The Student Room Group

Should Women be paid the same prize money as Men for ALL sports?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pane123
If they play to the same standard then yes, but there are very few sports in which this is possible.

Helen Grant wants male and female footballers to be paid the same, which is nothing short of absurd.

Actually, in sport I don't think it really matters if they're the same standards, what matters is their ability to bring in the revenue.

Men's sports have high prizes because of high ticket costs and the high cost of television rights. If women's sports had the same money going in, they'd have the same money coming out.

Yes, standards are linked to the revenue, but it's not exclusive.
Why don't men get paid the same as female beach volleyball players? Why don't men get paid more than woman in tennis in grand slams where they play for longer?

Wtf is she smoking.
There should be no prize money, people should compete for pride and honour.
Original post by Drewski
Actually, in sport I don't think it really matters if they're the same standards, what matters is their ability to bring in the revenue.

Men's sports have high prizes because of high ticket costs and the high cost of television rights. If women's sports had the same money going in, they'd have the same money coming out.

Yes, standards are linked to the revenue, but it's not exclusive.

My mention of standard was in response to a post which suggested that women should be allowed compete alongside men; it didn't have anything to do with prize money being related to ability.

So, basically, I agree with everything you have said.
In fact, let's do away with gender in sport. Let's have men and women competing against each other at every level and then we can see how much prize money women earn.
Men and Women should receive the same percentage of the money raised for their specific sport. For example if there was a money prize for a football game, and the money made off the men's game was £500,000 and the women's game made only £100,000. The winners should both receive, say, 10% of the money gross profit, meaning that the men received £50,000 and the girls will receive £10,000. By splitting the money this way it is still fair, but the men will earn more because of supply & demand
If no one here agrees that men and women should get the same prize money...who the hell is agreeing in real life?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
If no one here agrees that men and women should get the same prize money...who the hell is agreeing in real life?

A very small minority that nobody cares about.
Original post by Jammy Duel
A very small minority that nobody cares about.

Thank God for that.
Women sports dont get as much interest, therefore prizes are obviously going to be lower. That applies to anything, men in ping pong or other non popular sports don't get as much money either. However, what about tennis? The women that play tennis win the most money out of any sport out there, point invalid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd like to see a year where they axe gender divisions and see how it goes. If women can compete with men then why shouldn't they play the same sport together?
I think they should.

Then the crazy economic bubble that football lives in would go pop and it'll be fun to watch the fallout.
Reply 32
As much as I'm all for closing the pay gap, in the case of sports, it has to be a no I'm afraid. Take football for example, paying the women the same amount as the men just simply wouldn't work. While the top men's teams attract 60/70,000 paying spectators a week along with the huge sponsorship and TV deals that the men's game receives, the top women's teams are sometimes lucky to get 1,000 paying spectators a week and who on earth would come up with the money to pay the women £250k a week?

They should certainly keep looking to raise the profile of women's sports like women's football and they are doing that somewhat in this country with the overhaul of the women's league and the England team playing at Wembley this year, but unfortunately, people are just going to have to live with the fact that in terms of sports like football, the gender gap is unlikely to go away soon.
Original post by Olie
As much as I'm all for closing the pay gap, in the case of sports, it has to be a no I'm afraid. Take football for example, paying the women the same amount as the men just simply wouldn't work. While the top men's teams attract 60/70,000 paying spectators a week along with the huge sponsorship and TV deals that the men's game receives, the top women's teams are sometimes lucky to get 1,000 paying spectators a week and who on earth would come up with the money to pay the women £250k a week?

They should certainly keep looking to raise the profile of women's sports like women's football and they are doing that somewhat in this country with the overhaul of the women's league and the England team playing at Wembley this year, but unfortunately, people are just going to have to live with the fact that in terms of sports like football, the gender gap is unlikely to go away soon.

They could always reduce the amount the players are paid to come about the same result, but then there would probably just be more direct sponsorship of players so men will still end up with more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Viva Emptiness

The Minister for Sport: an elected MP and trained solicitor.

She did only go to Hull though. That's probably the reasoning. And she used to be in the Labour party before becoming a Tory. Clearly confused about many things.
Certainly not for football.
Original post by Nichrome
Helen Grant says in a BBC article today that the pay gap needs to be closed, and that for 30% of sports, men are paid more than women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29744400

What do you guys think? Should we pool the millions of pounds generated by the Premier League and split it evenly between the PL and the WSL?

No. You get paid what you earn, that includes from your performances and goals scored; your team and their fan support and profit from success in games; your career status and credentials; your management, your personal profits from endorsements and investments; your demand.... If we just split everything 50-50 what the :teehee: kind of economy and business is that?

I believe in equality. Equality doesn't mean entitlement for one group just because it's a nicety or formality. Equality means as long as you have earned this, you deserve it and therefore how you are paid reflects what you have worked for-as slavery and chauvinism is the complete opposite of that, for example. But not just getting paid equally in vain or getting paid more because "why the hell not?" Ugh. :colonhash:
(edited 9 years ago)
I can understand the argument of "while they may not both play the same number of games, if they both work for the same amount of time (training, playing etc) they should get the same." even if it does sound awfully left wing, so I wonder what the idiot's position would be in this hypothetical sport and situation:

This hypothetical sport only has 1 competition per year, in the women's category there are only two competitors, A and B. Now, A is so much better than B that no matter how much B trains it would be impossible to beat A, consequently they both hold down full time jobs and only play during the competition. On the other hand, there are enough male competitors in this competition that it lasts all year, and every player has to compete [arbitrary number of times] to even have a hope of winning, and when they aren't playing they're training. Should the prize money for both the male and female competitions be the same?

Of course not.
Original post by Maid Marian
Only if they are doing the same amount of work. The same pay in tennis, for example, is a farce because they only do 3 sets compared to the 5 that men do.

The players don't get paid in tennis, they earn prize money based on how far in the tournament they get. The reason for the same prize money is that both the male and female competitors have to beat the same number of competitors to come top of their draw. It isn't equal reward for equal playing time, it is equal reward for equal achievement.

For example many matches that men play are only 3 sets, should they get less prize money than men who play 4 or 5 sets?
If the women bring in more revenue then they should be paid accordingly. However with some sports the athletes don't even have a min wage which is ridiculous. For example in cycling many of the women have to work part time jobs and train and race. How can they realistically be expected to pull in more sponsors if they can't race as well due to their disrupted training?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending