ignore list which won't trouble him. I do not know if he has done so because he says he has got my PMs.

I have not kicked him out. He has not been according to the Charter Rules= Representatives can be removed if: a) they have been inactive for a period of 3 weeks without explanation offered prior to their absence or by failing to post or make adequate representation. And I have explained about removal of members in my answer above in posts. I have answered your questions and you seem to repeat the same thing over and over. Please let's go back to the election MUN.

You can see & count this from his posts after february 2014 when I guess you were the DSG in the Model United Nations of his posts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 59
Good luck to all the candidates. I'm pleased there's a few putting themselves forward, I feared it would be a one-person election again like many recent elections!

Original post by Sena5
RoryS said it was a good decision himself.

I only said it was a good decision providing that you carried out the same actions for other inactive members, of which there are many! A personal vendetta against Samual because he's slightly more 'edgy' than other candidates and is more able to tell people what he thinks isn't grounds to remove him.

thunder_chunky
QFA

What I said to Sena has been blown out of proportion...

Latest

Trending

Trending