The Student Room Group

What next? Postgraduate question in Arts

Hi all looking for some advice. I’ve just discovered that I have been awarded a first with an average of 80 for my BA and it’s so much better than I thought I would do. I’ve been unwell and had to study almost entirely from home and then really pull out the stops for my practical . My dissertation and research scores really highly considering it was almost without any input from tutors or feedback. With this in mind, I think I want to take it to the next level and go for a PhD . I’ve got a really ( in my opinion) strong research proposal . How do I pitch this? Who do I approach? and any tips for making the proposal stand out to get it approved? I’m based in London and need to stay here as I have have children and own my house.
Original post by Theartchick
Hi all looking for some advice. I’ve just discovered that I have been awarded a first with an average of 80 for my BA and it’s so much better than I thought I would do. I’ve been unwell and had to study almost entirely from home and then really pull out the stops for my practical . My dissertation and research scores really highly considering it was almost without any input from tutors or feedback. With this in mind, I think I want to take it to the next level and go for a PhD . I’ve got a really ( in my opinion) strong research proposal . How do I pitch this? Who do I approach? and any tips for making the proposal stand out to get it approved? I’m based in London and need to stay here as I have have children and own my house.

Hi there
sorry not too sure about advice but just wanted to message and say congratulations! Such a great achievement:smile:
Emily <3
Reply 2
To do a PhD, you will need to apply for one at a university. What you should do is look into PhD programs at London universities (since you want to remain London based), and have a look at the research interests of the staff in the relevant department(s). You can make a list of potential supervisors and reach out to them via email, letting them know a bit about your background (i.e. recently received your BA marks which average an 80), what your interests are, what you are intending to propose, and what is motivating you to do a PhD. You can note that their research interests seem to align with yours and would your topic be one they would consider supervising? You can also ask if they can offer any suggestions for putting together a solid research proposal as they may have some tips you can use to strengthen yours.

The usual path is to go from a BA to a MA, then to a PhD so they may suggest you go for a MA first (although it is possible to go straight to a PhD from a BA). If they do suggest an MA, please don't be disheartened but you can use that year to develop your interests and PhD proposal even further.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending