The Student Room Group

MUN Secretary General Election - Q&A

This poll is closed

Who should be the next Secretary General?

Birchington 53%
RotatingPhasor 3%
Sena5 20%
Nigel Farage MEP 20%
Re-Open Nominations (RON)3%
Total votes: 30
Welcome to the election for the next MUN Secretary General. There are 4 candidates for this position and their manifestos are displayed below.

Voting is open, Q&A may still continue.

The manifestos follow:

Birchington
This election is a make or break moment for the MUN.
I have two key goals: to restore activity and define our purpose

My plan for the MUN

Let's restore our primary purpose back to debating:
•More discussion of controversial issues.
•Interactivity - regular polls, promoted across TSR.
•Greater independence for reps to break away from real-life.
•Interaction with wider International and Debating forums.

Radical reform to save the forum:
•I will close the Security Council - it’s dead and serves no purpose.
•Streamline our list of nation states and abolish irrelevant positions.
•Simplify the Charter.
•Allow members to submit and run their own petitions, proposals and hypes.

Reliable management:
•Regular PMs
•Frequent removal of inactive members
•Maintain and improve mentoring/guidance for new members

I’m experienced, and I am not afraid of making the changes this forum needs.
Let’s work together to make this forum active and relevant once more.

RotatingPhasorMUN Secretary General Manifesto

Do you want a dead, devolved and boring MUN? If so I am the right candidate for you. From my many minutes of experience in the MUN I believe I have the right characters required to do this. As the Secretary General I will be biased and will attempt to impose my will upon all you minions. I see this role as one that should not be taken seriously but I shall wear It as an emblem to show off to the world. If you nominate me for Secretary General it will be of great insult to your activity; especially if I am unopposed which I suspect may be the case.

My time is value and I shall not waste it on this forum attempting to start intelligent dialogue, but rather I shall implant hatred into the community. You can watch as I make this place burn at my hands with such power that not even Satan could match such trolling. I shall close this out by stating again; you can either vote me or RON for your life. Thank you.

Sena5RoryS is a best friend of mine. He guided me through the MUN. Being the Deputy Secretary General for 6 months enabled me to gain the relevant experience I needed for the post I am electing and I have the credentials to meet the requirement and criteria.

I held many roles, tasks and responsibilities in handling the MUN as I found them really interesting and engaging to move with. The roles extend to the MUN Deputy Secretary General, MUN MUNthly Deputy Editor, the MUN SC USA Representative and the MUN Representative of Sri Lanka. My interest towards the TSR MUN never faded any moment.

Winning the Secretary General title will be a very motivating post for me as I’ve been holding the Deputy Secretary General and relatively worked with the Secretary General. Working with the SG led me know the responsibilities of a Secretary General. Getting a promotion to the Secretary General post will help me do more in the MUN. I’m looking forward to hold the position as a SG of the Model United Nations. I am willing to face the challenges of the new role.

I will advertise the TSR MUN to the front page of TSR which enables more members to join in. Will create a chat service where we can discuss faster and easier and re-connect all MUN members. I guarantee my activity level will always be high in the MUN forum. I shall guide and support every step of my Deputy just like my Secretary General did for me as he, RoryS was my very great inspiration.

Vote for me. All your votes for me will count for a very good future SG. None of your votes for me will go waste. Place your vote for me and I promise to keep my words true!

Nigel

Instead of promising more of the same I promise an action plan to overhaul the MUN.

1. Elections for non-permanent members will be jettisoned. Individuals should be allowed to come together indefinitely to represent a nation of their choice. Members will be free to move around from one country to another as they wish without election.

2. Anyone will be able to submit resolutions, via the Secretary General, which will be posted in the main MUN forum to be debated and voted on by all representatives of a country in the MUN. The permanent members of the Security Council will still be allowed to veto one of these resolutions.

3. The Security Council will only exist in name allowing certain countries to hold a veto.

4. The forum for the Security Council will host the voting of resolutions proposed or seconded by any country. All confirmed representatives of all countries can vote on these resolutions.

5. Individuals become confirmed representatives of a country by notifying the Secretary General and the country leader. The country leader is the person who currently represents said country. If no one currently represents the country being inquired about, the person asking to become an official representative will become the country’s leader. All representatives of the same country need to make an effort to communicate and make sure they’re on the same page.

6. UN Officers would remain much the same being able to submit resolutions on behalf of their administrative bodies rather than a country.
I am happy to slightly alter the fine details of the points above will not change my desire for radical overhaul.

If you are scared of change, do not vote for me. If you want dramatic change which may or may not work, I believe it will, vote for me!

Ronnie

(This is not a candidate. Vote for RON if you wish to re-open nominations)

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck all.
A few questions for each candidate:

1. What do you think is the most important thing you can do to increase participation in the MUN?

2. How will you address the issue of all the inactive members of the MUN?

3. What is your favourite combination of pizza topping and why?
Original post by junior.doctor

1. What do you think is the most important thing you can do to increase participation in the MUN?

1. What do you think is the most important thing you can do to increase participation in the MUN? The MUN at the moment is very inward facing. Elected individuals hold a veto through a security council. These members seem to have dominance over the place with their own forum to debate and vote. The system of an individual member representing one country I believe discourages participation. Once the major countries have been taken very few people are interested in representing a minor country of little importance. A system whereby multiple members can represent one country together will interest people more. Elections for those representing the permanent members also puts people off. No one wants to go through elections all of the time. The countries should be open to representation by anyone.

Mirroring real life doesn't help either. People don't play a game to broadly represent real life positions of their chosen country. They join the MUN to lead their chosen country in any way they want. The whole idea of OOC should be abolished instead with everyone being allowed to take their country in any direction. There will be arguments made about what if someone in France wants to declare nuclear war on the USA but these are just silly as the sensible individuals we are, are capable of running a realistic foreign policy for a country which differs from the real life stance.

Applying for membership before posting in the forums is another huge hurdle. The waiting time for approval can be long and by the time approval comes about the applicant may have forgotten about the MUN or could no longer be interested. The forums must be open to everyone to comment. When the MUN is more outward looking more people will join.

I feel the days of advertising the MUN or doing more of the same only better are over. It's time for drastic change to make the MUN a more welcoming and relevant place going forward.

The above, however, as the forums will be open to anyone to post there will be no need to kick them out of the MUN.

Pepperoni, ham, green and red peppers, and mushrooms. I'm feisty and little combative liking to party but a little boring at the same time preferring to be sensible over being wild. I'm also totally laid back.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I thought sera5 was also running. Anyway the first guy has my vote

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birch has my vote. He was a great SG and I think the only one who's got the right mix of experience and enthusiasm to have a chance of saving this place.

I'll ask questions later but my decision is all but confirmed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you planning on getting rid of the deputy secretary general position? I hope so.
My vote's for Birchington. He was amazing the first time around and I have every confidence that he can save this place. Vote for Birchington!
Some great candidates. Although Birchington has the advantage having held this position before, I will keep an open mind about the others. That said, it is a make or break time for the MUN and perhaps experience is needed to ensure this little community still has life.
Best of luck to all candidates though. I may pose a question or two shortly.

Nothing
Nothing
Everything because nothing
Birchington:

1) You wish to allow members to submit and run their own hypes, an administration role traditionally done by the SG. How will you ensure this will remain controlled?
(I understand it is unlikely given the lack of activity...but still.)

2) People reguarly join and are placed in positions and then fall silent. How will you ensure that people who join are active from the get-go?

3) What would you classify as "more controversial issues?"

4) How would you build a better connection with the International debate forum?

Sena:

1) You speak of advertising the MUN, but that is only half the battle. How will you maintain and improve activity?

2) What other greater needs do you think the MUN needs immedietly?

3) If you could restructure the MUN, how would you do so?

Nigel Farage:

1) How will non=permanent members be chosen then? Because a final decision must be made somehow and it should be done so by the highest authority, the SG if anyone.

2) If anyone will be able to submit resolutions, what is the point of still allowing permanent members to veto them? Isn't that counter productive?

Original post by Samual
Are you planning on getting rid of the deputy secretary general position? I hope so.

Why? It's necessary in my opinion.
Original post by thunder_chunky

Because MUN is small. I think it is silly needing two people to manage a small forum with hardly any members.
Reply 12
Original post by junior.doctor

Dedication and interest of the MUNees.
Post interesting topics where all nations can give a response to. Threads could be of MUNees interests so each of them will willingly provide response on the forums. As told, I have also emailed to the Advertise to TSR regarding advertising the MUN on the main TSR page so it viewable to all members and anybody who is willing to join in will do.

As far as I have worked as the Deputy SG, I've come across many tough MUNees. I also basically give some time for them to post. And I guess, the Roll Call is the best way to get the activity level rise again when the activity level is less. I have asked them kindly. I've come across many tough MUNees and to be honest there responses were not good to me. Still, I kindly explain them about the particular case. I have also given 3 weeks deadline for the in-active members to post in the Roll Call as a final deadline because we do not want to remove all MUNees contributing to TSR as they may have real life issues as well.

Nice Question :smile:
My favourite combination of pizza topping are onions, cheese, chicken, sausage with a great crust and tomato sauce because they are my favourite dishes and food items for pizza.:wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Aph
I thought sera5 was also running. Anyway the first guy has my vote

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I am also here. :h:
Reply 14
Original post by Samual

No. If the SG is elected and it is not me I still remain the D.S.G. :smile:
Yes, if the SG is elected and it is me then an election for the Deputy will be held.
I would not step down my progress through the Model UN.:yep:
Reply 15
Original post by Sena5
Yes, I am also here. :h:

Yeah just saw your manifesto

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Aph
Yeah just saw your manifesto

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you x
Original post by Samual
Because MUN is small. I think it is silly needing two people to manage a small forum with hardly any members.

It is small, but that's irrelevant. The Deputy SG position was created as a position of support in case the SG cannot be online for whatever reason. Not long after I became SG I was banned from TSR for two weeks. My deputy took over and ran the place until my return. If there had not been a deputy, who else would have run it all? Done the all the admin etc etc?
Reply 18

Sena:

1) You speak of advertising the MUN, but that is only half the battle. How will you maintain and improve activity?

2) What other greater needs do you think the MUN needs immediately?

Yes, I did speak about advertising the MUN and I have emailed the Advertise to TSR regarding promoting MUN Forum by posting on TSR Main Page. I am active here on the MUN and will improve activity by posting Roll Calls monthly or atleast once in three months.Post interesting topics where all nations can give a response to. Threads could be of MUNees interests so each of them will willingly provide response on the forums. As told, I have also emailed to the Advertise to TSR regarding advertising the MUN on the main TSR page so it viewable to all members and anybody who is willing to join in will do. Roll Call is the best way to get the activity level rise again when the activity level is less. I've come across many tough MUNees and to be honest their responses were not good to me. Still, I kindly explained them about the particular case. Since then I saw them posting on the forums and was delighted to see them posting on the forums. I have also given 3 weeks deadline for the in-active members to post in the Roll Call as a final deadline because we do not want to remove all MUNees contributing to TSR as they may have real life issues as well.I would want discussion of all MUNees to be placed in one thread as to what post types they prefer and to give examples so they or we can post it on the forum to rise the activity level. This should be done frequently. The MUN Awards, MUN Awards - Debater of the Year, Best MUN Newbie, Best Contributor, Most Controversial Member,Member of the year will be held at the end of each year. This should be interesting and engages all MUNees in.

2) What other greater needs do you think the MUN needs immediately?
It needs to be more advanced and few changes to be made. Advanced in the sense, posts by members on the Model UN. More resolutions and hypes. Everyone should be free to post their interested threads there. Roll Calls should be held atleast once in 3 months. To recruit an MUNee, I think just seeing a member with or with more than 150 posts is not an essential part. I see that when new members requesting to join the MUN User-Group, I also look through their posts. Some are found to post more in the MHOC relating to UN I guess. That enables me to think they are frequent posters and will also express their interests and contribute to TSR MUN. When also re-viewing their times of posts, I find it also to be frequent even though they have less post counts. What else is needed when a new member's activity level is found to be high and also found that they are more contributing to TSR? Such factors, enables us to find the right candidate into the MUN as well and not only the post count. I also would like to add that the CA Powers should be given to the relevant candidate. Because, I being the DSG wasn't given the CA Powers even when my SG insisted the mods to do so. That has a negative impact towards the MUN. Future MUNees who hold these big positions should be given it. The mods said another member has the CA Powers so I do not need it. I cannot perform the CA actions when I haven't got it. I have to go asking for the other member with CA Powers. It takes time and I as DSG should necessarily have the CA Powers. This really is something to be dealt with. The mods should be informed about their action as it is unfair to be honest.

I would change the entry requirement to MUN as by viewing many factors. If none of these factors are available the 150 post count method would help. The factors are explained in question 2. Post regular Roll Call atleast once in 3 months. I would want discussion of all MUNees to be placed in one thread as to what post types they prefer and to give examples so they or we can post it on the forum to rise the activity level. This should be done frequently. The MUN Awards, MUN Awards - Debater of the Year, Best MUN Newbie, Best Contributor, Most Controversial Member,Member of the year will be held at the end of each year. This should be interesting and engages all MUNees in.

It is not necessary because it is the Deputy's thought of withdrawing/not withdrawing the DSG post. Deputy doesn't need to change when already a deputy is present. Just like RoryS announced he wanted to withdraw and that is why an election is held. If he said he didn't want to withdraw there is no need of an election. Therefore, I have not stepped down from my position and will never step down until if only I am elected as the SG. Natural.:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
It is small, but that's irrelevant. The Deputy SG position was created as a position of support in case the SG cannot be online for whatever reason. Not long after I became SG I was banned from TSR for two weeks. My deputy took over and ran the place until my return. If there had not been a deputy, who else would have run it all? Done the all the admin etc etc?

Right Point! :yep:
Yes, I am doing the work of SG when he is not present and that gives me experience at the same time.:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending