The Student Room Group

What's married life like ?

On a serious note, the reason im asking because most of my friends say its has commitments and you have to work at it, im not too sure about that because if you have a good commited relationship then what changes surely you trust each other. My friend was saying how someone he knew doesnt go out that much now that he's married due to him having to be home and be there for his wife ?

So is it a big change in life, bigger than the normal relationship couples have ?

Im talking about couples who didnt live together before hand.
Im engaged to be married and im expecting married life to be exactly like engaged life. Which is exactly the same as non engaged life!

The only difference is it takes some of the uncertainty out of the future - no longer girlishly wondering what my husband will be like. But thats answered for me now.

I think it will give me strength when we fight. I can look back to our vows and remember the promises I made. But we rarely fight that badly.

It means well start thinking about kids...and thats when the real life changes will start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by fredscarecrow
Im engaged to be married and im expecting married life to be exactly like engaged life. Which is exactly the same as non engaged life!

The only difference is it takes some of the uncertainty out of the future - no longer girlishly wondering what my husband will be like. But thats answered for me now.

I think it will give me strength when we fight. I can look back to our vows and remember the promises I made. But we rarely fight that badly.

It means well start thinking about kids...and thats when the real life changes will start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think you have to work at it because thats what my friend was saying that you have to work at a marriage. I dont agree ? Wbu ?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think you have to work at it because thats what my friend was saying that you have to work at a marriage. I dont agree ? Wbu ?

I think most adults have to work at any committed relationship, whether they're married or not. Living together is a challenge, it's never all sunshine and rainbows. Life throws all sorts of crap at you, illness, job losses, money worries etc, and you have to work through those things together. It's extremely unlikely that any two people would ever agree on absolutely everything, and you have to work out a way of negotiating when you do disagree.

But in a good marriage, the work is worth it. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
I think most adults have to work at any committed relationship, whether they're married or not. Living together is a challenge, it's never all sunshine and rainbows. Life throws all sorts of crap at you, illness, job losses, money worries etc, and you have to work through those things together. It's extremely unlikely that any two people would ever agree on absolutely everything, and you have to work out a way of negotiating when you do disagree.

But in a good marriage, the work is worth it. :smile:

Isnt it better in a way because you dont really deal with the issues alone but with your husband/wife ? So long as she loves you.
Its like unmarried life but with more rings.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Isnt it better in a way because you dont really deal with the issues alone but with your husband/wife ? So long as she loves you.

Yes, for some things it is better to have someone with you for the tough stuff. When I find his dirty plates strewn around his computer because he couldn't be arsed to put them in the dishwasher (he didn't even need to wash them up!) then sometimes you think you could do things more easily on your own...

Being married does feel different for me compared with when we were "just" living together. Difficult to explain how, and perhaps for someone who didn't believe in marriage they wouldn't feel any different, but we both agree that something changed, in a good way!
Reply 7
For those who are 'anti-marriage': the vast majority of marriages are about mutual love and commitment. I hope you find someone to share that love with some day.

For those being open-minded: I'm getting married next year and I'm really excited about it! I feel so lucky to have found such an amazing person to share my life with. I think we have both helped each other grow and improve in various ways since we've been together, and have learned how to face challenges that have come our way productively (it's always good to work on dealing with disagreements though...). Anyway, I'm really excited for married life. I don't think it'll be that different from the way things are now, which is great! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending