The Student Room Group

Woman arrested over tweet of red stilettos on the Quran

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/23/turkey-stilettos-quran-tweet_n_6035198.html

A woman was arrested in Turkey this week after she posted a photo on Twitter of red-stilettoed feet standing on the Quran.

The unnamed woman in her mid-30s was taken into custody in Istanbul on Tuesday on suspicion of blasphemy and inciting religious hatred, Agence France Presse reported. She was released after questioning.

Police launched the investigation after the firebrand mayor of Ankara, Melih Gokcek, filed a legal complaint against her, according to Turkey's Dogan News Agency.

"No one has a right to insult our religion," Gokcek wrote on Twitter, and posted the original photo. Standing or laying shoes on an image is often used as a sign of disrespect in the Middle East, where feet are considered unclean.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pretty stupid idea to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not the cleverest decision by the woman but that shouldn't matter.

This is against her human rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Not the cleverest decision by the woman but that shouldn't matter.

This is against her human rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, dumb move on her part totally but doesn't justify her arrest. Everyone has the right to insult religion. Or at least they should.
It shouldn't matter what she does with her copy of her quran

but who wants to bet a member of the religion of peace will kill her.
LOL no sympathy for her whatsoever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And we call Turkey a democracy.
Original post by HeavyTeddy

Do you think that people deserve to be arrested and punished for mocking a religious book?
Original post by HeavyTeddy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good one.
I don't think people have the right to mock a religion.

Yeah think badly of it, and criticise it but shouldn't be able to belittle and mock those who follow one.

Don't understand why you'd want to anyway.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I don't think people have the right to mock a religion.

Yeah think badly of it, and criticise it but shouldn't be able to belittle and mock those who follow one.

Don't understand why you'd want to anyway.

Exactly. It's unnecessary and gets your point across. People are way more likely to respect someone who respects them too. It gives people like her a bad name.

I can understand the inciting religious hatred bit, but blasphemy? Really?
I don't see how that's offensive?

It's essentially a pair of chubby feet on a fantasy novel.
Original post by zkrjebril
Okay, coming from a Muslim here.
1. I thought Turkey was a secularist hothouse? Wtf
2. Why is she doing that anyway? We're just used to it all by now, so she won't actually get any attention.
3. Cue the religion haters who will make things a lot more worse. This thread is going to the dogs.

1) It's trying but the regressive hand of islam is a hard one to shake off once it has had you round the throat for hundreds of years
2) because she wanted to but for her reasoning you's need to ask her. But as you point out she doesn't need to explain herself to anyone and the fact she's getting attention proves you wrong don't you think
3) Cue the expected and typical response from the followers of the religion of peace 'we support freedom but have respect and don't exercise your freedoms as it's upsetting and we'll get made and kill people and then blame everyone else'
Original post by Blues Clues

I can understand the inciting religious hatred bit,

I can't so care to explain?
Exactly. It's unnecessary and gets your point across. People are way more likely to respect someone who respects them too. It gives people like her a bad name.

I can understand the inciting religious hatred bit, but blasphemy? Really?

Maybe she was chanting something while standing on it :lol:
Original post by Radicalathiest
I can't so care to explain?

Well seeing as many people in Turkey are Muslims, I'm not surprised that the police thought she was trying to incite religious hatred. I'm not condoning the charges but I am saying that I see why they think that it was that.
Well seeing as many people in Turkey are Muslims, I'm not surprised that the police thought she was trying to incite religious hatred. I'm not condoning the charges but I am saying that I see why they think that it was that.

Not what I asked you said you understand so explain to me what in the image is 'inciting religious hatred'

as no words are used it must be something in the picture so explain what it is if you can
I will never understand how people walk in stilettos. They must have awfully deformed feet as well.
Original post by Iggy Azalea
I don't see how that's offensive?

It's essentially a pair of chubby feet on a fantasy novel.

+1 lol

It's her Quran.
It's her feet.
If they don't like her they should just ignore her.

I thought the entire point of Turkey was that it didn't want Islam to ruin it like it did the Ottomans?
Original post by Radicalathiest
Not what I asked you said you understand so explain to me what in the image is 'inciting religious hatred'

as no words are used it must be something in the picture so explain what it is if you can

Well, despite the fact that I think it's pretty clear what I was trying to say...

Feet are considered unclean in the Middle East. Thus, if you step on something, it's like you're insulting it and putting it down to the level of say, a dog. Hence why that guy threw a shoe at George Bush and why Saddam Hussein used to have a portrait of the president in one of his buildings so that you'd have to step on it walking on it. That's why it's deemed as offensive, which is why the Turkish Police deemed it to be trying to stir up religious tension. Which they clearly wouldn't want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending