The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Studying languages at the Open University - does it work??

Hi,

I am starting work at a law firm next year, which will keep me pretty busy, but I want to improve my language skills and was thinking of doing the OU French diploma (currently A-level standard I guess). I'm woried about the speaking element though - do you end up with great reading/writing/listening but a dreadful accent and having no confidence to talk??

What are people's experiences? Do you do extra language lessons too??

Thanks,

Jo
Nearly everyone on my French module spoke French already or they lived in France. In my experience, there aren't many people who study languages with the OU from scratch who reach fluency. To answer your question, you won't end up with great listening or speaking skills because these aren't covered. The first time I ever spoke French in front of an OU tutor was at my exam. It should also be noted that you can’t do a diploma just in French; you will have to take modules in either another foreign language or English.

For languages, the OU just isn't worth the money. I spent £1500 on a French module, for that money I got 3 books and very limited access to a tutor every month or so. If I were you I would buy the OU French books on eBay and try to teach yourself. There are tons of resources online in terms of tutorials on YouTube etc. If you want a recognised qualification, take the Diplôme d'études en langue française (DELF) or the Diplôme approfondi de langue française (DALF). If you don't want to teach yourself then look to see if there are any evening classes near you, some colleges and most universities offer to them to the wider public.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I would also throw in the option to look for a good tutor. You can probably get as much one to one talking time with a native tutor based on £20 per hour, as you would spend in a class For about the same value where you would be listening to other pupils. I spent that on a Cuban Spanish tutor at least.

Quick Reply

Latest