The Student Room Group

Working part time whilst studying Adult Nursing

Hello :smile: I'll be starting my course in March to do adult nursing and I was wondering if it's possible for me to study/ be a full time nursing student whilst having a part time job? I'm currently working at a Sainsburys Local and I'm hoping to get a transfer to the city I'll be moving to. Does anyone recommend this or would it be too much?
It's possible especially when you have time off, the best thing to do is work your butt off now until you start, do extra shifts etc and save up some money.

Although I say it's possible you want to aim for a 2:1 or first class. I would say avoid working as much as possible in year two and no working in year three. Although people do it, if your tierd at placement and you start slacking or making bad clinical judgements you will be held accountable. In other words your mentor may think your not really up to it.., some placements are hard enough to pass anyway.

I had a friend and she was doing night shifts after day shifts on placement, it all caught up with her by year three. With several failed assignments and fails on placements, she didn't complete the course, due to a second fail on placement.

Best advice.
Work your butt off now, try save several thousand pounds, if you can get up to 12k that would be ideal, doubtful by March though.

Work only on holiday time, honestly if you want to get a certain job you will need to demonstrate your competency. The best students were those who studied hardest.
Reply 2
Original post by Speed1987
It's possible especially when you have time off, the best thing to do is work your butt off now until you start, do extra shifts etc and save up some money.

Although I say it's possible you want to aim for a 2:1 or first class. I would say avoid working as much as possible in year two and no working in year three. Although people do it, if your tierd at placement and you start slacking or making bad clinical judgements you will be held accountable. In other words your mentor may think your not really up to it.., some placements are hard enough to pass anyway.

I had a friend and she was doing night shifts after day shifts on placement, it all caught up with her by year three. With several failed assignments and fails on placements, she didn't complete the course, due to a second fail on placement.

Best advice.
Work your butt off now, try save several thousand pounds, if you can get up to 12k that would be ideal, doubtful by March though.

Work only on holiday time, honestly if you want to get a certain job you will need to demonstrate your competency. The best students were those who studied hardest.

A big thank you for your detailed reply, I have been working almost full time for the past few months now and have been saving up quite a bit for university. I think I might just continue working for at least some of my first year, until I start to feel like I need to devote more time to studying/when the course becomes intense. I was just slightly worried that I will be faced with some financial issues if I didn't continue working in my first year...but thank you for clarifying this up for me.

Quick Reply

Latest