The Student Room Group

Starting job as a waitress on Saturday - share your experiences :)

Like I said in the title, I've got my first shift working in a restaurant coming up! What's it like being new at this job? What did you do during your first few shifts? Was it difficult to get used to?
I've previously worked at Mcdonalds while doing my A-levels and their training was very structured and I only did simple tasks at the start (rather than being thrown onto my own till straight away) but I imagine it's a little different as a waitress. I'm a bit of an anxious person so I guess knowing what to expect would help me a little :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hi, make sure you wear comfortable shoes for a start as I started a job in a restaurant in a new pair of shoes and had blisters by the end of the night! smile and be happy that should bring in some tips, and just be prepared to be busy as its quite a tiring job :smile:
Reply 2
I used to work at Bar 360 at Thorpe Park and I would say it is very demanding if it is a big restaurant. There will be times where you might have to do so many things all at once so prioritising is key. Sometimes when it's quiet you're literally doing nothing at all and you will be bored out of your mind, but I think your job is much more exciting than retail. And yes, wear black leather trainers if you have one because you are going to be on your feet for the whole day. I learned that the hard way. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending