The Student Room Group

General Practitioner - What A levels and grades needed?

Hey guys so im currently in yr 11 and will need to pick my A levels by april. So for my GCSE i am doing (options)-Triple science, geography, business, French, (compulsory) - religious education, Maths, English lit and lang.

Im want to do something within science or math. I would prefer a career in medicine such as being a GP. What A levels and grades would i need to be a self employed GP?
I want to pick biology, chemistry, maths and economics... are these good options?
Also does anyone know what is the average salary a self employed GP makes in London, England compared to somewhere like in California, USA?

Thank you in advance.
You'll need to have a profile of A*/A GCSE grades as well as a minimum of AAA at A-level to study medicine.

The rest of the questions I do not have an answer for.

Edit: But those A-level choices look more than fine. For medicine, it's usually expected that you study biology and chemistry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aty100
Hey guys so im currently in yr 11 and will need to pick my A levels by april. So for my GCSE i am doing (options)-Triple science, geography, business, French, (compulsory) - religious education, Maths, English lit and lang.

Im want to do something within science or math. I would prefer a career in medicine such as being a GP. What A levels and grades would i need to be a self employed GP?
I want to pick biology, chemistry, maths and economics... are these good options?
Also does anyone know what is the average salary a self employed GP makes in London, England compared to somewhere like in California, USA?

Thank you in advance.

Those A Level options are fine. :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for the help guys
Top tip universities now want to see some variation within a level choices. Facilitating subjects would be good.
Firstly you need to be accepted by medical school. 5/6 years. F1 F2 years as a very junior doctor. 3/4 years GP post graduate training including post grad exams (MRCGP etc) Leaves you as a qualified as a GP about 12 + years after A level. A level grades are pretty irrelevant once you are qualified and going into post grad training for GP or a hospital specialty.

Regarding remuneration hugely variable. GPs are a mix of salaried and partners in the business. Bottom of salaried might be £65K FTE top of partners earnings may be around £150K ish

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending