The Student Room Group

Phd advice?

Hi guys,

So I've just graduated with an undergrad degree in anthropology (both social and bio). However I only got a 2.2 (59%) and was wondering if its worth me applying to phd positions now or is a masters a must? When I do eventually look for phd positions how would I do this? Would I just send emails out to researchers at different universities and try to 'sell' my idea? Would I apply for funding after or before I do this and will my supervisor help with this?

Thanks guys.
was wondering if its worth me applying to phd positions now or is a masters a must?

It kind of depends on what sort of schools you're looking at, but I'd say that most schools regardless ask for 2:1, and you're probably a bit better off doing a masters and getting a distinction there to "make up" for your undergrad, if you have the resources to do so.

When I do eventually look for phd positions how would I do this? Would I just send emails out to researchers at different universities and try to 'sell' my idea?

Yes.

Would I apply for funding after or before I do this and will my supervisor help with this?

Mostly on your own in my experience, although some supervisors will consent to help you look over your statement/proposal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending