The Student Room Group

Struggling with AS level French?

So I'm struggling with french and I could really use some advice. Firstly, I moved schools for sixth form and in my old school we were taught well at writing and reading but awful at speaking and listening whilst in my new school it seems to be the opposite. Secondly, I started learning french in year 10 whilst everyone else started learning french in year 7. Thirdly, I am new and I get really anxious when my teacher asks me a question in french and I have no idea what she is saying, I've spoken to her about my tranisition and she said not to worry about it and she'll give me some extra listening practice to do at home. I also have a french assitance I see once a week for 50 minutes where I attempt to speak french but it fails. MY teacher told me not to worry about it but I am, I need at least a B grade, I use to have such a passion for french but now it just makes me want to curl in a ball and cry. Help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by annabanana12
So I'm struggling with french and I could really use some advice. Firstly, I moved schools for sixth form and in my old school we were taught well at writing and reading but awful at speaking and listening whilst in my new school it seems to be the opposite. Secondly, I started learning french in year 10 whilst everyone else started learning french in year 7. Thirdly, I am new and I get really anxious when my teacher asks me a question in french and I have no idea what she is saying, I've spoken to her about my tranisition and she said not to worry about it and she'll give me some extra listening practice to do at home. I also have a french assitance I see once a week for 50 minutes where I attempt to speak french but it fails. MY teacher told me not to worry about it but I am, I need at least a B grade, I use to have such a passion for french but now it just makes me want to curl in a ball and cry. Help?

Hey!
I'm also taking AS level French this year on the AQA board. What's your board?
My school are quite good with the languages at A level. They advise us when preparing writings for homework to recycle good parts of French that we know to be accurate rather than to make it up on the spot. Reading shouldn't be too hard to grasp as reading plenty of French articles while noting down any vocab can prove to be extremely beneficial.
With regards to starting French when you were in year 10, that shouldn't be a major issue since when we start the A level course its a new start for everyone and its an entirely different ball game to your previous studies.
With your French speaking you shouldn't be too concerned about your speaking, no one can speak fluent French (who have studied it at level 1) so its fine for us to make mistakes. The important thing though is that we are able to act on those mistakes and learn from them.
Lastly, you should enjoy French, don't just focus entirely on the grade, the subject allows your to show you artistic flair especially in the speakings and writings. This will help you to achieve the best you can when the exams in the summer come along.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm doing AQA as well :smile: and I know it's still early days but I struggle to even string up a sentence whilst speaking, isn't that a concern?
Reply 3
I'm doing AQA as well :smile: and I know it's still early days but I struggle to even string up a sentence whilst speaking, isn't that a concern?

Quote me in next time so that I can respond to your message quickly. You can do this by pressing reply to a post you wish to quote into your post.
I don't think fluency is something that you just get, its something you build on as the French A level course progresses. Most people would say they would be able to structure a sentence from free speech but whether or not it is actually grammatically correct is always an issue. I believe that I can do so when I fully understand the situation and when the person who I am talking to in French is talking slowly. But in a normal situation I'll admit that I would not be able to respond in the same way. But I'm sure as we learn and progress, these abilities will come more naturally to us. Complete fluency at this moment in time, should therefore be of a primary concern to you in my opinion.
Original post by BCMFM16
Quote me in next time so that I can respond to your message quickly. You can do this by pressing reply to a post you wish to quote into your post.
I don't think fluency is something that you just get, its something you build on as the French A level course progresses. Most people would say they would be able to structure a sentence from free speech but whether or not it is actually grammatically correct is always an issue. I believe that I can do so when I fully understand the situation and when the person who I am talking to in French is talking slowly. But in a normal situation I'll admit that I would not be able to respond in the same way. But I'm sure as we learn and progress, these abilities will come more naturally to us. Complete fluency at this moment in time, should therefore be of a primary concern to you in my opinion.

Would you recommend watching french films and shows to improve my listening? Although I doubt I'll be able to understand much of it.
Reply 5
Would you recommend watching french films and shows to improve my listening? Although I doubt I'll be able to understand much of it.

I think that would be a great idea. Use the shows alongside transcripts, this will help you to familiarise yourself with would you were able to deduce from the speech and what you weren't able to deduce. Don't worry about not understanding it, thats part of the learning process. You will get to the point of fully understanding the shows if you work at it and believe in yourself. THINK POSITIVELY!
Reply 6

I was exactly like this at the beginning of AS. It sounds obvious but you really do just need to practise practise practise. Speak to yourself in French, when you have thoughts in your head translate them into French. You'll get there in the end, trust me.
Original post by BCMFM16
I think that would be a great idea. Use the shows alongside transcripts, this will help you to familiarise yourself with would you were able to deduce from the speech and what you weren't able to deduce.

I'll try that then, thank you :biggrin:
Reply 8
I'll try that then, thank you :biggrin:

:france:Je vous en prie! :france:
(edited 9 years ago)
Bonjour.

Tout le monde dit que tu devrais regarder les films... Mais je ne pense pas que ce soit utile.

Je pense que la plus meilleure manière de réussir en AS est d'apprendre la grammaire et de pratiquer avec quelqu'un.

Si tu sais ta grammaire, ça devient facile de construire tes propres phrases :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Bonjour.

Tout le monde dit que tu devrais regarder les films... Mais je ne pense pas que ce soit utile.

Je pense que la plus meilleure manière de réussir en AS est d'apprendre la grammaire et de pratiquer avec quelqu'un.

Si tu sais ta grammaire, ça devient facile de construire tes propres phrases :smile:

Tout le monde dit que tu devrais regarder des films... Mais je ne pense pas que ce soit utile.
Je pense que la meilleure manière de réussir en AS est d'apprendre la grammaire et de pratiquer avec quelqu'un.
Si tu connais ta grammaire, ça devient facile de construire tes propres phrases .
A part from a few errors, you speak really well, your sentences are well constructed :smile:
Reply 11
i've just done AS and got full marks in my speaking but ****ed up the essay on the written exam so ended up with a C overall! My advice would be to learn grammar and set expressions! the questions in the essays are always going to be the advantages and disadvantages something. Also, if you get a question like i got last year which was 'which is more important friends or family', make sure you make a clear decision. I ended up contradicting myself so i messed it all up! Also make sure you learn grammar!!!!!!!! I didn't bother in AS and i regret it so much now! Try watching french youtubers to help your listening? Norman fait des videos talks relatively slowly and is easy to understand!
Original post by Millymd
Tout le monde dit que tu devrais regarder des films... Mais je ne pense pas que ce soit utile.
Je pense que la meilleure manière de réussir en AS est d'apprendre la grammaire et de pratiquer avec quelqu'un.
Si tu connais ta grammaire, ça devient facile de construire tes propres phrases .
A part from a few errors, you speak really well, your sentences are well constructed :smile:

Merci :tongue:

Je sais jamais si je devrais utiliser savoir ou connaître!

Je dirais que je parle meilleur que j'écris... Mes résultats seraient d'accord :mmm: (ou sont d'accord... Je suis pas sûr si on peut traduire cette phrase directement d'anglais)
Merci :tongue:

Je sais jamais si je devrais utiliser savoir ou connaître!

Je dirais que je parle meilleur que j'écris... Mes résultats seraient d'accord :mmm: (ou sont d'accord... Je suis pas sûr si on peut traduire cette phrase directement d'anglais)

Je peux pas t'expliquer savoir ou connaître, je connais pas de règles spécial, ça deviendrait naturel après :smile:
Si c'est bon, t'as bien traduis la phrase, ça marche bien même !
Bonjour.

Read the entire post next time. You'll see that I'm mentioned noting down vocabulary and grammar above. :^_^:
Bonjour.

Je trouver la grammaire est assez facile mais quelquefois je oublier les temps de verbe irréguliers avec petits changements par example acheter = j'achèterai ect.
Je trouver la grammaire est assez facile mais quelquefois je oublier les temps de verbe irréguliers avec petits changements par example acheter = j'achèterai ect.

Careful, you used the 'infinitif' instead of the present tense :
Je trouve la grammaire est assez facile mais quelquefois j'oublie les temps de verbe irréguliers avec des petits changements par example acheter = j'achèterai ect. :tongue:
Original post by Millymd
Careful, you used the 'infinitif' instead of the present tense :
Je trouve la grammaire est assez facile mais quelquefois j'oublie les temps de verbe irréguliers avec des petits changements par example acheter = j'achèterai ect. :tongue:

Merci beaucoup :smile:
Original post by Millymd
Je peux pas t'expliquer savoir ou connaître, je connais pas de règles spécial, ça deviendrait naturel après :smile:
Si c'est bon, t'as bien traduis la phrase, ça marche bien même !

Je pense que savoir est quand on sait un fait... Et connaître est utilisé lorsqu'on conscient de qc. Ou quand on connaît une personne

Original post by BCMFM16
Read the entire post next time. You'll see that I'm mentioned noting down vocabulary and grammar above. :^_^:

?

Ces choses ne sont pas importantes quand tu parles parce qu'elles ne sont pas entendues :smile:

Aussi, t'as été corrigé, mais c'est une chose fondamental :smile: utilise jamais l'infinitif après un pronom
Je pense que savoir est quand on sait un fait... Et connaître est utilisé lorsqu'on conscient de qc. Ou quand on connaît une personne

?

Ces choses ne sont pas importantes quand tu parles parce qu'elles ne sont pas entendues :smile:

Aussi, t'as été corrigé, mais c'est une chose fondamental :smile: utilise jamais l'infinitif après un pronom

Je ne sais pas??

Quick Reply

Latest