The Student Room Group

'Trick or treating' in the UK - what's the point?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My mum never believed in it as she said its begging but my dad used to take us. My mum did buy sweets in though and it was nicer tonight, we got a few genuine kids under 10 but I live in a village down a dark lane. When I lived in a town we took my sister trick or treating a woman let her massive dog out on my younger sister - it was vicious. We used to get trouble in the town too with teenagers doing it.

I probably won't answer to trick or treaters when I get my own place, I think its better to have your own fun as family and friends, hosting a party or something.
We haven't given out sweets in ages, and my mums said no a few times and we haven't been egged
Original post by MidnightDream
We haven't given out sweets in ages, and my mums said no a few times and we haven't been egged

I'm so confused. People get egged... for not giving out sweets? What kind of nonsense is that? :lolwut:
Original post by karmacrunch
I'm so confused. People get egged... for not giving out sweets? What kind of nonsense is that? :lolwut:

Seems like it :laugh: people these days :tongue:
Seems like it :laugh: people these days :tongue:

Oh wow. :eek: I've never heard of that happening before until now but I agree. :tongue:
Original post by karmacrunch
Oh wow. :eek: I've never heard of that happening before until now but I agree. :tongue:

:five: neither had I before I read this thread :laugh: but I guess it also depends on where you live and stuff :dontknow:
:five: neither had I before I read this thread :laugh: but I guess it also depends on where you live and stuff :dontknow:

Ah okay. :teehee: I think so because I've never heard of anyone getting egged where I live. :erm:
what I do - get super sour sweets, dip them in chilli powder and then hand those out :colone:
I think people are taking Halloween as more than it is. It's just a night for kids to have some fun, to get dressed up and get some sugar. For most teen-adult women it's just a slut night (obviously, not all do this).
The only thing I would argue is that the point of Halloween (All Souls Eve) doesn't really come across. Nobody celebrates the idea of Halloween, people just dress up. But then, how many people REALLY treat Christmas as Jesus' birth?

There doesn't have to be a point to everything, sometimes it's just nice to have a bit of fun and escape reality for a night. It's good for their imagination.
We got just under 100 trick or treaters this year, must under 10 years old. I personally had lots of fun opening the door and talking to them about their costumes, most had parents with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending