The Student Room Group

ICT Engineerig personal statment

Hello everybody:smile: I really need help with personal statment for ICT engineering studies. I am almost done, but I am confused, how to express my interest and suitable skills for these studies. I do not have experience in this area, but I am intrested in it, I fix computers, I play computer games, I would like to create game by myself. Help me to expand on it:/

Thanks a lot!!
Fixing computers sounds like a good place to start :smile: Talk about why those things interest you and what you gained from the experiences (altho maybe not the playing computer games)
Original post by *Interrobang*
Fixing computers sounds like a good place to start :smile: Talk about why those things interest you and what you gained from the experiences (altho maybe not the playing computer games)

Why not?

Setting up your own customer server with your own modifications, access restrictions, rules and the networking components behind it (ie NAT, IP configuration) is all relevant experience. As is modifying games, creating new content, troubleshooting issues and optimisation. :yep:

Gaming can be very straight forward if you're not bothered for pushing yourself, but you can learn a lot from gaming.

Take mods in Skyrim for example. Some of them require additional configuration through modification of .INI files, and you need to have an understanding of conflicts and dependencies too else you'll never get the game running at all. Whilst it's perhaps not the most relevant experience in the work place, it is very good as an introduction to the fundamental logics of IT systems.
Reply 3
Thank you :smile: I should really expand on this, maybe to mention that I quite intrested in this program, because I like to learn a lot of new things, and technology changes with time, ever day something new comes out. Also, that I like to read technologies news site, where I find intresting things about IT.
Reply 4
Original post by *Interrobang*

Thank you :smile: I should really expand on this, maybe to mention that I quite intrested in this program, because I like to learn a lot of new things, and technology changes with time, ever day something new comes out. Also, that I like to read technologies news site, where I find intresting things about IT.
Reply 5
Original post by mikeyd85
Why not?

Setting up your own customer server with your own modifications, access restrictions, rules and the networking components behind it (ie NAT, IP configuration) is all relevant experience. As is modifying games, creating new content, troubleshooting issues and optimisation. :yep:

Gaming can be very straight forward if you're not bothered for pushing yourself, but you can learn a lot from gaming.

Take mods in Skyrim for example. Some of them require additional configuration through modification of .INI files, and you need to have an understanding of conflicts and dependencies too else you'll never get the game running at all. Whilst it's perhaps not the most relevant experience in the work place, it is very good as an introduction to the fundamental logics of IT systems.

Thank you ! Maybe you can mention some skills, related to IT? I am not sure what kind of skills could help me to stand out, because I don't have experience in this area..
Original post by Gin877
Thank you ! Maybe you can mention some skills, related to IT? I am not sure what kind of skills could help me to stand out, because I don't have experience in this area..

TBH, logic is the most fundamental skill in ICT. Every system is built around a set of logics and processes. Being able to understand these is incredibly important.
Original post by mikeyd85
Why not?

I said playing games, not doing any extra things that you've mentioned. It does depend on what you've done in relation to playing - just playing the games isn't relevant, but the other things you've mentioned could well be useful experience
Reply 8
Original post by Gin877

Thank you both:smile:. But what do you think, if I don't have almost zero experience, any achievments in this field. Will I be not suitable candidat? I guess I should writing how strong am I motivated to learn these thinks, yeah?
The honest answer is I don't know - unis will be looking at your whole application - PS, predicted and actual grades, reference. .. you may have similar levels of experience to a large number of other candidates, but I have no idea. The support in this forum is just to help you get your PS as good as it can be
Reply 10
Focus on the modding of the games as opposed to the playing them. You could say you used to play them from a young age but as you've got older your interests deepened and you wanted to know how they worked. Just continue on from there. If you focus too much on playing games then it's going to send out the wrong message entirely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending